Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree7Likes
  • 4 Post By jdmorin
  • 2 Post By Golfdriver97
  • 3 Post By Greg C
  • 2 Post By bembol
  • 1 Post By jdmorin
  • 1 Post By diego.roscetti
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    175 Global Posts

Default A new S5 believer!

Well this is strange.. Normally I post on Crackberry but have migrates over here

After awhile with various blackberry devices ... Today i picked up an S5. And I have to say it is pretty awesome. Love the features. Searched the interweb to maximize my useage. So far so good.

Looking forward to seeing you all on here!

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    30,899 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

Default Re: A new S5 believer!

Welcome to Android Central!!
    jdmorin and Johnly like this.

You are going to be impressed with the Super AMOLED 1080p HD display and the great battery life. The S5 is truly a flagship phone.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5
    jdmorin, Johnly and Kamori like this.

Never mind the specs, display, battery, etc.

Launch the Play Store and go crazy with the apps! LOL

Get ready to spends hours on customizing your S5. This is the video that really got me into android, one of my favourites on YouTube!

ColdfusTion

jdmorin and onemore brando like this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    175 Global Posts

Thanks everyone

Don't get me wrong.. Blackberry was good for texting and emails. Lacking on apps and overall specs. I had both a z10 and a q5.

Been playing with this bad boy all day and still discovering new things.

Found some helpful articles online too. Lots of different customization options. Glad I went with this.. Almost picked up an iPhone 5S

Golfdriver97 likes this.

Welcome to Android Central!

Global Posts
    4,693 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Kitkat

Welcome to the Android Community!

Sent from my One Xl using AC Forums mobile app

Welcome! Customize away!
    Also it's water resistant... So no worries about dropping in water! You can even take underwater selfies at the pool... I have a few lol

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

Welcome to Android Central!

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Global Posts
    175 Global Posts

Yeah, I know it was water resistant... That being said, I don't have any plans on taking this in the pool or dropping it in the toilet. I'm more using it as an 'Oops I got some rain water on it but don't have to worry'.

I've done what I can to minimize battery usage.... Got rid of bloatware, reduced the brightness... Dark colored screen (at least on the lock menu)... Found a tip about going into the Dev Options and reducing the animations (although I don't think that pertains to the battery, as much as it is for overall performance), no vibrate when I type.. All that sort of stuff.

My big questions is... Are these battery optimization apps effective / useful? I know I'm not going to get the 2-3 days of battery life I could with my Q5 and 1.5-2 days with my Z10. Just wanting to avoid the 8-10 hours of use I was getting with my old iPhone and my S3 when I had it a few years ago.

Thoughts?

Global Posts
    30,899 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

The apps I would avoid for the time being. Let the battery settle in, and see how you use it before making those kind of changes.

Signed, a Nexus 5, AC forums app, and Android L.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Global Posts
    175 Global Posts

Will do. Thanks.

I know my sister and her boyfriend (both got the S5 weeks ago) can get at least a full day on it with heavy use.. And they haven't done any sort of optimization on it. I'll see how much I get first.

big ups for introducing me to that guy's channel. it is great!

Im waiting for the galaxy F, but S5 is also a great phone better, great color, great screen and power management
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Global Posts
    175 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TizenGears View Post
    Im waiting for the galaxy F, but S5 is also a great phone better, great color, great screen and power management
    Isn't the Galaxy F a slight variant off the S5? Or maybe I mis-read an article I found online?

Global Posts
    5,739 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by jdmorin View Post
    Isn't the Galaxy F a slight variant off the S5? Or maybe I mis-read an article I found online?
    Yes, the F is a slight variant - better display (that your eyes can't notice), 3gb RAM, and probably a better battery.

17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Global Posts
    175 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ibcop View Post
    Yes, the F is a slight variant - better display (that your eyes can't notice), 3gb RAM, and probably a better battery.

Better battery, huh? The S5 battery is pretty good.. Been on this all day and haven't hit 50%. Downloading a ton and been playing with it all day. No complaints on battery life. Although I'm sure a better battery would make this even better.

Welcome and enjoy!

Well this is strange.. Normally I post on Crackberry but have migrates over here

After awhile with various blackberry devices ... Today i picked up an S5. And I have to say it is pretty awesome. Love the features. Searched the interweb to maximize my useage. So far so good.

Welcome to the Android Club! Specifically Samsung! <3 )

It was also very strange for me. I was a diehard Crackberry user for the last 7 years. I got my s5 a week ago and am not looking back. Still am loving this badboy.

Downloaded Nova Launcher Prime and customized everything to my liking.

Welcome from a fellow Android Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by diego.roscetti View Post
    It was also very strange for me. I was a diehard Crackberry user for the last 7 years. I got my s5 a week ago and am not looking back. Still am loving this badboy.

Downloaded Nova Launcher Prime and customized everything to my liking.

Welcome from a fellow Android Newbie
    Hey....me too!!! Was on Crackberry and now here!! Love my S5 and I also am not looking back. I do like the TouchWiz so I am still on the fence about Nova Launcher. Maybe.........

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    Hey....me too!!! Was on Crackberry and now here!! Love my S5 and I also am not looking back. I do like the TouchWiz so I am still on the fence about Nova Launcher. Maybe.........
    I was on the fence about Nova as well. TouchWiz was fine for me. I got overwhelmed when I first downloaded Nova. So many options.

I took my time to go through all of them and am not looking back now.

The thing that sold me on Nova was the gestures. Being able to customize all my gestures to open apps or tasks quickly was the selling point for me.
    Mojave likes this.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Global Posts
    175 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by diego.roscetti View Post
    I was on the fence about Nova as well. TouchWiz was fine for me. I got overwhelmed when I first downloaded Nova. So many options.

I took my time to go through all of them and am not looking back now.

The thing that sold me on Nova was the gestures. Being able to customize all my gestures to open apps or tasks quickly was the selling point for me.
    I'll have to check out Nova. TouchWiz seems fine though.

I did change the keyboard to the Google Keyboard (I think Samsung had one pre-installed?). Also downloaded Adobe Photoshop (Had a Google Play credit, so didn't cost anything). Should be interesting.

Long time Google fan though.. Love gmail (also run my own email domain off them).. Have a Chromebook and Chromecast.. Just need to replace my iPad with an Android tablet and I'm set. The interconnectivity of them all is what I really like about it (well, not so much the 'cast.. but everything else).