Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Will Samsung update Galaxy S5 to Android L before or after HTC updates the One M8?

Will Samsung update Galaxy S5 to Android L before or after HTC updates the One M8?
    (HTC promised update within 90 days after Android L is release to them)

Come to think of it, is the Galaxy S5 even capable?

Default Re: Will Samsung update Galaxy S5 to Android L before or after HTC updates the One M8?

Is it capable? That' must be a sarcastic question lol. They run the same hardware so if the HTC can run it, so can the S5. I'm personally an S5 owner, but I'm guessing that HTC will beat Samsung to the punch, at least here in the states anyway. I'll be happy to get the update, but it looks like more refinements than anything, so I'm not in a rush.

Sent from my XPS 12-9Q33 using Tapatalk

Default Re: Will Samsung update Galaxy S5 to Android L before or after HTC updates the One M8?

Great question. My last phone was an htc thunderbolt. At that time sense was the most extensive overlay by a mile and it took forever to get an update. Now it would seem that times have changed and TouchWiz is the extensive overlay that will take the longest to get an update.

I say htc gets it first.

its not samsung you should question, it is the carriers.

if u have version, expect it in january

Quote Originally Posted by CarrierPigeon View Post
    Will Samsung update Galaxy S5 to Android L before or after HTC updates the One M8?
    (HTC promised update within 90 days after Android L is release to them)

Come to think of it, is the Galaxy S5 even capable?
    This will depend more on the carrier you have than Samsung. You may get it quickly, but you probably won't.

If you wanted quick software updates, you unfortunately bought the wrong phone.

Quote Originally Posted by ab304945 View Post
    its not samsung you should question, it is the carriers.

if u have version, expect it in january
    I believe the carrier approval process adds the same amount of time weather you have a htc or a samsung. Of course if an update gets rejected, its revision has to go through the entire carrier approval process again in many cases.
    I agree verizon adds the most delay.

I just read on Yahoo news that "HTC announced on Wednesday that it will bring Android L to both the HTC One (M7) and the HTC One (M8) “within 90 days of receiving final software from Google.”

"L"? is this in line with Froyo, Gingerbread, Honeycomb, ICS, KK? If so, what's the current predicted name?

I just read this and hopefully it actually does help with android fragmentation. http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/26/a...view-hands-on/

Sent from my SM-G900V using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by monicakm View Post
    "L"? is this in line with Froyo, Gingerbread, Honeycomb, ICS, KK? If so, what's the current predicted name?
    I have not seen a predicted name, so I will offer two suggestions - Licorice or Lemon Meringue.

Quote Originally Posted by fleckrj View Post
    I have not seen a predicted name, so I will offer two suggestions - Licorice or Lemon Meringue.
    Some sites are saying Lollipop.

Global Posts
    278 Global Posts

They essentially tied last time, I am hoping for more of the same this time around

Global Posts
    252 Global Posts

Depends on which carrier you are on also. Even if the phone is capable of running it ,the carriers take their dear sweet time adding there crap to it first before we get it .

I have the answer for those on Verizon.

NEVER.

they don't do updates.
    My Galaxy S never got an update.... in 3 years.
    Verizon Galaxy S5

Quote Originally Posted by AZgl1500 View Post

NEVER.

they don't do updates.
    Sorry to hear that about your Galaxy S. Verizon kept up with my Droid RAZR maxx until Motorola itself stopped doing updates. Hopefully they'll do the same with the S5

NEVER.

they don't do updates.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonebk12 View Post
    Sorry to hear that about your Galaxy S. Verizon kept up with my Droid RAZR maxx until Motorola itself stopped doing updates. Hopefully they'll do the same with the S5
    My thunderbolt was updated into obsolescence. That phone took forever to get an update approved but they did update it from froyo through ice cream sandwich. I am pretty sure "L" will run great on the S5. Based on what I have seen the GPU might become a weak point for the "M" release. This is me speculating based on comments made in the keynote about working with graphics hardware companies to bring mobile graphics capabilities closer to that of desktop computers.

Being on T-Mobile, I hope they will offer the update for it. Not exactly sure what the new version will bring, but I am sure it will be interesting. Just got my S5, so time to learn how to use it.

Global Posts
    469 Global Posts

NEVER.

they don't do updates.
    Well, I guess things have changed since you left Verizon. My Verizon Galaxy S3 (bought July 2012 (23 months ago) @launch with a pre-order) is getting Kit Kat 4.4.3 today - almost 2 years. While there are still many things to complain about Samsung updates is not one of them. While I love my G2 I occasionally pull out the S3 (it is still in active use as an around the house MP3 player/handheld WiFi player) and it is still a nice running phone (I use Apex and have turned off most of the animations) - the 2 GB of RAM really helped future proof this phone and Jelly Bean runs quite nicely on this phone and if the cell and data radios had been better (typical Samsung weakness) I might still be using it regularly.

90 days?!?! All these changes Google is making why can't they figure out a way to bring updates (especially to flagships) the next day or so like Apple.

If and when it's released and it's available on the next flagship, I don't think I can wait. Again, patience. It's not in me. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by bembol View Post
    90 days?!?! All these changes Google is making why can't they figure out a way to bring updates (especially to flagships) the next day or so like Apple.

If and when it's released and it's available on the next flagship, I don't think I can wait. Again, patience. It's not in me. LOL
    Google isn't the one that said they will update within 90 days, that was HTC. 90 days is actually a really good time frame from receiving code for the new stock version of Android, to customizing it for their devices (the One M7 and M8), and getting it through testing to assure nothing breaks.
    HTC doesn't have access to all the code during Google's development of Android L, so there is no way that they can update the way Apple does, who has control over both the OS and the devices.
    Motorola DROID A855 (Retired) / Samsung Fascinate SCH-I500 (Sold) / Samsung Galaxy Nexus SCH-I515 (Sold) / Samsung Galaxy Note SGH-I717 (Sold) / LGE Nexus 4 E960 / LGE Nexus 5 D820 / Samsung Nexus 10
    Thanked by:
    bembol 

How does Sprint stack up with updates?

Quote Originally Posted by 1Coopgt View Post
    Depends on which carrier you are on also. Even if the phone is capable of running it ,the carriers take their dear sweet time adding there crap to it first before we get it .
    How is Sprint with speedy updates? Also how will samsung handle the new design of android L? The toggles in the notification tray won't match as well as the notifications in the lock screen and the task switching. Plus updating their stock apps. I have a feeling this update will take a while for the GS5

Quote Originally Posted by RavenNull View Post
    How is Sprint with speedy updates? Also how will samsung handle the new design of android L? The toggles in the notification tray won't match as well as the notifications in the lock screen and the task switching. Plus updating their stock apps. I have a feeling this update will take a while for the GS5
    When I had a GS3 Sprint was first with KitKat, so I'm hoping they are First with L too, not that that really says when.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    252 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RavenNull View Post
    Sorry couldn't tell ya. I'm on Verizon . Verizon is slowwwwwwwwwwww to update .

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTwo2 View Post
    When I had a GS3 Sprint was first with KitKat, so I'm hoping they are First with L too, not that that really says when.
    Just got some good news from Sprint. Sort of off topic but Spark is coming to my city in 3 months. Can't wait to try it out!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast