Why does my G S5 have poor reception and continues to drop calls?

A

AC Question

Need advice!!! GS5 poor reception and dropping calls!

We could really use some advice; my wife and I just switched from old BB 9700 to the galaxy s5, and my wife noticed she could no longer make calls on the bottom floor of her building without them being dropped repeatedly; with the BB she had no problem making these calls. I have been trying to research the problem, and checking my phone, it tells me my signal strength is hovering around -120 dbm (and 16 asu, whatever that means) at home. I never had a reception problem with my BB at home either. To make this a little more confusing, we switched carriers from Rogers to Eastlink when we did this switch.

We're now about a week into our contracts, and have a week left for the grace period; the question is, is this the phone, or the network? Should we be ditching the gs5 for something with better reception? We love the phone, but reception is really important for us. Is there a better phone to try? Thanks in advance for any help!!!

cropcop23

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
Re: Need advice!!! GS5 poor reception and dropping calls!

Wanted to add, in Status, I'm getting:
Signal strength 120 DBMS 20 asu
Mobile network type : unknown
Service state: out of service
Roaming: not roaming
Mobile network state: disconnected

Does this explain whether the phone or network are at fault?
Thanks

Shawna Danea Sears

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
I would check your carrier's service area very thoroughly. I ran into that issue once. One would think the coverage wouldn't be any different, but that's just not true.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
-120 dbm is very borderline for a signal. 20 asu is good. Since you have changed carriers as well as phones, it is difficult to say unless you can borrow a Rogers sim card to check the signal with them.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante