Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Stock Messaging App

Some how lost all my messages except for the ones that were locked.

Is there a way to find the lost messages. As well a few of the messaging functions are no longer working.

Can the messaging app be re-installed?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app

Default Re: Stock Messaging App

As for lost items, I would say unless you've been backing them up there's no way to recover those. Even if you had a second SMS app the pool that messages are drawn from is shared and if a message is deleted in one place it's deleted in all places.

As for re-installing the app. That is not technically possible unless you're rooted. What you may be able to do is uninstall any updates and then re-install them. However the optimum thing to do would be to get a third party app. The stock app is pretty basic and really doesn't offer the bells and whistles that many of the other apps do. A lot of them also offer automatic backups of messages, which would give you some degree of recovery.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

How do I remove the updates?

4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I looked in the application manager and the stock messaging app is not listed???

Quote Originally Posted by jmagid51 View Post
    I looked in the application manager and the stock messaging app is not listed???

It's there listed as messages. I have it disabled so mine doesn't show any updates to uninstall, and there may not be any. But that would be as close as you could get to uninstalling it.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Found it ... no updates to uninstall though. I liked the app because it had a translate function that is no longer working. I don't want to do a reset but it looks like the only way to restore. Thanks for the help. Any recommendations for a messaging app with backup?

Handcent offers a backup and several other features. Some are offered in a paid version but most in the free. Go SMS has a good following, and so does chomp.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Going to try AT&T messaging. It's on both my S5 and Tab 3.0. It, will sync both devices and does backup to the AT&T cloud. We will see what, happens.

9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Got the app back and working. I cleared cache and data, that seemed to bring back the app to its current state. As for lost messages, it turns out that I was able to go to my Tab 3.0 and re-sync. All is now well. Thanks.