Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Why is their no "dark mode" on the GS5 camera? Does it take pics in low light automatic? It doesnt s

Why is their no "dark mode" on the GS5 camera? Does it take pics in low light automatic? It doesnt seem to work very well so far. what am I doing wrong? I take a lot of pics at concerts with low light situations and they arent coming out very well so far. The GS4 had a great night mode and took great pics in low light. Do I need to adjust something? Any help is appreciated.

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: Why is their no "dark mode" on the GS5 camera? Does it take pics in low light automatic? It does

Turn on image stabilization for low light shots

Default Re: Why is their no "dark mode" on the GS5 camera? Does it take pics in low light automatic? It does

Just engage "image stabalizatrion" which is essentially the low ligfht setting.

I’ve found the ‘image stabilization’ function in low light to take a silly amount of time to do whatever it claims to be doing. I’ve turned it off and not seen much difference. Not sure what the deal is what that.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastfwd View Post
    I’ve found the ‘image stabilization’ function in low light to take a silly amount of time to do whatever it claims to be doing. I’ve turned it off and not seen much difference. Not sure what the deal is what that.
    Sadly I have to agree. I tried taking low light shots both with and without the image stabilization circuit engaged and can't really tell much of a difference. And it takes forever to complete whatever the heck it's supposed to be doing. Tried it both with and without HDR engaged and again, no difference noted. Am I missing something here?

Sent from my SM-G900V using AC Forums mobile app
    Sent from Verizon Galaxy S5 (usually) in NYC

Looking thought the S5 manual and have you tired the "white balance" setting? You can choose a setting for current light conditions. Just a suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    Looking thought the S5 manual and have you tired the "white balance" setting? You can choose a setting for current light conditions. Just a suggestion.
    ‘White Balance’ actually adjusts for the color temperature (I believe I am using the correct terminology here) of the ambient light. You’ll notice that the different selections are tied to various light sources; incandescent, florescent, daylight, cloudy, etc.

Different light casts a hue on your subject and white balance can be used to make adjustments to correct for your camera possibly not adjusting as it should if left in the ‘auto’ setting. Some conditions might be more difficult than others.

I’ve heard photographers suggest to always use ‘cloudy’ for landscape photography for example as a more advanced tip in getting the best look for landscape photography. It will warm up the look (warm = red, cool = blue). More advanced cameras may allow you to manually adjust and/or use one of those white cards to zero in your white balance, but I’ve never done that myself.

I tried the ‘cloudy’ setting on my S5 during some outdoor shots on a cloudy day and it looked awful unfortunately LOL. Probably would have been better off leaving it on auto. I’m not sure that was the definitive example of what the ‘cloudy’ setting looks like.

I’ve also seen my camcorder shift white balance halfway through during a lengthy recording of an indoor event that really looked horrible and made me wish I had locked it in to keep it consistent. Probably could have tweaked on it afterward in post processing, but didn’t bother for YouTube.

Global Posts
    368 Global Posts

It's a known fact that the S5 low light picture quality is poor. seems to be par for course on the Galaxy phones unfortunately.

I've discovered over the years that WB is almost always best left on Auto. Having said that, my latest camera, Canon SX50, takes better pictures inside on Incandescent setting.
    As for low light pictures...I just took two shots of the same low light scene. One with IS on (Night Scene) and one without. HDR on both. The picture with IS on was clearly better/cleaner. I thought the the EXIF would give the ISO rating but it doesn't mention it. Maybe in a different photo editor it would. I think a lot of people expect too much out of a phone camera and low light situations are a challenge for any camera other than a dSLR. Some bridge cameras can handle low light fairly well but the size of the sensor in a point and shoot camera, much less a phone camera is way too small to crank out excellent low light pictures. But a little noise reduction (I use Topaz DeNoise) and other minor tweaks in photo editor software can go a long way