Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree82Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Galaxy S5 Water Resistant?! Maybe "in your dreams" but not mine ;)

Global Posts
    6,386 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

Default Re: Still waterproof if I use this extended battery/case?

Quote Originally Posted by King Mustard View Post
    Hello there!

Samsung will always tell you that you need to use original accessories from them.

Anyway, check at the screenshot from the link you provided, it does not look as if that back cover has any of the waterproof sealer as the original one.

I recommend that if you buy it, just remember you might not have any waterproof capabilities.
    Galaxy S5 Water Resistant?!  Maybe "in your dreams" but not mine ;)-screenshot-3-.png
    If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant! I might just save the World, or rip it apart!
    Thanked by 2:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by STARGATE View Post
    Hello there!

Samsung will always tell you that you need to use original accessories from them.

Anyway, check at the screenshot from the link you provided, it does not look as if that back cover has any of the waterproof sealer as the original one.

I recommend that if you buy it, just remember you might not have any waterproof capabilities.
    <image snipped>
    Thank you
    STARGATE likes this.

Global Posts
    6,386 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

Quote Originally Posted by VictoriaPa1 View Post
    Thank you for the heads up.
    No problem. No point on messing up a great device.

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!
    If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant! I might just save the World, or rip it apart!

Global Posts
    6,386 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

Quote Originally Posted by King Mustard View Post
    Thank you
    No problem at all.
    The battery on your GS5 should be good enough I would think.

Also, it might take a few months for accessories from third party vendors to have the waterproof seal.

Another thing to consider would be external chargers. There are some small and good enough.

Let us know which route you decide to take and how you like the GS5.
    🙋

What about the Icipio offGrid, it looks like it has a seal around it. Its not out yet but would be neat to pick up if it retains the water resistance.
    2001 Dodge Dakota "daily"
    Still looking for a play toy :/

Lg Marquee > Droid 1 > Droid X2 > Galaxy Note 2 "The Beast" > Lg G2 > HTC One M8 > Samsung Galaxy S5

Global Posts
    6,386 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

Quote Originally Posted by ghostkilla1388 View Post
    What about the Icipio offGrid, it looks like it has a seal around it. Its not out yet but would be neat to pick up if it retains the water resistance.
    Haven't seen that one, but if it has the seal for the internals then it might work.

We need to keep our eyes peel for that one I guess.

Default Going on vacation, is it okay to get my phone wet from ocean sea water?

Can I run into the ocean and take pictures of family or will this affect the phone ?

I've only taken the phone into the shower so I don't know how it will do with salt water.

Default Re: Going on vacation, is it okay to get my phone wet from ocean sea water?

no doubt you'll get answers from one end of the spectrum to the other but personally I wouldn't chance it.

Default Re: Going on vacation, is it okay to get my phone wet from ocean sea water?

I would not let it get salt spray on it.

Just the mist won't hurt it as long as the charging port stays shut for the duration of the trip.

Still, I would keep the phone pocketed away from spray most of the time.

Would I take my phone with me?
    Yes, I just would not make it my camera on the trip. Leave that to cameras.
    Verizon Galaxy S5 since Launch Day, using ART
    Box Stock, not rooted
    Nova Prime, Textra, Blue Mail
    MacroDroid senses Scrn off=Wifi & Data OFF,
    senses Scrn on=WiFi & Data ON

I took mine into the ocean and it has been just fine!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    473 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jaleesag88 View Post
    I took mine into the ocean and it has been just fine!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app
    I agree with this but I would say to rinse the phone afterwards with tap water . The salts are very corrosive .

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts

I would not purposely submerge it in ocean water. However occasion splashes from the waves should not be a problem if the battery cover and USB port are closed/covered properly.

As mentioned previously, any contact with salt water should be rinsed thoroughly to avoid any possible corrosion.

Not worth the risk IMO.

Pro S5
    "I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie (THE NEWSROOM, HBO)

Global Posts
    593 Global Posts

A couple of weeks ago I went to California with my whole family for a business trip to San Diego and then I extended it as my annual vacations and went from there to Los Angeles, Yosemite and San Francisco, and this phone took some incredible photos and videos, so I won't tell you to skip the opportunity to use it as your main camera because believe me you will be amazed.

While in San Francisco I took the night tour to Alcatraz Island and I wanted to take pictures and videos of the Bay and the island at that time, the view is just gorgeous, so I went outside on the boat and with me there were about 20 more people, as soon as the boat began moving and the waves began hitting and going over the board I kept taking pictures and videos and then I realized that I was there alone as the rest of the people went inside protecting their equipment and phones, I was soaked wet and been alone there allowed me to take even greater pictures and videos, all of them were looking at me thinking that I was crazy and wondering what phone I had, I could see some envy faces also.... So once I got to the island just looked for the restroom and let tap water run through over my phone and that was it. Great experience, great pictures and it did worth it.
    Thanked by:
    isdaako and Madd54 like this.

Like someone else said, just make sure u rinse it off at the end of day. This phone was made to be used around water activities. Use with total confidence.

Sent from my SM-G900T using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    1,867 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 5.0 Lollipop

Salt on any electrical device is never good. The salt could mess up the coating on the screen or dry out the rubber gasket that makes the S5 water resistant.
    If my post helped you out...PLEASE be kind and hit the THANKS button.

Definitely not.

Salt water can corrode the parts of the device. It may also leave behind deposits which can further damage the device.

Even if the device is water-resistant/waterproof, I'd treat it like any other phone, since they're mainly designed to avoid accidental water damage.

If it comes in contact with salt-water, though, rinse it with fresh water ASAP.
    Sent from my Lenovo IdeaPad Y410P/HTC One running InsertCoin 2.5 Sense 6.

Quote Originally Posted by smalba View Post
    Can I run into the ocean and take pictures of family or will this affect the phone ?

I've only taken the phone into the shower so I don't know how it will do with salt water.
    I would say not to risk it. I know salt can really do some damage to phones and just feel that it isn't worth the risk in the end. Because for some they may have done it and have no issues, then you do it and it completely screws up your phone.

I plan on using my phone in salt water when I go on vacation this July, I'm planning to thoroughly rinse it once it leaves the salt water though.

It should be fine as long as you rinse it immediately afterwards.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
    jaleesag88 likes this.

You should not be going in the shower with it and certainly not into the sea, the Salt will corrode the internal parts of the phone but regardless of this it is NOT a WATERPROOF phone it is WATER RESISTANT. Stop taking it in the shower for goodness sake why do you need your phone in the shower?

This is such wrong and terrible advice. it was not made to be used around water activities at all! It was made to be a phone that will survive if you drop it in the toilet!

Quote Originally Posted by tomothy94 View Post
    You should not be going in the shower with it and certainly not into the sea, the Salt will corrode the internal parts of the phone but regardless of this it is NOT a WATERPROOF phone it is WATER RESISTANT. Stop taking it in the shower for goodness sake why do you need your phone in the shower?
    Incorrect, the S5 is IP67 rated which means it can be submerged up to 1 meter (just over 3 feet for US people) in water for 30mins. Water resistant would be more like IP64.
    Thanked by 2:

My main concern here is when you're dealing with salt water. Being a person who actually has dealt with salt water applications I can safely say that you need to be overly cautious with salt water. It is highly corrosive and if it gets in your device you're SOL. As others have suggested be sure to keep your connections all closed and rinse it immediately afterwards in regular tap water. Don't let salt spray stay on the device.

Have fun but personally I would stay out of salt water myself.
    jaleesag88 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tomothy94 View Post
    This is such wrong and terrible advice. it was not made to be used around water activities at all! It was made to be a phone that will survive if you drop it in the toilet!
    There's a commercial with people using it at a pool. Is that consider a water activity?

Sent from my SM-G900T using AC Forums mobile app
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast