Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Samsung S5 not recognising micro SD cards

Hello,

I have a problem in that I have tried 2 brand new sandisk 32GB ultra UHS-4 and they are not being recognised.

I have reformatted them fat32 still nothing , I have tried formatting them as ntfs hoping for a format response by the phone, Nothing is it a phone problem or have I just be unlucky ??

Any help/advice would be greatly received.

Thanks,

Sam

Sorry Samsung S5
    Last edited by samIOW; 06-28-2014 at 02:42 PM. Reason: typo

Default Re: Samsung S5 not recognising micro SD cards

I don't think the S5 wants either of those formats.

When the card was new, did you try to format it first with the S5?

That seems to be the most reliable way that I have read about.

I don't have an SD card right now to try.... I lost it some where after I bought the darn thing.

It is so "huge, ya know" and it disappeared right on my table top....
    Verizon Galaxy S5 since Launch Day using ART

Nova Prime, Textra, Blue Mail
    MacroDroid > Scrn off/Wifi Data OFF > Scrn on/WiFi Data ON

Remove the SD card and then re-insert it with high pressure. The contacts require pressure to make a proper connection.

Quote Originally Posted by samIOW View Post
    Hello,

I have a problem in that I have tried 2 brand new sandisk 32GB ultra UHS-4 and they are not being recognised.

I have reformatted them fat32 still nothing , I have tried formatting them as ntfs hoping for a format response by the phone, Nothing is it a phone problem or have I just be unlucky ??

Any help/advice would be greatly received.

Thanks,

Sam

Sorry Samsung S5
    The SanDisk 32gb Ultra is a sdhc card that has fat32 file format as default. The S5 will read fat32 and exfat which is the default format for 64gb sdxc cards. As a general rule I format all my sd cards in the phone prior to putting any files on them. As for what you are experiencing, I would think that the likelyhood of getting two bad cards is remote. One card maybe, two in a row I would doubt. As was suggested by another poster, carefully align the card in the sd card slot and press it in gently but firmly to ensure proper contact. If the phone fails to read the card I would guess that you have two possible scenarios. One, you have a bad card slot (hardware problem) or two, you have software issues. I would think the most probable is software. I would suggest a factory data restore and try the sd card again at that point. A friend just purchased a S5 Active and his sd card failed to read after two days, it required a factory data restore and now the sd card performs perfectly. Performing the restore is a drastic step because you lose all your data (so backup whatever you want to keep) but sometimes it is the best (and often the only) solution to some issues. Hope this helps
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by mhunter6378 View Post
    The SanDisk 32gb Ultra is a sdhc card that has fat32 file format as default. The S5 will read fat32 and exfat which is the default format for 64gb sdxc cards. As a general rule I format all my sd cards in the phone prior to putting any files on them. As for what you are experiencing, I would think that the likelyhood of getting two bad cards is remote. One card maybe, two in a row I would doubt. As was suggested by another poster, carefully align the card in the sd card slot and press it in gently but firmly to ensure proper contact. If the phone fails to read the card I would guess that you have two possible scenarios. One, you have a bad card slot (hardware problem) or two, you have software issues. I would think the most probable is software. I would suggest a factory data restore and try the sd card again at that point. A friend just purchased a S5 Active and his sd card failed to read after two days, it required a factory data restore and now the sd card performs perfectly. Performing the restore is a drastic step because you lose all your data (so backup whatever you want to keep) but sometimes it is the best (and often the only) solution to some issues. Hope this helps

Thanks for all the replies , I have tried all of your suggestions and still no luck, I phoned Samsung and they are going to repair it, my problem is that it will be about 10 days without a phone.

I thought the factory reset might have stood the best chance , still, Thanks everybody.