Sprint Wi-Fi calling?

dkjames71

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know if WiFi calling is available yet on the galaxy s5? Is anyone using it yet on their s5?

Posted via Android Central App

Ramer84015

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know if WiFi calling is available yet on the galaxy s5? Is anyone using it yet on their s5?

The latest update (NE5) includes wifi calling and it works great. No one seems to have gotten the OTA yet but if you want to install it via Odin it's available on the XDA forums. AFAIK, you would have to be rooted though.

TimmyTwo2

May 19, 2011
Visit site
The latest update (NE5) includes wifi calling and it works great. No one seems to have gotten the OTA yet but if you want to install it via Odin it's available on the XDA forums. AFAIK, you would have to be rooted though.
I haven't seen the OTA yet, I was looking on XDA for a zip, but haven't seen one. I always seemed to find the Zips for my SIII when it rolled out, I never actually took an OTA update from Sprint.

Ramer84015

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I haven't seen the OTA yet, I was looking on XDA for a zip, but haven't seen one. I always seemed to find the Zips for my SIII when it rolled out, I never actually took an OTA update from Sprint.

If you are not rooted, this is the one you want. XDA Link
If you are rooted, there are a few custom roms with NE5 baked in. My personal favorite is MOAR v1.0. It just came out over the weekend but it's rock solid.

rdaugh31

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I just got an OTA update about 15 minutes ago .I now have Wi Fi calling but the Android version is still 4.4.2

Last edited:

diamondRanch

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
I have Sprint and have been able to call and use my WiFi at same time since I got it. Is that what you mean?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Hey...off topic, but that German Shepard is gorgeous! I have a White German Shepard.

Also off topic... Nice! I haven't seen a white German Shepard before. I have a white Siberian Husky.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I have Sprint and have been able to call and use my WiFi at same time since I got it. Is that what you mean?

No they mean wifi calling which is where it uses the wifi you're on for the call versus the cell network.

TimmyTwo2

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I got the OTA today when I checked for updates, but I'm at work and the WiFi access point is always slammed to capacity and I can't connect. I'll try it at home.

Netherscourge

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
So what does WIFI calling actually do anyway?

Does it simply re-route your phone call over a WIFI connection instead of a cell connection? Can you call ANYONE you would normally call with WIFI calling? Even if the person you're calling doesn't use WIFI calling? Can you receive non-WIFI calls over WIFI?

Does it use your Sprint phone# and plan minutes? Or is it a completely separate service?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
So what does WIFI calling actually do anyway?

No they mean wifi calling which is where it uses the wifi you're on for the call versus the cell network.

This. It uses your wifi as the cell tower... That's it. Everything functions as if that wifi connection is a sprint cell tower.

TimmyTwo2

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Does it use your Sprint phone# and plan minutes? Or is it a completely separate service?

It doesn't use minutes or texts from the plan. I have a limited minute plan which I never really use, everything else is unlimited, so not a huge impact. However, Sprint just announced opening it up internationally, so this is going to be great when traveling internationally.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't use minutes or texts from the plan. I have a limited minute plan which I never really use, everything else is unlimited, so not a huge impact. However, Sprint just announced opening it up internationally, so this is going to be great when traveling internationally.

You sure on this? I know with T-Mobile it uses the wifi as a cell tower and that's it... Calls and texts are still logged regardless.

Edit - nope you're right... Sprint's wifi calling doesn't use minutes. Nice!