Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Re-format MicroSD from FAT32 to exFAT; slower USB transfer speed

I've been using my SD card in GS5, regularly transferring files between PC and phone using the USB cable. I had no complains about the speed, but I wanted to store file-sizes larger than 4GB on my MicroSD card.
    However, after reformatting it seems my transfer speed dropped a lot. It's hard to say how much since you can't view the transfer speed, but I tried transferring a 5.5GB file and it finished in about 20min, so < 5MB/s.

Anyway around this or is this the limit of exFAT on GS5? Surely it can't be the file system but something else?

Default Re: Re-format MicroSD from FAT32 to exFAT; slower USB transfer speed

I also use ExFat, just copied 7.06GB Movie in my Kingston microSD 64GB UHS-I using the SD card adapter.

It took 7:43.

IDK, try different card or methods to find the problem?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by bembol View Post
    I also use ExFat, just copied 7.06GB Movie in my Kingston microSD 64GB UHS-I using the SD card adapter.

It took 7:43.

IDK, try different card or methods to find the problem?
    Did you transfer from PC -> Phone using the USB cable? I'm just wondering if there's any precedence of slower transfer speed after formatting to another file system, and if there's anything I can do about it.

No. I think that method is the reason why.

I use the SD card adapter.