Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default I was gonna get an S5 but.....

So I walked into the Verizon store last night, planning on using an upgrade to go from my S4 (which I've had for all of about two months) to the new S5. Well, the Fathers day special had come and gone so I couldn't get the thing for $100 anymore. However, they had a great deal on an LG G2 plus they even took a bit more off the price, so I ended up getting a G2 for about $64 which was basically the price of the Otterbox for it. Now I've had the G2 for less than a day but so far I can honestly say I like it better than my S4. The S4 (and my Galaxy Tab Pro) has an annoying issue with my work e-mail where it constantly changes any number of my old e-mails to "unread" so at any given time it will tell me I have sometimes as many as 30-40 unread e-mails. I was told by a knowledgeable friend that this is probably because our server at work is still an old POP3 server and apparently Samsung devices have an issue with that. None of the other Droid devices I have had over the years (mostly Motorola) have ever had this problem and so far, neither does the G2. My wife thinks I won't be happy with the G2 because it isn't exactly what I wanted and I should go back and get the S5 even at the higher cost. As I said I already like the G2 better than the S4 but this isn't to say that the S4 was not a great phone. Other than that e-mail issue it was fine. Great picture, fast cpu, decent camera. But there are a number of things I have noticed on the G2 that are mostly with the UI that I really like; so far there really isn't anything about the G2 that I don't like. So my question is this.... would I be happier with the S5 than I am with the G2? Is there enough difference and improvement going from the S4 to the S5 to justify the extra $$$?

Default Re: I was gonna get an S5 but.....

Keep the G2

Sent from my EVO using AC Forums mobile app
    Owner of a replacement Htc One... Till something better comes along
    LG G3
    Retired Ambassador

Honestly the G2 is a great phone, had an AT&T version for a short while and generally liked it. To me the differences between the two come down to screen, battery and storage capacity. When I had the G2, even though it has an LCD screen, it just did not perform well for me in sunlight. It just didn't seem bright enough and was difficult for me to see. The S5 on the other hand, even though it's amoled, works very well in sunlight, which usually isn't the case. Samsung really made this screen perform. The battery on the G2 has a big capacity and lasts a long time but is not removable like the S5's. That's never really been a big factor for me but removable and replaceable can be important. The G2, at least on Verizon if I remember correctly, has native wireless charging. With the S5 you have to add it with a new cover that changes the dimensions of the phone making getting cases difficult or get an add on wireless kit to fit under the existing cover. Lastly memory storage capacity, the G2 has 32gb non expandable capacity while the S5 has 16gb expandable with sd cards up to an additional 128gb. For me, I need a minimum of 32gb. So either way I get the needed capacity I'm usually fine.

Bottom line is, these are just my thoughts and opinions. What really matters is what phone you will be happy with and what works for you. Both are great phones.

I said it many times I love everything about the G2 except for the UI so if you're happy there's no reason not to keep it.

LG made changes to the UI that my only issue now with the G3 is the size. 5.2" is the perfect size.

Pro S5
    "I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie (THE NEWSROOM, HBO)

No experience with the G2, we have an older LG phone that works okay, I just don't like the UI.

The S5 does not mangle my emails, and when I mark the deleted they stay gone.

I have changed to CloudMagic for my email app. It has a terrific UI that is well worth investigating. Right now, the only down side to it is a lack of a SPAM button. I am writing to the author on that one. Ought to be an easy fix.

* CloudMagic - Email App - Android Apps on Google Play

The S5 has been a great phone for me. works good and the screen is viewable in direct sunlight. As I work outside that is a must have.

MacroDroid extends your battery life.
    MacroDroid senses Screen off, turns Wifi & Data OFF
    OTA updates via WiFi only:
    my WiFi is permanently OFF until Verizon fixes 5.0

You'll have to pay the restocking fee so it'll be even more expensive if you switch.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Galaxy S6 (32 GB) using AC Forums.

Global Posts
    161 Global Posts

I had the G2 for a week, and the same with the S5. During that time, I can tell you I very much favored the G2.

The S5 just stuttered and slowed down too much, due to TouchWiz. The G2, which doesn't exactly have an ideal UI, IMO, is much more speedy.

The G2's battery should also last a little longer, and the camera is one of the best out there. The only real concern is software updates. There is no telling how long LG will support the G2. But I guess this could probably be fixed with a new ROM, if needed.

The bottom line is, if you're happy with it, you should keep it.

I think you had a bum unit. No lags no atuttera, and I'm getting 6-7 hours of on screen time (far exceeding the G2)...

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    161 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slackerjack View Post
    I think you had a bum unit. No lags no atuttera, and I'm getting 6-7 hours of on screen time (far exceeding the G2)...

Posted via Android Central App
    It's possible.

I should say that it wasn't exactly slow, only slow compared to my G2. There was a lot of stuttering, however, but it was mostly confined to the home screen. Battery life was good, though. Just a little better than the S5 in my experience.

I guess it really comes down to personal preference, but in my experience the G2 seemed more refined. And considering the price difference, the G2 is definitely the best of the two for the money.

I have yet to experience the "stuttering" I read about.

maybe different folks think that the phone should react within 100 milliseconds of a keypress?

I have used computers since the 60s and you don't know the meaning of slow unless you were around during that time period.

My first bulletin board that I wrote ran on a single 300 baud modem phone line. All the users had to set back and hit "redial" until they had access to the bulletin board.

folks, you just don't know the meaning of "slow".

The S5 is quite good at what it does, and is not a laggard at anything it does.
    MacroDroid extends your battery life.
    MacroDroid senses Screen off, turns Wifi & Data OFF
    OTA updates via WiFi only:
    my WiFi is permanently OFF until Verizon fixes 5.0

Global Posts
    5,337 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

OP, the S5 has it's pros and cons of upgrading from the S4 - I know because I've done it. To be totally honest, I'm not wowed by the S5 but I'll keep it until I find something else. Since you've had the S4 and you know your way around Samsung and their UI, I'd say go with the G2 - I would have kept the M8 if the camera would have been better.
    "In God we trust....all others we investigate".

"Get yourself a Glock and lose that nickel plated sissy pistol".

One silly thing, the front camera on the S5 has a wide angle lens that results in distortion at either end of the long axis. Overall I can't really knock it, but if you got a G2 and it's working better than the S4 then keep riding that horse.

Quote Originally Posted by bembol View Post
    I said it many times I love everything about the G2 except for the UI so if you're happy there's no reason not to keep it.

LG made changes to the UI that my only issue now with the G3 is the size. 5.2" is the perfect size.

Pro S5
    Put a custom rom on it!

I absolutely love my S5, but if I were to go the LG route and in your place, I'd keep the S4 until the G3 launches. It's all personal preference, though. If you're okay with not having a flagship phone and you really like the G2, then you should definitely keep it.