Galaxy S5 Water Resistant?! Maybe "in your dreams" but not mine ;)

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Still waterproof if I use this extended battery/case?

Hello there! :)

Samsung will always tell you that you need to use original accessories from them.

Anyway, check at the screenshot from the link you provided, it does not look as if that back cover has any of the waterproof sealer as the original one.

I recommend that if you buy it, just remember you might not have any waterproof capabilities.
Screenshot (3).png

King Mustard

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site

Hello there! :)

Samsung will always tell you that you need to use original accessories from them.

Anyway, check at the screenshot from the link you provided, it does not look as if that back cover has any of the waterproof sealer as the original one.

I recommend that if you buy it, just remember you might not have any waterproof capabilities.
<image snipped>

Thank you :)

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site

Thank you :)

No problem at all.
The battery on your GS5 should be good enough I would think.

Also, it might take a few months for accessories from third party vendors to have the waterproof seal.

Another thing to consider would be external chargers. There are some small and good enough.

Let us know which route you decide to take and how you like the GS5.
🙋

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!

ghostkilla1388

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site

What about the Icipio offGrid, it looks like it has a seal around it. Its not out yet but would be neat to pick up if it retains the water resistance.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site

What about the Icipio offGrid, it looks like it has a seal around it. Its not out yet but would be neat to pick up if it retains the water resistance.

Haven't seen that one, but if it has the seal for the internals then it might work.

We need to keep our eyes peel for that one I guess.

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!

smalba

May 2, 2013
Visit site
Going on vacation, is it okay to get my phone wet from ocean sea water?

Can I run into the ocean and take pictures of family or will this affect the phone ?

I've only taken the phone into the shower so I don't know how it will do with salt water.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Going on vacation, is it okay to get my phone wet from ocean sea water?

no doubt you'll get answers from one end of the spectrum to the other but personally I wouldn't chance it.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site

I would not let it get salt spray on it.

Just the mist won't hurt it as long as the charging port stays shut for the duration of the trip.

Still, I would keep the phone pocketed away from spray most of the time.

Would I take my phone with me?
Yes, I just would not make it my camera on the trip. Leave that to cameras.

jaleesag88

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site

I took mine into the ocean and it has been just fine!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app

1Coopgt

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site

I took mine into the ocean and it has been just fine!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app

I agree with this but I would say to rinse the phone afterwards with tap water . The salts are very corrosive .

sko580

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site

I would not purposely submerge it in ocean water. However occasion splashes from the waves should not be a problem if the battery cover and USB port are closed/covered properly.

As mentioned previously, any contact with salt water should be rinsed thoroughly to avoid any possible corrosion.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site

Not worth the risk IMO.

Pro S5

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site

A couple of weeks ago I went to California with my whole family for a business trip to San Diego and then I extended it as my annual vacations and went from there to Los Angeles, Yosemite and San Francisco, and this phone took some incredible photos and videos, so I won't tell you to skip the opportunity to use it as your main camera because believe me you will be amazed.

While in San Francisco I took the night tour to Alcatraz Island and I wanted to take pictures and videos of the Bay and the island at that time, the view is just gorgeous, so I went outside on the boat and with me there were about 20 more people, as soon as the boat began moving and the waves began hitting and going over the board I kept taking pictures and videos and then I realized that I was there alone as the rest of the people went inside protecting their equipment and phones, I was soaked wet and been alone there allowed me to take even greater pictures and videos, all of them were looking at me thinking that I was crazy and wondering what phone I had, I could see some envy faces also.... So once I got to the island just looked for the restroom and let tap water run through over my phone and that was it. Great experience, great pictures and it did worth it.

Last edited:

TechGod2014

May 27, 2014
Visit site

Like someone else said, just make sure u rinse it off at the end of day. This phone was made to be used around water activities. Use with total confidence.

Sent from my SM-G900T using AC Forums mobile app

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site

Salt on any electrical device is never good. The salt could mess up the coating on the screen or dry out the rubber gasket that makes the S5 water resistant.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

Definitely not.

Salt water can corrode the parts of the device. It may also leave behind deposits which can further damage the device.

Even if the device is water-resistant/waterproof, I'd treat it like any other phone, since they're mainly designed to avoid accidental water damage.

If it comes in contact with salt-water, though, rinse it with fresh water ASAP.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

Can I run into the ocean and take pictures of family or will this affect the phone ?

I've only taken the phone into the shower so I don't know how it will do with salt water.

I would say not to risk it. I know salt can really do some damage to phones and just feel that it isn't worth the risk in the end. Because for some they may have done it and have no issues, then you do it and it completely screws up your phone.

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site

I plan on using my phone in salt water when I go on vacation this July, I'm planning to thoroughly rinse it once it leaves the salt water though.

It should be fine as long as you rinse it immediately afterwards.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa