Galaxy S5 Water Resistant?! Maybe "in your dreams" but not mine ;)

tomothy94

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Re: Going on vacation, is it okay to get my phone wet from ocean sea water?

You should not be going in the shower with it and certainly not into the sea, the Salt will corrode the internal parts of the phone but regardless of this it is NOT a WATERPROOF phone it is WATER RESISTANT. Stop taking it in the shower for goodness sake why do you need your phone in the shower?

tomothy94

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site

This is such wrong and terrible advice. it was not made to be used around water activities at all! It was made to be a phone that will survive if you drop it in the toilet!

N_LaRUE

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site

You should not be going in the shower with it and certainly not into the sea, the Salt will corrode the internal parts of the phone but regardless of this it is NOT a WATERPROOF phone it is WATER RESISTANT. Stop taking it in the shower for goodness sake why do you need your phone in the shower?

Incorrect, the S5 is IP67 rated which means it can be submerged up to 1 meter (just over 3 feet for US people) in water for 30mins. Water resistant would be more like IP64.

N_LaRUE

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site

My main concern here is when you're dealing with salt water. Being a person who actually has dealt with salt water applications I can safely say that you need to be overly cautious with salt water. It is highly corrosive and if it gets in your device you're SOL. As others have suggested be sure to keep your connections all closed and rinse it immediately afterwards in regular tap water. Don't let salt spray stay on the device.

Have fun but personally I would stay out of salt water myself.

Last edited:

TechGod2014

May 27, 2014
Visit site

This is such wrong and terrible advice. it was not made to be used around water activities at all! It was made to be a phone that will survive if you drop it in the toilet!

There's a commercial with people using it at a pool. Is that consider a water activity?

Sent from my SM-G900T using AC Forums mobile app

TechGod2014

May 27, 2014
Visit site

I use my phone in the shower while listening to a radio station on tune-in in the morning while getting ready to go to work. I have no problems with my phone.

Sent from my SM-G900T using AC Forums mobile app

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site

The phone is water resistant to an extent; honestly even though they say it's water resistant what's to stop them from denying a claim by saying the port cover or back cover was not completely sealed. Salt water is incredibly corrosive to electronics, rinsing it off afterwards won't do any good if it has made any contact with the innards of the device, I would avoid salt water all together... let alone fresh water but this is my opinion.

tomothy94

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site

Okay everyone continue to use it in pools and showers then i'm sure that it will be fine, even though there have been multiple reports of phones dying or getting water trapped inside

N_LaRUE

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site

Here's a link from Samsung about the IP67 rating: Samsung GALAXY S5

Being a person who deals with this stuff fairly regularly the idea behind IP ratings is to provide a degree of protection for a period of time and with specific guidelines. For example road lighting is usually IP65/66/67 depending. You may wonder why this is but it's simply to do with the fact that they don't expect road lights to be subjected to flooding normally or major dust events.

Use the phone wisely, ensure that the covers are in place properly and you should have no issues with short burst in water. The minute you make a mistake is when the device fails. That's what you need to keep in mind. It's the same with anything with an IP rating or any other protective rating.

User error will cause 99% of the issues with this and there will be no doubt that people simply won't understand what IP67 means 100%. I suspect Samsung will have a lot of complaints because of this.

I'll also add again that I think you should keep it out of salt water personally.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Okay everyone continue to use it in pools and showers then i'm sure that it will be fine, even though there have been multiple reports of phones dying or getting water trapped inside

The issue is you have to be 100% positive that all ports and creases are sealed. I'm not willing to take that risk personally and will treat my phone the same way I've always treated previous phones.

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)

mlmcgahee

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site

There is a big difference between water resistant and waterproof. Just saying...

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Water Resistant?! Maybe "in your dreams" but not mine ;)

Yes, it was only a dream but scary none the less. I had a dream that my S5 was dropped in the pool and MELTED! :-[

jdmorin

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
re: Galaxy S5 Water Resistant?! Maybe "in your dreams" but not mine ;)

Haha. And here I thought you were going to say that yours actually wasn't water resistant and you had some story! :p

isdaako

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site

I've never had a dream about a phone... but, do daydream about them.

holyjesusjuice

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site

I experienced what could have been a nightmare when I dropped mine in the ocean during a drunken stupor chasing a seal. Baby works just fine.

disneyf1

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Water Damaged S5 was NOT Covered by Verizon!

Hi All,

I thought everyone would be assisted by this history of S5 'attitude' by Verizon and of my experience with these phones. A bit long, sorry, but I have read other threads about water damage and found nothing like the experience we have had.

My Verizon sales person advised me to get new phones on my family's account with the promotion launched this spring. A good deal and no extended contract or increased monthly costs, so we did it. She knew we were going on a few trips that were water involved and recommended the S5 due to its 'versatile lifestyle' abilities over the M8 I wanted which could not handle water exposure. I was replacing a DNA which was not noted as water resistant, but I had used it many times in the rain and on a rafting trip with no problems, great phone.

We bought three S5's and a Moto X that my daughter fell in love with. NOTE - even though the phones are billed monthly, the sales tax showed up on the next bill, a $350 extra for one month!

We all LOVE this phone! Awesome EQ! Until two weeks later when my display started to twitch and a day later became unresponsive. I drove over to the Verizon store and they took out the battery, reset it and it worked fine again. No explanation as to why it malfunctioned could be given.

The next week we went tubing and everyone used their S5's for pictures on the river. Gel skins and screen protectors for all. They all worked great. That night my phone got VERY hot and the display stopped working again. I took it to the Verizon store nearby and they said it had gotten water under the screen, therefore the heat and touchscreen problem. He showed me the droplets in the camera as well. I mentioned the problem from before and that I had only used it in the rain once, no immersion or splash exposure prior to the tubing. He said that it was not sealed properly at the factory and they replaced it with a refurbished unit under warranty with next day delivery.

The next week my daughters' godmother took them on a cruise and the rest of us went to water parks for the weekend. Confident in all our phones abilities to handle the trip.
Day 1 - had my S5 in my pocket and went into the shallow part of a pool following my son. When I took it out to snap a picture it would not turn on. Went back to my chair and checked it out, back on properly, bottom seal good. Hmmm. Took the back off and there's water in the spaces around the battery. uh oh. Took the old DNA away from my son, (who had received it to play games using wifi only, poor guy.) put the card back in and used it flawlessly the rest of the trip. Later I made sure the phone was together properly, all seals tight and put it into a baggie of water. Took it out and opened it - yep water inside. The seals were bad somewhere.
DAY 2 - Put my wife's S5 in a waterproof double seal phone "bag" to be careful the rest of the trip. Took it out to make a call or two then snapped some pictures while doing so as I was in the pool. It went under a few inches in my hand as I lost balance, dang. Checked it out and no water inside, Whew. Later I kept getting a notice that the headphones were plugged in when they were not. Then it started flickering the app manager continually. Dang Dang. Then, dead phone. Dang Dang Dang. It fired up later but would not charge and the mic no longer functioned. There was also visible corrosion in the headphone jack.
Day 3 - Daughter called me from sisters phone (?) She had dropped her S5 into ankle deep water and it was dead. It was dry inside but she put the parts into bags of rice anyway. (MotoX fine BTW)

Back to Verizon for replacements. I was told that Verizon was not handling S5 water related warantees and I had to speak with SAMSUNG! Big change. Had the sales rep call them with me there. Samsung rep was awful, saying they would probably not cover any of them but I could send them in for their techs to look them over and determine how long they had been 'under water', her words. It would take a few weeks and I would receive no phones to use while under investigation. She was very nasty even though it was a Verizon rep talking to her. Her responses were definitely canned and she had done this before. I mentioned the water baggie test I performed and she immediately said not to bother sending that one as I had voided the warranty by intentionally putting it into water! The Verizon rep requested this be escalated to a senior Samsung manager and they said she would get back with them...
All the store reps were gathered talking about the situation and forming contingencies for the next time one of their clients came in with this problem as they thought Verizon would cover any water damage. That's what they were selling and they were even pulling up Samsung commercials to make sure the water resistant feature was promoted. They found mention in the Samsung guide as well - up to 30 minutes in less than 1 meter of water! They were all very apologetic as I left the store with the dead phones.

I waited a few days and no reply from Samsung so we are now replacing them under insurance and paying deductibles. (MotoX and DNA still fine...)

Simply FYI.

-OZ

prlundberg

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: Water Damaged S5 was NOT Covered by Verizon!

Verizon normally isn't going to cover water damage of any sort, and Samsung's service is notoriously bad. Nothing new here.

The problem I think are the phones themselves. There are several people here that have had theirs wet, under water, even taking pictures under water with no issues. Heck, somebody even ran one through a washing machine and boiled it and it was fine. If your story is accurate your phones were defective and Samsung ought to cover it. However, I am not surprised a bit that they won't.

theonlybuster

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site

I've gotta agree. Water-Resistant phones, still fall under the same carrier insurance as every other phone. And yeah, you'd be forced to deal with the manufacture. For this reason, I typically get insurance through a 3rd part company search as SquareTrade or Bubble. I think Bubble is one of the only insurances that covers everything from water to it being stolen/lost.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site

It's too bad Samsung doesn't think Customer Service is important.

I hate to say but this is one of the reasons why Apple is very popular and best companies.

This is why I also want either a Samsung or Google/android store like Apple, when I have problem with any company I hate doing it over the phone. IMO it's easier for them to throw it in your face since you're not face-to-face and worst even hang up on you.