Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Holy Moly! "You can write on it with a Pencil"

Here's a "10 Hidden Features" article
    10 Hidden Features of the Galaxy S5 | Samsung Electronics Official Blog: Samsung Tomorrow
    #1 is "You can write on it with a pencil". I tried it...it works! But, is it safe? I just tired the handwriting feature on an email, using the end of a pen (tip not out) and it works. It works on the soft keys too.

Default Re: Holy Moly! "You can write on it with a Pencil"

Why not just get a stylus? The S-Pen doesn't work but a standard stylus does.

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I probably will.I tried my s pen and found it didn't work, I wonder why.

- - - Updated - - -

I probably will.I tried my s pen and found it didn't work, I wonder why.

Global Posts
    733 Global Posts

Do you have to pair the S Pen with the phone? I've heard so.

Posted via Android Central App
    Studies were done extensively, but have concluded that yes, the bird is the word.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by troshs View Post
    Do you have to pair the S Pen with the phone? I've heard so.

Hummmm, I don't know. I'll see if I can do that.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

can't figure out how to pair my S pen with my phone. Googled it and didn't find any information.

The S-Pen is a Wacom based technology which means the device you plan to use it with needs to have an active digitizer in the screen. The S5 doesn't have the Wacom technology in the screen thus the S-Pen doesn't work.

I believe there is another stylus made by Samsung called the C-pen which worked with the S3.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
    SpookDroid likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts

I keep losing loose styluses. I'm on my 4th now. I need a Note.

Yup, the S-Pen won't work on non-Wacom phones like the S5. But it will work on Wacom-enabled ones like the Note 3 and even the Surface!

But if you really like using a stylus, then why don't just get a Note 3? The difference in size with the S5 is not that much by today's standards hehe.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by SpookDroid View Post
    Yup, the S-Pen won't work on non-Wacom phones like the S5. But it will work on Wacom-enabled ones like the Note 3 and even the Surface!

But if you really like using a stylus, then why don't just get a Note 3? The difference in size with the S5 is not that much by today's standards hehe.
    Well first I have only had the phone not even 2 months. I have a 2 year contract to fullfill. Second, it's not that big of a deal. I DO like the stylus idea and use it all the time on my GN/2014 but it's certainly not a deal breaker for my S5 Just thought it was pretty cool that you could do that
    monsieurms likes this.

Global Posts
    140 Global Posts

How did they get the s finder and quick connect down on the screen like that?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Holy Moly! "You can write on it with a Pencil"-screenshot_2014-07-01-13-33-39.jpg  

Global Posts
    733 Global Posts

Toolbox app.

As for the SPen I spoke with an AT&T rep and verified only the phones that come with SPens have digitizers that are compatible with the signal of the SPen (I guess that's how they promote the Note). The stylus also pulls power from the phone wirelessly and only those phones have the chip that allows it. So it looks like the rest of us are left with just a regular stylus. What you guys said about the technology is correct.

Boom! From My S5
    Studies were done extensively, but have concluded that yes, the bird is the word.
    Banned

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SpookDroid View Post

The bigger the better. As long as it fits in my pocket and doesn't weigh a ton.

Global Posts
    68 Global Posts

I've tried a few stylus and never liked the feeling of the rubbery tip, bit the bullet and purchased a "adonit - JotPro" excellent pen.
    Banned

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tutor View Post
    I've tried a few stylus and never liked the feeling of the rubbery tip, bit the bullet and purchased a "adonit - JotPro" excellent pen.
    Can you tell us what the difference with S and C pens is? And where can you get it?
    Banned

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by monicakm View Post
    Here's a "10 Hidden Features" article
    10 Hidden Features of the Galaxy S5 | Samsung Electronics Official Blog: Samsung Tomorrow
    #1 is "You can write on it with a pencil". I tried it...it works! But, is it safe? I just tired the handwriting feature on an email, using the end of a pen (tip not out) and it works. It works on the soft keys too.
    The only thing I'm afraid of when you use "the end of a pen (tip not out)" is scratching the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by DickRilloa View Post
    Can you tell us what the difference with S and C pens is? And where can you get it?
    You can get the C pen direct from Samsung
    Galaxy S3 C Pen
    Banned

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mhunter6378 View Post
    You can get the C pen direct from Samsung
    Galaxy S3 C Pen
    What's that got to do with the price of rice?
    My question was what the difference is between S and C pens on the one hand, and the "adonit - JotPro" on the other. And where you can get that "adonit - JotPro".
    My question was not where you can get the (S and) C pen(s)!

Quote Originally Posted by DickRilloa View Post
    What's that got to do with the price of rice?
    My question was what the difference is between S and C pens on the one hand, and the "adonit - JotPro" on the other. And where you can get that "adonit - JotPro".
    My question was not where you can get the (S and) C pen(s)!
    My mistake... I thought when you asked "where can you get it?" Meant "where" can you get it?.....
    Try Google they have a great search engine...
    debdroid1a likes this.

Let me try to explain this:

The S-Pen is a Wacom based pen which means the device it is used with needs to have an active digitizer in order to detect the pen. The benefits of this are of course a high degree of accuracy and pressure sensitivity.

The C-Pen is a basic capactive stylus, it basically transfers the electric pulses from your finger into the stylus and thus allows the screen to recognize the stylus. It offers no pressure sensitivity and accuracy is quite low as its a crude impersonation of a finger tip.

The Adonit stylus is one I have the leaat experience with and knowledge about but from my understanding it pairs using Bluetooth to the specific device and offers a degree of pressure sensitivity but in real use it isn't all its cracked up to be based on user reviews I have read. It is more accurate than the C-Pen though.

In order from best to worst would be: S-Pen, Adonit Jot, C-Pen.

Hopefully that helps, but for drawing and accuracy you can't beat a Wacom or N-Trig based pen.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
    tutor and PeterWeaver like this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mhunter6378 View Post
    Try Google they have a great search engine...
    Not nearly as good as ixquick.com.

Global Posts
    68 Global Posts

Actually the Adonit doesn't pair with the device, at least the one I have doesn't. It has a plastic disk for a tip instead of a rubber eraser like tip. It isn't pressure sensitive unless the device your using it upon has the ability to be pressure sensitive. It's just a different type of C pen. Good explanation of the c (capacitive stylus) pen though, I was typing something like that this morning but got stuck on the actual difference on what the s pen uses so just dropped attempting to respond instead of showing my ignorance lol. My wacom pen will not work on the Nexus 7 nor the Galaxy S5 and my Andoit won't work on my wacom tablet. There is/are some youtube videos show how to make a c pen for fun, they explain how/why they work pretty well. Like ya stated, they use the electrical current from your body to connect with the surface of your device.
    Sorry, forgot to add, I purchased my Andoit via either ebay or Amazon last year sometime. You could go to their website but I found it to be more expensive there, like most company websites.
    Thanked by:
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

I don't know what constitutes a pointed object working or not working the screen in high sensitivity mode. My ink pen worked (the pen case, and the point the point). A metal hair clip works. An eraser doesn't. The male end of a usb plug works. The male end of a 3.5 audio jack works. So it seems like a metal object is what it needs to work if you're not using a dedicated stylus.

Quote Originally Posted by monicakm View Post
    I don't know what constitutes a pointed object working or not working the screen in high sensitivity mode. My ink pen worked (the pen case, and the point the point). A metal hair clip works. An eraser doesn't. The male end of a usb plug works. The male end of a 3.5 audio jack works. So it seems like a metal object is what it needs to work if you're not using a dedicated stylus.
    That was a surprise I never tried it b4, I took a all metal Space Pen my daughter had bought me and used the rounded end and it writes on evernote perfect could not ask for more.
    tutor likes this.

Global Posts
    68 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Ke6bnl View Post
    That was a surprise I never tried it b4, I took a all metal Space Pen my daughter had bought me and used the rounded end and it writes on evernote perfect could not ask for more.
    As a very new evernote user, thanks... I never knew you could use it to write notes (hand write) with it. Just wish there was a way to use it to keep stuff without being connected or having to pay what I think is a pretty steep usage fee.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast