Sprint data coverage truly sucks

dkjames71

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
For the last 4 years that I have had sprint with the 2 htc Evos I've had. ( the 4g wimax and the lte), I've always had to toggle airplane mode to get on 4g. I've had this Samsung Galaxy S5 over a month the last several days I've been having to toggle airplane mode again. So it's not htc or Samsungs issue it's the crappy sprint service. I shouldn't have to update my prl every day and the last few times I tried to update profile I got an error. Sigh*

Posted via Android Central App

macmov

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I think Sprint knows there only trump card is the fact they are the only company that has truly unlimited internet. My bill is at $150 for 3 phones and other carriers cant even come close to that. I travel country wide and use an average of 30-40 gigs a month of data. If it wasn't for all of that I would be long gone from sprint. I agree it is very frustrating.

dkjames71

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Well, I'm under contract with 5 lines. So switching won't be easy, especially with my wife she complains we pay too much for cell service already. I've looked into other carriers in the past and I think at&t and vzw are crazy with their prices I'm in Chicago and Sprint has improved with their updating of towers and what not over the last several months just pisses me off I thought those days where behind me with connection issue. I wish Sprint would get their **** together.

dkjames71

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Yeah macmov, there are days when there are no issues on the spark network and being unlimited is great.

TriBeard92

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Well, I'm under contract with 5 lines. So switching won't be easy, especially with my wife she complains we pay too much for cell service already. I've looked into other carriers in the past and I think at&t and vzw are crazy with their prices I'm in Chicago and Sprint has improved with their updating of towers and what not over the last several months just pisses me off I thought those days where behind me with connection issue. I wish Sprint would get their **** together.

Tmobile is pretty good in Chicago as I understand it, and they have unlimited Data and will buy out your contract.

diamondRanch

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
I think Sprint knows there only trump card is the fact they are the only company that has truly unlimited internet. My bill is at $150 for 3 phones and other carriers cant even come close to that. I travel country wide and use an average of 30-40 gigs a month of data. If it wasn't for all of that I would be long gone from sprint. I agree it is very frustrating.

Ditto for me too :-(

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site

Just out of curiosity, if you've had Sprint for this long and have been having issues, why renew your contract?

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site

I have been on VZW for 15+ years, 20? dunno, long time.

I have been "on contract" and "off contract" many times over. It just depends on my mood. Back in the day, I would just buy another flip phone off ebay in the cheap "refurbed" arena and go on w/o a contract.

Fast forward to this year and the S5 is available and I want it.... sigh! do I stay off contract and pay full price, or do I say okay and take it for $139 and two years on contract?

I took the contract because my SS check don't allow for a lot of frills in life.

VZW coverage is the best there is, but with any carrier, if they don't have a cell site nearby it don't matter, you go roaming....

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I have been on VZW for 15+ years, 20? dunno, long time.

I have been "on contract" and "off contract" many times over. It just depends on my mood. Back in the day, I would just buy another flip phone off ebay in the cheap "refurbed" arena and go on w/o a contract.

Fast forward to this year and the S5 is available and I want it.... sigh! do I stay off contract and pay full price, or do I say okay and take it for $139 and two years on contract?

I took the contract because my SS check don't allow for a lot of frills in life.

VZW coverage is the best there is, but with any carrier, if they don't have a cell site nearby it don't matter, you go roaming....

I don't think he has an issue with being in a contract.. I think he is basically saying he would have to pay ETF for 5 lines so switching would be super expensive.. That's more his issue.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't think he has an issue with being in a contract.. I think he is basically saying he would have to pay ETF for 5 lines so switching would be super expensive.. That's more his issue.

Tmobile has a test drive now... Try it out free for 7 days. If it works good where you need it, then have tmobile pay your etf. If it doesn't work out you aren't out anything.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Tmobile is pretty good in Chicago as I understand it, and they have unlimited Data and will buy out your contract.

It really depends on your specific location. Even within the same building it can make a huge difference exactly where you are.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It really depends on your specific location. Even within the same building it can make a huge difference exactly where you are.

Agreed. OP you should try T-Mobile's test drive... Free... And you can see how the network is in your area.

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
For the last 4 years that I have had sprint with the 2 htc Evos I've had. ( the 4g wimax and the lte), I've always had to toggle airplane mode to get on 4g. I've had this Samsung Galaxy S5 over a month the last several days I've been having to toggle airplane mode again. So it's not htc or Samsungs issue it's the crappy sprint service. I shouldn't have to update my prl every day and the last few times I tried to update profile I got an error. Sigh*

You do know what the issue is right? It's the spark implementation and how it (doesn't properly) hand off from CDMA back to LTE after a call or text comes in.

This isn't the phone, as you'd mentioned, its not even spark...its the towers you're hitting not having the right piece of handoff software installed as part of Network vision. This is going to happen on any device with Spark enabled (read: all Sprint devices going forward) until the towers are upgraded in round 2 of the NV.

Okay...that's the bad news....good news is that once the towers are updated...everything works fine. I live in Atlanta....between the city and Athens...so we were one of the first places to roll out LTE...and then the first with tower upgrades in NV2. Had my GS5 for about a week before the swap...and it was painful. Tower upgrade and everything is peachy...until I drive to the airport where (on the drive) there are four towers left to upgrade and I'm back to pre nv2. I was up in Illinois (deerfield) not too long ago...and that was hit or miss...so I'm assuming there's some work being done in IL.

Jack

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Maybe it's where you are at.

I always have 4g. Only place I loose it is a certain places at my work it drops to 3g I don't complain cause I am surpassed I get any signal at that spot.

If your area is currently getting its network vision upgrades, your service will get a little worse, not a lot but every now and then you will lose data completely. But once it is done is worth the wait.

Sure download speeds might not be as fast as the other 2. I get an average of 10mbps down currently, will be better once we get band 41 here. Sprint is cheaper and atleast where I am at the coverage is pretty much the same as att and Verizon. Plus unlimited data is nice. My friends that have att and Verizon always worrying about not going over their data limit. I just laugh.

alissa914

Jun 28, 2014
Visit site
I was thinking about switching to T-Mobile with the "try it free for 30 days" until I realized that EVERYONE has that. You can sign up and then you get either 14 days or 30 days to cancel the contract and return the phone. PLUS, on top of that, TMobile will put a $650 hold on your credit card for the value of the iPhone 5S that they give you. After I read that, I just stayed with AT&T. Sure, TMobile has all of these revolutionary things that they're doing (and thank God for that since it got AT&T to lower their prices quite a bit and give us installment plans), but when I went out to Cape Charles in VA and went on the Chesapeake Bay bridge, AT&T and Verizon were the only carriers there that actually had coverage in both places. And this was even 10 miles off land and on the bridge.

alissa914

Jun 28, 2014
Visit site
Maybe it's where you are at.

I always have 4g. Only place I loose it is a certain places at my work it drops to 3g I don't complain cause I am surpassed I get any signal at that spot.

If your area is currently getting its network vision upgrades, your service will get a little worse, not a lot but every now and then you will lose data completely. But once it is done is worth the wait.

Sure download speeds might not be as fast as the other 2. I get an average of 10mbps down currently, will be better once we get band 41 here. Sprint is cheaper and atleast where I am at the coverage is pretty much the same as att and Verizon. Plus unlimited data is nice. My friends that have att and Verizon always worrying about not going over their data limit. I just laugh.

I never worry about going over my data limit with AT&T. I get 10GB a month for 5 lines and even with streaming music with Google Play, we never really go over 4GB a month. For $199, I get 5 lines, unlimited text, voice, and more data than we actually use. Plus, if anyone goes well overboard with data, I can turn off their data...... I used to have Sprint and coverage was quite bad when I traveled. 4G didn't work well when I was driving at all (Wimax was even worse then).... Coverage was quite bad in fringe locations too with Sprint.

Plus when I lived in Los Angeles, Sprint coverage was horrible (absolutely horrible) until they decided to allow roaming on Verizon's towers for free with a PRL update and a new phone.... but even then, it wasn't that great.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking about switching to T-Mobile with the "try it free for 30 days" until I realized that EVERYONE has that. You can sign up and then you get either 14 days or 30 days to cancel the contract and return the phone. PLUS, on top of that, TMobile will put a $650 hold on your credit card for the value of the iPhone 5S that they give you. After I read that, I just stayed with AT&T. Sure, TMobile has all of these revolutionary things that they're doing (and thank God for that since it got AT&T to lower their prices quite a bit and give us installment plans), but when I went out to Cape Charles in VA and went on the Chesapeake Bay bridge, AT&T and Verizon were the only carriers there that actually had coverage in both places. And this was even 10 miles off land and on the bridge.

Yeah true most have the 14 day return or whatever but you still have to pay them.. Regardless. I tested Verizon and it cost me about $140 to do so. Sure I returned the phones and canceled contract but I still had to pay for the days we used the network... Activation fees... And restocking fees..... So the T-Mobile deal being 100% FREE.... Is a big thing. Sure they put a hold since they're handing you a device but once you return it the hold is released... I'd rather of had a hold that gets released then pay the 140 I did to Verizon to try it out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463