Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Phone crashed

Hey guys and girls!

My phone just crashed for no apparent reason. Was just surfing on it and all of a sudden boom, or just restarted itself. Here's a screen shot of the battery, what would of caused this to happen??

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using AC Forums mobile app
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Phone crashed-1403841760383.jpg  

Default Re: Phone crashed

Could be a number of things. It's this the first time it happened? If it is and doesn't happen again, just could be a hiccup.

Posted via Android Central App

First thing I would investigate is 3rd party apps, flashlight apps are notorious for crashes. Also it may have been syncing emails or Google accounts, this causes the phone to lock up too.

Quote Originally Posted by SAMmarked1 View Post
    First thing I would investigate is 3rd party apps, flashlight apps are notorious for crashes. Also it may have been syncing emails or Google accounts, this causes the phone to lock up too.

I agree with this.

I have turned OFF the Google Contacts Sync app on my phone. I do not want it trying to sync up to outside Google stuff.

I have never had my S5 do a restart on its' own and mine is a Launch Day special.

I have had it become unresponsive once or twice do to something I was trying to get done.... IIRC this was while I had Kies 3.0 backing the phone up. I learned to just walk away until Kies is finished.
    Verizon Galaxy S5

If I helped you, Please click
    Thanks button
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by ab304945 View Post
    Could be a number of things. It's this the first time it happened? If it is and doesn't happen again, just could be a hiccup.

First time this has ever happened. I have never had the phone just randomly crash on me. Although the S calendar and Android forums app has been crashing alot as well, states "unfortunately this app has stopped working" . I also have to two separate Gmail account syncing specific info for work and personal. Maybe it was the google accounts. I'll have to see if this happens again. I really don't want to reset my phone again

It happened to me also. I actually had to reset my phone afterwards because after my crash I started having massive battery drain, and developed some other phone problems. It was like the crash messed things up. It was fine prior to the crash, and it's been fine since the reset.

I seriously doubt it's any app or Google sync. I have the same apps (less actually) as I used on previous phones (including a GS4) without issue. It's a specific GS5 anomaly it seems. I have heard other reports of this as well.

Most common problems happen EVERY time the phone updates bc of kit kat. Remember unlike apple anyone can put apps in the play store, this is bad bc they might not keep upto date with changes. When you lay NEW software on top of old apps that is when you find these problems. I find I have to be SUPER careful in apps I download (given the permissions are way to much in the phone) access to mic, contacts, wifi, camera, who knows what these "apps" are doing in the background. This is why safe mode is your best friend when testing battery drain, loading the phone with stock usually shows you the problem is due to an app. Coming from Apple this is a HUGE annoyance for me but I love everything else about android. I just want more solid apps built so they don't crash or cause issues in the phones main OS.

8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Most common problems happen EVERY time the phone updates bc of kit kat. Remember unlike apple anyone can put apps in the play store, this is bad bc they might not keep upto date with changes. When you lay NEW software on top of old apps that is when you find these problems. I find I have to be SUPER careful in apps I download (given the permissions are way to much in the phone) access to mic, contacts, wifi, camera, who knows what these "apps" are doing in the background. This is why safe mode is your best friend when testing battery drain, loading the phone with stock usually shows you the problem is due to an app. Coming from Apple this is a HUGE annoyance for me but I love everything else about android. I just want more solid apps built so they don't crash or cause issues in the phones main OS.

I haven't had any issues with Apps within Google play. I find they are just as reliable as the App Store for iOS. Apple had the same issues over and over again. Android have been any worse, I'm very happy with my move to Android and the Galaxy S5. There's only a few things that bug me, and those are things I cannot figure out.

I wonder if I should write the cache partition and see if that helps a bit. A few apps are running very laggy and causes my phone to slow down. I just don't know which ones.

I don't want to use safe mode, last time I bored into safe mode my phones settings were reset. Which was super annoying....

My issue has nothing to do with apps. I'm not sure what you are downloading, but I have never had any issues with Play Store apps. There is something going on with my GS5 though, using the SAME apps I always have used..

Hi I'm having a different issue but can't seem to start a new thread! I just updated my galaxy 5 it rebooted and now won't recognise the touch screen ie can't swipe to get into the screen nor can I switch it off. I have missed 2calls that didn't ring . I have 88
    % battery so can't wait for that to run out. Any suggestions. I've only had it a fortnight and previously had iPhone so no clue how to use Samsung,

Quote Originally Posted by Noidea74 View Post
    Hi I'm having a different issue but can't seem to start a new thread! I just updated my galaxy 5 it rebooted and now won't recognise the touch screen ie can't swipe to get into the screen nor can I switch it off. I have missed 2calls that didn't ring . I have 88
    % battery so can't wait for that to run out. Any suggestions. I've only had it a fortnight and previously had iPhone so no clue how to use Samsung,
    Hold the power button, keep holding it until it forces a shut down, then restart the phone. See if that clears up the issue.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by Noidea74 View Post
    I would suggest even factory resetting the handset. I usually do this with updates. Once the handset is off, hold down the volume up down home button and owe button, one the phone vibrates let go. This will put you in a sort of recovery mode. Navigate using the volume up and down buttons to factory data reset, press the power button to choose your selection. This will erase everything on your phone and update any software and also correct any corrupted software. This will fix this your issue for sure.