Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Adware removal tips?

I am posting on behalf of a friend. His brother has adware on his Galaxy S5. What are some methods to get rid of Adware? Thanks in advance.

Global Posts
    4,103 Global Posts
    ROM
    Phoenix 1.6 Sense 5 4.2.2

Default Re: Adware removal tips?

Quote Originally Posted by neonworm View Post
    I am posting on behalf of a friend. His brother has adware on his Galaxy S5. What are some methods to get rid of Adware? Thanks in advance.
    Where are you seeing this? In an app, browser, etc...
    “Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who know only what to think.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

OMG BECKY IT'S ALMOST HERE. The greatest tool to modify almost any HTC phone is on the verge of release. Unlock bootloaders, flash recoveries, root, and more. Open source, powerful, end-to-end encryption, enhanced by Google Cloud. Best of all, it's 100% free. All built by me. Get ready to rock!

3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by wizzrah View Post
    Where are you seeing this? In an app, browser, etc...
    All around the phone. Even on the home screen.

Global Posts
    4,103 Global Posts
    ROM

All around the phone. Even on the home screen.
    Must be something he installed. Did he install any apps that aren't from the play store?

Try an ad detector to see if it finds anything: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...tgo.addetector

Might as well try Malwarebytes as well if it finds anything malicious: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...es.antimalware
    “Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who know only what to think.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

OMG BECKY IT'S ALMOST HERE. The greatest tool to modify almost any HTC phone is on the verge of release. Unlock bootloaders, flash recoveries, root, and more. Open source, powerful, end-to-end encryption, enhanced by Google Cloud. Best of all, it's 100% free. All built by me. Get ready to rock!

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Here is a screenshot of what Lookout found.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Adware removal tips?-screenshot_2014-06-21-13-57-21.jpg  

Global Posts
    4,103 Global Posts
    ROM

Here is a screenshot of what Lookout found.
    Try other programs on top of Lookout to see what they have to say.

Just for your info:

On the S5 you can hold down on the center Home Button and press the Power Button at the same time.
    In about 2 seconds you will hear a click and the screen will flicker.

That saves a Screenshot of the display.

You can then use the USB cord to hook to the PC and copy the screen shot out of
    S5/Pictures/Screenshots
    Verizon Galaxy S5 since Launch Day

Nova Prime, MacroDroid, Textra, Blue Mail
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by AZgl1500 View Post
    Just for your info:

On the S5 you can hold down on the center Home Button and press the Power Button at the same time.
    In about 2 seconds you will hear a click and the screen will flicker.

That saves a Screenshot of the display.

You can then use the USB cord to hook to the PC and copy the screen shot out of
    S5/Pictures/Screenshots
    Yeah I know, I just had to do this because my friend sent me the screenshots

Global Posts
    4,103 Global Posts
    ROM

Yeah I know, I just had to do this because my friend sent me the screenshots
    You're pretty literate in phones so you should know that by now. :P

10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

You're pretty literate in phones so you should know that by now. :P
    Huh? I was trying to do this in a hurry because it is urgent. I don't know why everybody is getting so worked up about it. I didn't care about doing it the "right" way, I just wanted to post it as quickly as possible. Geesh.

Edit: Sorry if that sounded rude, I didn't mean it to be

Global Posts
    4,103 Global Posts
    ROM

Huh? I was trying to do this in a hurry because it is urgent. I don't know why everybody is getting so worked up about it. I didn't care about doing it the "right" way, I just wanted to post it as quickly as possible. Geesh.

Edit: Sorry if that sounded rude, I didn't mean it to be
    Oh no, it wasn't. I was just messing around. Sorry if I offended you and apologies in advanced. I was referring to the guy who thought you didn't know how to take a screenshot. I just wanted to point out that you've been here for a while and can get around things efficiently.

Any luck in removing it?

12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Oh no, I was just messing with you. Sorry if I offended you and apologies in advanced. I was referring to the guy who thought you didn't know how to take a screenshot. I just wanted to point out that you've been here for a while and can get around things efficiently.
    It's fine It is my fault, I shouldn't have gotten so worked up over it. No worries
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Oh no, it wasn't. I was just messing around. Sorry if I offended you and apologies in advanced. I was referring to the guy who thought you didn't know how to take a screenshot. I just wanted to point out that you've been here for a while and can get around things efficiently.

Any luck in removing it?
    My friend hasn't texted back yet, so I have no idea. I will update this thread when he texts back. Thanks for the help so far

Global Posts
    4,103 Global Posts
    ROM

My friend hasn't texted back yet, so I have no idea. I will update this thread when he texts back. Thanks for the help so far
    Alright, will keep checking back here.

The problem with forums, and especially this one, is that the limited size and faces on the emoticons do not express "tone of voice"...

Sitting across the table from each other, you can call the kettle black and the other guy knows you are making a joke.

Type it out and it is interpreted in a lot of various ways.

IMO, the emoticon choices here really stink and are way too small.

this is from another forum I frequent.... don't know if it will show or not.

anyhoo, just saying..... hello and have a good read.

Download adblockplus.org and get rid of all those nasty ads.

Sent from my Galaxy S5

Global Posts
    4,103 Global Posts
    ROM

Quote Originally Posted by Kel M View Post

Sent from my Galaxy S5
    That might be a good idea. It will depend on where the ads are coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by Kel M View Post

Sent from my Galaxy S5
    That is a plugin for the Firefox Browser on a desktop, not for Android.

19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

My friend still hasn't contacted me back yet. I will try to get ahold of him today.

Global Posts
    4,103 Global Posts
    ROM

That is a plugin for the Firefox Browser on a desktop, not for Android.
    They have an Android App. It is also an add-on for the Firefox Mobile Browser.

They have an Android App. It is also an add-on for the Firefox Mobile Browser.
    Adblock does not show up in Play Store

and their web site does not mention Android.

provide a link, or it is just words.

Global Posts
    4,103 Global Posts
    ROM

Adblock does not show up in Play Store

and their web site does not mention Android.

provide a link, or it is just words.
    Google has banned all ad blocking apps from their store.

Here is a link on their website: https://adblockplus.org/en/android

Here is also the Firefox add-on you can put on your browser: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...us/?src=search

This is an article from a while back: http://www.androidcentral.com/google...ps-google-play

For fun, here is Adblockplus' official statement: https://adblockplus.org/blog/adblock...gle-play-store

Global Posts
    4,103 Global Posts
    ROM

My friend still hasn't contacted me back yet. I will try to get ahold of him today.
    Hey neon, any updates?

Well, I am happy to see that AdBlock Plus stayed the course.

I have them installed on my PC Firefox browser, which is my main browser of choice.
    I have NoScript installed on it also, between those two add ons, I never see an advert on Firefox.

wizzrah likes this.

Global Posts
    4,103 Global Posts
    ROM

Well, I am happy to see that AdBlock Plus stayed the course.

I have them installed on my PC Firefox browser, which is my main browser of choice.
    I have NoScript installed on it also, between those two add ons, I never see an advert on Firefox.
    I tend to minimize the use of adblock. I use it only on websites with annoying pop-ups. On websites from developers, I tend to disable it because I want to support their projects (they get revenue from ads). I feel it is only fair. Otherwise, adblock is great!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast