Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Sprint Wi-Fi calling?

Does anyone know if WiFi calling is available yet on the galaxy s5? Is anyone using it yet on their s5?

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: Sprint Wi-Fi calling?

If nothing else, there are 3rd party apps that do WiFi calling. I've used GrooVe IP successfully.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

LG G3 on Sprint. [Stumped and Bumped, Debloated, Startup apps managed, Trickster, Nova Prime, Swiftkey, G3 Tweakbox]--> Runs smooth as silk, now.

Quote Originally Posted by dkjames71 View Post
    Does anyone know if WiFi calling is available yet on the galaxy s5? Is anyone using it yet on their s5?

The latest update (NE5) includes wifi calling and it works great. No one seems to have gotten the OTA yet but if you want to install it via Odin it's available on the XDA forums. AFAIK, you would have to be rooted though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramer84015#AC View Post
    The latest update (NE5) includes wifi calling and it works great. No one seems to have gotten the OTA yet but if you want to install it via Odin it's available on the XDA forums. AFAIK, you would have to be rooted though.
    I haven't seen the OTA yet, I was looking on XDA for a zip, but haven't seen one. I always seemed to find the Zips for my SIII when it rolled out, I never actually took an OTA update from Sprint.

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTwo2 View Post
    I haven't seen the OTA yet, I was looking on XDA for a zip, but haven't seen one. I always seemed to find the Zips for my SIII when it rolled out, I never actually took an OTA update from Sprint.
    If you are not rooted, this is the one you want. XDA Link
    If you are rooted, there are a few custom roms with NE5 baked in. My personal favorite is MOAR v1.0. It just came out over the weekend but it's rock solid.

Thanks, I haven't used Odin before, guessing I can't load this via the stock recovery console can I?

I just got an OTA update about 15 minutes ago .I now have Wi Fi calling but the Android version is still 4.4.2

I have Sprint and have been able to call and use my WiFi at same time since I got it. Is that what you mean?

Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,997 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 5.1 Lollipop

Quote Originally Posted by dkjames71 View Post

Here you go...the latest:
    Sprint Samsung Galaxy S5 Update
    Current Device: Nexus 6 & Nexus Player

Current Carrier: Sprint

Global Posts
    1,997 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 5.1 Lollipop

Quote Originally Posted by diamondRanch View Post
    I have Sprint and have been able to call and use my WiFi at same time since I got it. Is that what you mean?

Hey...off topic, but that German Shepard is gorgeous! I have a White German Shepard.
    Current Device: Nexus 6 & Nexus Player

Current Carrier: Sprint

Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    Hey...off topic, but that German Shepard is gorgeous! I have a White German Shepard.
    Also off topic... Nice! I haven't seen a white German Shepard before. I have a white Siberian Husky.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my LG G4 using AC Forums.

Community Rules & Guidelines
    diamondRanch likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by diamondRanch View Post

No they mean wifi calling which is where it uses the wifi you're on for the call versus the cell network.

Thanked by:

I got the OTA today when I checked for updates, but I'm at work and the WiFi access point is always slammed to capacity and I can't connect. I'll try it at home.

So what does WIFI calling actually do anyway?

Does it simply re-route your phone call over a WIFI connection instead of a cell connection? Can you call ANYONE you would normally call with WIFI calling? Even if the person you're calling doesn't use WIFI calling? Can you receive non-WIFI calls over WIFI?

Does it use your Sprint phone# and plan minutes? Or is it a completely separate service?

Quote Originally Posted by Netherscourge View Post
    So what does WIFI calling actually do anyway?
    Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    No they mean wifi calling which is where it uses the wifi you're on for the call versus the cell network.

This. It uses your wifi as the cell tower... That's it. Everything functions as if that wifi connection is a sprint cell tower.

Quote Originally Posted by Netherscourge View Post

Does it use your Sprint phone# and plan minutes? Or is it a completely separate service?
    It doesn't use minutes or texts from the plan. I have a limited minute plan which I never really use, everything else is unlimited, so not a huge impact. However, Sprint just announced opening it up internationally, so this is going to be great when traveling internationally.

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTwo2 View Post
    It doesn't use minutes or texts from the plan. I have a limited minute plan which I never really use, everything else is unlimited, so not a huge impact. However, Sprint just announced opening it up internationally, so this is going to be great when traveling internationally.
    You sure on this? I know with T-Mobile it uses the wifi as a cell tower and that's it... Calls and texts are still logged regardless.

Edit - nope you're right... Sprint's wifi calling doesn't use minutes. Nice!

Yep, I'm just hoping international is the same, it does say in https://community.sprint.com/baw/com...wifi%20calling that international calls have international rates apply, but I'm hoping since I plan to use it to dial US numbers it will still be free from outside the US.

Why is this a big deal? My Bf's phone from 2007 does wifi calling....what phone doesn't?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Jackson View Post
    Why is this a big deal? My Bf's phone from 2007 does wifi calling....what phone doesn't?
    It's new for Sprint. For T-Mobile it's been around awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    It's new for Sprint. For T-Mobile it's been around awhile.

Oh Sprint...yeah.....sigh.....

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

Is there a way to enable WiFi?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by OddaKine View Post
    Is there a way to enable WiFi?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    Once you get the update from Sprint it adds an icon in the app drawer and a button in the settings too, both go to the same settings page ultimately to check WiFi calling and locate the address your at for 911 purposes.

Global Posts
    225 Global Posts

just received my 1st call with wifi calling on, beyond horrible. I could here caller with no trouble but caller could not hear me at all, this is worse then using the cell tower, ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by JD76ers View Post
    just received my 1st call with wifi calling on, beyond horrible. I could here caller with no trouble but caller could not hear me at all, this is worse then using the cell tower, ugh.
    Wondering if it was the speed of your network? I haven't had a call on WiFi yet, but I know my home network has a ton of devices connected, so I'm wondering if that has an effect? Guess it's good I mostly text.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast