Background Data Disabled : Google Play Store Needs background data to be Enabled.

Coolaaron88

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Hey S5 forum, I have noticed an issue with the Galaxy S5 that apparently only occurs with the Verizon variant. I work for a place called Wireless Advocates, we are the cell phone kiosk inside of Costco. I'm asking about this because I've had three customers come in to ask about this background data issue.

I'm not sure what triggers this issue but when I try opening up google play I get the "Background Data Disabled : Google Play Store Needs background data to be Enabled" error. It then gives you the ability to either quit or enable the data. If you press enable it takes you to the account screen in settings.

When I go to Data usage the option to "restrict background data" is greyed out. You can't even select it and it isn't checkmarked either. Just to clarify, accessing the internet and other things on the phone work perfectly fine. It's just the use of Google Play that is having issues. I called Samsung customer care and they aren't aware of this issue at all. I'm not sure if Verizon know about it but I figured I'd ask here because maybe someone else has experienced this issue with their galaxy s5. Also note that force stopping google play, play services, removing the google accounts and adding them back and rebooting the phone haven't solved it. After the reboot the phone will appear fine and then a box that says "Restricting background data".

Thanks for reading and hopefully this issue can be resolved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
Go to power saving mode and uncheck the box that says "block background data" ... Once that is cleared you will have access to the restrict data settings on individual apps again.

Posted via Android Central App

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I keep background data OFF all the time.

but, Google Play services requires two things.

Background data and sync. both of them have to be ON.

The only time I ever need sync is when downloading an app from Play Store, otherwise I have no use for it.

Background data I turn off because it is a huge waste of battery power.

I have not had any reason to regret turning both of those items OFF.
everything works like it is supposed to.

SAMmarked1

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
You will notice if you go to data usage this option should be there as well. It has to do with wifi/carrier data charges from apps running in the background. Due to all the constant updates these phones do people go over the data SO now we have a feature to disable background data usage.

Mr Tripod

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Re: Block Background Data : Google Play Store Needs background data to be Enabled

I was asked to troubleshoot a Galaxy S5 phone today which, for some reason, was not able to access the Google Play store, Weather app, Google+ Photos and other apps. I quickly surmised that the common thread was apps that require "Background Data" to sync.

Another clue was that under Settings > Data Usage, the setting "Restrict Background Data" -- while not checked -- was locked / unable to be changed.

Also, another clue as mentioned within this thread, was after opening Google Play store - the user is prompted that Background Data is required but not enabled.

The core issue for this device was the Power Savings settings of this phone. Under Settings > Quick Settings > Power Saving > Power Saving Mode (on) > Block Background Data. This setting was ON / Enabled / Checked. Once I unchecked / disabled it, not only did the main issue go away which I was troubleshooting ... but the aforementioned "Data Usage" > "Restrict Background Data" option was no longer greyed out / locked.

In my opinion, since the power saving feature clearly disabled the "Restrict Background Data" option, a toast or similar clue should be provided, when the user attempts to alter the greyed out / locked setting.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Re: Block Background Data : Google Play Store Needs background data to be Enabled

I used to purposefully lock out Background data on my phone and keep it that way,

but.... that said, I also know that when trying to download an app from the Play Store,
Background data has to be Enabled or the app won't download.

Recently, about a month ago, I took a totally different approach to Data/Background data.

I use MacroDroid to turn DATA, WIFI off when the screen locks. ie, the internet is DEAD, no app can use the internet while my phone is idle. For me, that is an ideal situation. No security breaches, no wasted battery power.

When MacroDroid senses that I have unlocked the screen, it restores everything to normal.
The very slight delay has not even been noticeable for me. By the time I can open an app, DATA is ready and waiting to be used.

Marcos C

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
I followed the steps recommended from Settings \ Data Usage..........etc........Background Data.

However, that did not fix it for me entirely. I then went to Settings \ Application Manager \ Google Play Store - cleared my cache, cleared my data, did a force stop. Then I went back to my main, called Google Play Store again..........and WALLA.......it's working.

GalaxyLuva

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
Go to power saving mode and uncheck the box that says "block background data" ... Once that is cleared you will have access to the restrict data settings on individual apps again.

Thank you so much......Unlike technical support you helped me fix the issue with my phone....

jmagid51

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
One additional step helps also and that is after force stop and clearing data and cache you should reboot the device.

The same steps also will clear up many issues with ANY app.

Enjoy.!!

Jacqueline Shepard

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Many thanks to 'Marcos' whose posting allowed me to fix the issue with Google Play Store - restrict background data was already unchecked but when I cleared cache it finally enabled me to search/download an app.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Yes, it does help a lot to clear out the cache and do a reboot.

I just went through this yesterday again when Google Services stopped working. Reporting the issue accomplishes nothing, unless you get a personal sort of warmness about pressing a Report Button.

How can a Report get through to Google, when Services has stopped?

Last edited:

davidlnewman

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I am on Verizon also. Just force stopping the google play store works for me. After that I can go back into google play and it works fine. The question I have is this seems to happen on a very regular basis. I would say multiple times a week. Why does it keep happening and what can be done to stop this?

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I am on Verizon also. Just force stopping the google play store works for me. After that I can go back into google play and it works fine. The question I have is this seems to happen on a very regular basis. I would say multiple times a week. Why does it keep happening and what can be done to stop this?

I note also that it happens far too frequently. Why should we have to force close/clear cache on the Play Store just to use it?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance