Does the volume control on the side work with the one in the settings?

MamaBear2014

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I got this S5 about a month ago - my first smart phone, and missed 2 or 3 business calls today ( at least I think it was today - Verizon's voice mail app was buried in a secondary page menu and I didn't even know where it was, or that it had 3 voice mails in it, and when I play them back, it doesn't say the day and date they were left ).

But what appears to have happened, was that the ring volume in the settings was at zero. I had it set all the way up. So I'm wondering if the volume buttons on the side of the phone can get bumped and result in the ring volume being turned down to zero and missing my calls like this? My purse pocket where the phone resides, is tight around it.

I thought, and was hoping, that the volume control on the side of the phone, would just adjust the volume of that call, not the ringtone volume too, and that the ringtone volume would stay set to what it had been in the settings. This could really screw me up. I may have lost some business now.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
They are one and the same.

Max it out in Settings "and you would think it would stay there"....

but it don't............

I have large hands, they don't make work gloves big enough for me.

Every time I pick up the phone, I hit the down button and mute the ringing volume.

It has happened to me on every phone I have owned, and caused me no end of ticked off horses rear end comments.... it should not be an outside controlled feature period.

I want to cut the outside volume buttons loose from the ringer volume.... all I need is a clever bit of programming......

betcha someone that is good in Tasker can handle that little project.

ie, IF Ring(vol) < 100%, then Ring(vol) = 100%

now how hard should that be in Tasker?

Really hard, since I just bought Tasker and have spent a week reading the tutorials and still am no where close to doing that.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, voice mail on ANY cellphone is the same.

Long Press the '1' key and it auto-dials Voice Mail.

MamaBear2014

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks! I have an idea now. I have a case on the phone, with rubber buttons that transfer pressure through to the buttons on the phone, I think. Maybe I could remove them, so I'd have to push down in a recessed area, at least, to change the volume.

MamaBear2014

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys, I just FIXED this! First of all, I bought the Spigen case - Galaxy S5 Case, Spigen Tough Armor Case for Galaxy S5, shortly after getting my S5, at:

Amazon.com: Galaxy S5 Case, Spigen Tough Armor Case for Galaxy S5 - Retail Packaging - Gunmetal (SGP10762): Cell Phones & Accessories

So here's what I just did. I didn't want to screw up the structural integrity of this case, by just cutting out the volume buttons entirely. But I'm a former electronics R&D technician and still have my tools around. So I removed the case and grabbed a small diagonal cutter and cut out JUST the rubber piece on the inside, that goes between the outer "Lower The Volume" button, and its corresponding button on the phone. Then I put the case back on. It works GREAT! What it does now, is that it makes it so that the case's rubber button on the "Volume Up" works just the same, as I didn't change that one, BUT the one for the "Lower The Volume" button doesn't make contact with the corresponding button on the phone anymore. IF I REALLY want to lower the volume, I can still do it, IF I press very deliberately - enough to push the outer rubber button down enough, so that it contacts the "Lower The Volume" button on the phone, but it SHOULD NOT be so easy to turn down if it gets lightly pressed or the leather on my cell phone pocket just pushes a little against it. I have to REALLY press it in now, and then it turns the volume down! So sometimes hardware solutions can work easier and faster than software ones. ;-) This whole thing just took me 5 minutes! :)

If anyone wants to, and knows how to list this as a major solution to this problem, please feel free. :)

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Good show on that case mod.

I think I shall investigate how the inside of my Speck CandyShell Grip case looks.

I can't tell you how many extremely important long distance calls I missed from my son half way around the world. That is simply inexcusable.

Likewise with 40 years experience with those teeny weeny flush side cutters and a smallish drip of solder on #40 wire w/kevlar insulation.... :)

MamaBear2014

May 14, 2014
Visit site
OK, here it is. My hardware "hack" ( literally LOL ). This was actually taken with the camera on my S5 and transferred wirelessly through my home WiFi using Airdroid. I'm surprised the camera focuses this close.

Samsung Galaxy 5 modification of down volume pad on Spigen Tough Armor case.jpg

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie