Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Google Now Launcher, a few questions

Okay, got it installed and the first thing I liked was that the Home Button will let me toggle back and forth between TouchWiz and Google Now's launcher.

This has given a huge sigh of relief because I can play and experiment with one and leave the other alone.... all is well and good with TouchWiz and don't plan any changes there. KISS, it works, why break it?

Now, with Google Now's launcher:

1) How do you create a new home page?
    I can't find a way to get it done, the menu key don't offer it up, long press don't bring it up, swiping to right or left to add a new page (like in TouchWiz) don't do it.

Well, I found one answer for how to do it from a horse's Azz in the comments on the Play Store.... he definitely does not understand the meaning of "There is no such thing as a Stupid Question" There are only Stupid Jerks who make inane comments about someone else's lack of knowledge. that jerk got a big flaming hands down marker.

The answer he gave is even wrong, although it put me on the right path. His answer? go to the widget folder and select a widget. The launcher will automatically create a new home screen for you on the right hand side.
    sorry Azz, but that is only partially right, you must slide the newly selected widget to the right and force a new page to come up.

2) How do you create folders?
    just like with 1), there are no menu shortcuts to be found.

still working on this one, anyone?

3) What other neat features have you found that it can do?
    Verizon Galaxy S5 since Launch Day, using ART
    Box Stock, not rooted
    Nova Prime, Textra, Blue Mail
    MacroDroid senses Scrn off=Wifi & Data OFF,
    senses Scrn on=WiFi & Data ON

Global Posts
    22,110 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: Google Now Launcher, a few questions

Quote Originally Posted by AZgl1500 View Post
    Okay, got it installed and the first thing I liked was that the Home Button will let me toggle back and forth between TouchWiz and Google Now's launcher.

This has given a huge sigh of relief because I can play and experiment with one and leave the other alone.... all is well and good with TouchWiz and don't plan any changes there. KISS, it works, why break it?

Now, with Google Now's launcher:

1) How do you create a new home page?
    I can't find a way to get it done, the menu key don't offer it up, long press don't bring it up, swiping to right or left to add a new page (like in TouchWiz) don't do it.

Well, I found one answer for how to do it from a horse's Azz in the comments on the Play Store.... he definitely does not understand the meaning of "There is no such thing as a Stupid Question" There are only Stupid Jerks who make inane comments about someone else's lack of knowledge. that jerk got a big flaming hands down marker.

The answer he gave is even wrong, although it put me on the right path. His answer? go to the widget folder and select a widget. The launcher will automatically create a new home screen for you on the right hand side.
    sorry Azz, but that is only partially right, you must slide the newly selected widget to the right and force a new page to come up.

2) How do you create folders?
    just like with 1), there are no menu shortcuts to be found.

still working on this one, anyone?

3) What other neat features have you found that it can do?

1. Drag any icon to the right and leave it there. As soon as you remove the icon, the launcher will automatically delete any blank pages. If your intent is to have one blank experimentation page, this can't be done.

2. You need to quickly drag an app shortcut over another app shortcut. The slower you go, the more the launcher will think you are intending to trade places.

3. You should be able to use the OK Google hot word from the home screen.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

FOLDERS:

You have to have two similarly sized icons on the screen. This is important, if they are different sizes it won't work.

Long press one of the icons and then drag and drop it on top of another one.
    The two icons will be shown as "overlapped" and I thought it was buggy...

Touch the overlapping icons and it opens into a folder showing the two original icons and "un-named folder" appears at the bottom. Touch the line that states "un-named folders".

I prefer all caps for folder names:
    Now you just name the folder. First one for me was NEWS.
    Box Stock, not rooted
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thank you for yet another way to get it done.
    Box Stock, not rooted
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

How can I get rid of the main home screen stuff?

I only want Google Now on the one home screen, it does not need to be on top of every screen, that is a waste of real estate.
    Box Stock, not rooted

Global Posts
    22,110 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Sorry, first time revisiting the thread and sometimes its hard to keep track of which launcher does what, as Nova allows editing of folder names. I haven't run Google launcher for a while, but can you edit the name by tapping on it?

From a Carbon M8 and AC Forums app

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

Global Posts
    573 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP 25/Imoseyon lean 2.2

Can the GNL import from Nova Launcher or just from Home? I never got a prompt to import and I am trying to figure a way to force it to do so.