Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pbandy34
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    ROM
    IncRom1.4

Default VZW Galaxy S5 new contact question

Hello everyone,

I'm the proud owner of a brand spanking (ok, 1 month old) white Galaxy S5 from Big Red. Being that I finally gave up the ghost and traded in my beloved rooted Galaxy Nexus (as well as my unlimited data account!), I was nervous at first but am really enjoying the experience thus far.

I do have one silly question that I'd appreciate an experts help on..

Whenever I add a contact, the S5 always creates a contact in my Google account as well as a contact on the phone. Is there any way to disable the phone from creating a local contact? I've used my Google account to manage my contacts for quite some time now and seeing the dup accounts on my phone is starting to annoy me. I would appreciate any help! Thank you!

Default Re: VZW Galaxy S5 new contact question

That doesn't happen on mine. I believe you only have one choice for each contact creation. I'm on AT&T but that shouldn't matter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by jmagid51 View Post
    That doesn't happen on mine. I believe you only have one choice for each contact creation. I'm on AT&T but that shouldn't matter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app
    Oh no, he is correct, and it pissed me off no end to have to select "which group" contact list I wanted.

I had contacts scattered all over the place and none of them sync'ing up.

My solution was to unlink the phone from the world and stay with only the phone's contact list.

I'm much happier now, the contact list gets backed up once a night via Verizon's Backup Assistant.

Also, Kies makes a full backup of contact lists.
    Verizon Galaxy S5

If I helped you, Please click
    Thanks button

Global Posts
    4,536 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Mine does the same thing with Verizon - a quick push of the Google button and your set. Google is the best for backups and unlike some, I won't ever use any backup application from the Red Devil.
    "In God we trust....all others we investigate".

"Get yourself a Glock and lose that nickel plated sissy pistol".
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    ROM
    IncRom1.4

Quote Originally Posted by ibcop View Post
    Mine does the same thing with Verizon - a quick push of the Google button and your set. Google is the best for backups and unlike some, I won't ever use any backup application from the Red Devil.
    I definitely agree that I would prefer for Google to run my backup because there's no assurance that I will always remain with VZW (or the Red Devil is what I'm guessing we're calling it now?!) or even with Samsung. But there's very little chance that I'm ever going to give up my Google Account. I was one of the first people to adopt a Gmail Account in the middle of 2004 and I've never looked back. Wow, I never realized that I've been a Google Fanboy for almost 10 years. Wow.

I'm sad that there's no way to disable the phone from creating a local contact, but I guess I'll have to learn to live with it. I guess that's a minor inconvenience compared to all the wonderful things this phone has done for me in the month that I've owned it.
    ibcop likes this.

You can have only specific contacts list display. open contacts, settings, contacts,contacts to display,and then choose which email or phone this to display. You can also customize which to display.

Hope this helps