Is it possible to get "Android L" on the Galaxy S5?

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
From what I read it's all 64 bit processing and I don't believe our chipsets can do 64 bit.

Do I have this right?

prlundberg

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I would think so. It will be available on current 32 bit Nexus devices, so why not?

Remains to be seen how long it will take Samsung to release it though, if they release it at all. Pretty safe bet that since the S5 doesn't run great on KitKat using ART, an update to L may not be a good idea. We'll see though I guess.

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Is this your opinion or do you have a legit source?

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
It's factual information based on historical data, Samsung has supported devices for longer than 3 months in the past, there is no reason to suggest Samsung will do otherwise with the S5.

The other aspect is that HTC has promised to provide an update to "L" for the M7/M8, it's bad publicity if Samsung doesn't provide the update for the S4/S5.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

prlundberg

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
It's factual information based on historical data,

Well, no, that would be your opinion which is based on historical data. I believe we will get it, I just don't know if I want it in Touchwiz form. If it takes more resources, no way, the phone struggles enough as it is with Touchwiz and Verizon bloat.

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site
L is 64 bit capable. It has nothing to do with your chip. It has to do with the number of addresses available to be called upon. You can have it compiled either way. Think about windows products. You could get a 32 or 64 bit version. Same operating system, running the same programs.

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Well, no, that would be your opinion which is based on historical data. I believe we will get it, I just don't know if I want it in Touchwiz form. If it takes more resources, no way, the phone struggles enough as it is with Touchwiz and Verizon bloat.

Optimization is key, Samsung didn't optimize TouchWiz all that well on the S5, with that said the S5 is still ten times smoother than the S4 was at time of release.

You also mention ART running poorly, you do realize ART is an experimental feature in kitkat and isn't 100% stable?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk