Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Is it possible to get "Android L" on the Galaxy S5?

From what I read it's all 64 bit processing and I don't believe our chipsets can do 64 bit.

Do I have this right?
    Sent from Verizon Galaxy S5 (usually) in NYC

Default Re: Is it possible to get "Android L" on the Galaxy S5?

I would think so. It will be available on current 32 bit Nexus devices, so why not?

Remains to be seen how long it will take Samsung to release it though, if they release it at all. Pretty safe bet that since the S5 doesn't run great on KitKat using ART, an update to L may not be a good idea. We'll see though I guess.

I guarantee you the S5 will get L.

Quote Originally Posted by puremeerkat View Post
    I guarantee you the S5 will get L.
    Is this your opinion or do you have a legit source?

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    Is this your opinion or do you have a legit source?

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    It's factual information based on historical data, Samsung has supported devices for longer than 3 months in the past, there is no reason to suggest Samsung will do otherwise with the S5.

The other aspect is that HTC has promised to provide an update to "L" for the M7/M8, it's bad publicity if Samsung doesn't provide the update for the S4/S5.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by msavic6 View Post
    It's factual information based on historical data,
    Well, no, that would be your opinion which is based on historical data. I believe we will get it, I just don't know if I want it in Touchwiz form. If it takes more resources, no way, the phone struggles enough as it is with Touchwiz and Verizon bloat.

L is 64 bit capable. It has nothing to do with your chip. It has to do with the number of addresses available to be called upon. You can have it compiled either way. Think about windows products. You could get a 32 or 64 bit version. Same operating system, running the same programs.

Quote Originally Posted by prlundberg View Post
    Well, no, that would be your opinion which is based on historical data. I believe we will get it, I just don't know if I want it in Touchwiz form. If it takes more resources, no way, the phone struggles enough as it is with Touchwiz and Verizon bloat.
    Optimization is key, Samsung didn't optimize TouchWiz all that well on the S5, with that said the S5 is still ten times smoother than the S4 was at time of release.

You also mention ART running poorly, you do realize ART is an experimental feature in kitkat and isn't 100% stable?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Based on the fact that the M8 is going to get the update, with the same processor as the S5. The 64 bit isn't an issue.