Is there a way to reset Ultra Power Saver Mode to default settings?

Mecandes

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
When I got my Samsung Galaxy S5, I installed Hangouts (set to use with SMS) and disabled Samsung's pre-installed Messages app. But when I went into the Ultra Power Saver Mode, I discovered that Hangouts is not supported in that mode. :confused:

Well, naturally, I need to be able to receive texts in Ultra Power Saver Mode, so I re-enabled the Messages app, and it works fine in non-power saving mode.

However, even after a reboot, when I enter UPSM, it still does not show Messages, nor does it appear in the list of available apps. It's my understanding that Messages should have been permanently displayed on the UPSM screen (i.e. I shouldn't have even been able to remove it), and so I assume the only reason it isn't there is because it was disabled when I first launched UPSM. (There was a glitchy moment where I tried to add Clock to the top right spot, and it did, but it called it "Messages" even though it launched the clock... again, seeming to indicate Messages should have been in that spot.)

Does anyone know if there is a way to reset UPSM to the default settings? I wondered if I could find UPSM as an app in the Application manager, perhaps I could clear the cache or data to wipe the settings... but I don't see it there (or I'm not sure what it's called).

jdubinc

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I have the same issue that you experieced caused by the same thing...any luck? I'm thinking of a reset but I don't wanna download all my apps again

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately, I never found a solution. I had to reset my phone to factory settings in order to fix this issue, alas.
I did some digging and couldn't find where in the OS power saving mode is stored. My suggestion is to always manually control what you want to disable so that other services are not affected. For example, disabling data will help conserve battery while still being able to receive calls/texts (no mms). The radio switching and searching for signal is a big strain on battery and you'll see some good improvements by just doing that. Disabling gps, Bluetooth and WiFi, along with reducing the screen brightness level to below 50% will help you tremendously.

Mecandes

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
Sorry, I should clarify that I didn't find a solution that didn't require rooting. It appears that if your device is rooted, there are ways to alter the list of apps in the Ultra Power Saving Mode... for example, search for "UPSM Manager *ROOT" in the Google Play store.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, but my post was asking about how to restore the ability to receive texts in the UPSM... not how to save power. :)
Sorry about that. I glanced at your post and interpreted it as you needed help finding out how to clear the UPSM settings/cache to re-enable messaging.

Aside from that, how are you liking the S5?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vignajeanniegolabek