Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Samsung Galaxy S5 not ringing on occasion - any fixes?

I bought a Samsung Galaxy S5 two months ago (through Verizon), and soon noticed it was not ringing on occasion (most of the time it rings, sometimes it does not). When it did not ring, it also did not show a missed call. The only way I knew I had missed the call is when someone left a voice message. I spoke to all three levels of Verizon tech support - they made sure my calls weren't being blocked, replaced my SIM card, did a hard reset, and finally replaced my phone. The new one (also an S5) is having the same exact problem. Does anyone know how to fix the problem?

Default Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 not ringing on occasion - any fixes?

I ended up with the same problem when I ported my number to Verizon, from Sprint. No fixes, although I have far fewer problems with the S5 than I did with the HTC Rezound.

Posted via Android Central App

I have had that problem here at home a lot.

The phone does not ring, yet there is a voice mail.

What has happened is that the network did not "find your phone" within the specified amount of time to ring it. The network then switches the caller over to your voice mail so they can leave a message.

You can negate this effect by using the phone once in a while. I just press '1' to make it try to call my voice mail. What that does is to re-register the phone with the network so that it "knows where you are".

With my home location, the problem is exacerbated by the fact that I am using an in the home "Network Extender" mini cell site because of poor coverage in my home by Verizon.

When I get home, if I happen to think about it, I will call my voicemail and then the network knows I am using the Network Extender.... otherwise, it can't find me.

Funny thing about those missed calls. Text Messages ALWAYS WORK.
    MacroDroid senses Screen off, turns Wifi & Data OFF
    MacroDroid senses Screen on, turns WiFi & Data ON
    Thanked by 3:

Global Posts
    224 Global Posts

I am on Sprint and became aware of this issue last week. I have missed at least 3 calls in the last couple of days. Only way to tell is a VM notification appears. I will try the calling VM every once and a while, thanks for the tip, but this shouldn't be happening and is unacceptable.
    Thanked by:

I too have this problem on occasion. I normally just try to reboot my phone once a week, but I will have to try the "call voicemail" method to see if that helps. My post on this issue:
    S5 not ringing sometimes
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I'll give the VM call a try. I spoke with Verizon and Samsung tech support yesterday - Samsung offered to have the repair center replace my phone's motherboard, but I don't see how this will help since I've already received a replacement phone and am having the same problem with the second phone.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Thanks for the suggestion - will let you know if it works.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Just tried calling my VM - waited about 45 min and tried calling my cell from my land line. Cell phone didn't ring (and ended up getting my VM after several rings from the land line). Oh, well. It was worth a try. Thanks anyway for the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by AZgl1500 View Post
    I have had that problem here at home a lot.

The phone does not ring, yet there is a voice mail.

What has happened is that the network did not "find your phone" within the specified amount of time to ring it. The network then switches the caller over to your voice mail so they can leave a message.

You can negate this effect by using the phone once in a while. I just press '1' to make it try to call my voice mail. What that does is to re-register the phone with the network so that it "knows where you are".

With my home location, the problem is exacerbated by the fact that I am using an in the home "Network Extender" mini cell site because of poor coverage in my home by Verizon.

When I get home, if I happen to think about it, I will call my voicemail and then the network knows I am using the Network Extender.... otherwise, it can't find me.

Funny thing about those missed calls. Text Messages ALWAYS WORK.