Unlocking a samsung galaxy s5 verizon

Robbie Kanoff

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
I have a Verizon samsung galaxy s5 what is the best way to get the phone to work on GSM. ..other than the obvious of paying my bill... can it also be flashed to another carrier

Bo Ready

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
So if you early disconnect m s5 from Verizon I can take it to lets say us cellular and activate it on a new plan with out paying off the bill fro Verizon? I am paying my bill but it is not completely paid off yet

leperconartist

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Technically if you have not paid off the phone that is also going to incur further charges with Verizon when you simply stop paying your bill. Also if it was a 2 year contract you will have to pay the contract buyout fee. You are potentially looking at quite a lot of money to get out of Verizon. If you are not on contract with them and simply making payments towards the phone using the edge up program then you can cancel your service and only continue making the payments towards the phone. That would be the best way to proceed saving you money and a credit score.

Also, Bo be warned that if you are still military Verizon is within their rights to contact your chain of command (judging from your profile picture this is probably public information) in order to collect the debt owed to them... Not something that looks too good on say an NCOER or 4856.

Garrison Snyder

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
I have a Verizon samsung galaxy s5 what is the best way to get the phone to work on GSM. ..other than the obvious of paying my bill... can it also be flashed to another carrier

I have a question on theses lines...I have the s5 through Verizon edge ...going to cancel plan and use stringer talk ...does it matter witch of th Sims cards I use since it's unlocked?

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
Contrary to popular belief Verizon phones Are Locked, Drop a non Verizon sim in the phone and it will come up and tell you "Sim card not from Verizon" and not allow the phone functions to go any further, leaving you with a WiFi enabled PDA. I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 set up to enable AT&T in hand right now that wont go any further. And these are built with both GSM and CDMA capability... So the myth that Verizon phones are unlocked to start with is pure BS spread by those who do not understand how the companies work.

aokusman

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Contrary to popular belief Verizon phones Are Locked, Drop a non Verizon sim in the phone and it will come up and tell you "Sim card not from Verizon" and not allow the phone functions to go any further, leaving you with a WiFi enabled PDA. I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 set up to enable AT&T in hand right now that wont go any further. And these are built with both GSM and CDMA capability... So the myth that Verizon phones are unlocked to start with is pure BS spread by those who do not understand how the companies work.
Your post is BS because Verizon 4g phones are never locked due to an agreement with the FCC. I have a Verizon note 4 and I use it on T-Mobile. I also get the Sim card is not from Verizon message but the phone still works.

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
IF your phone is really unlocked its just a matter of network settings that you will find under your settings button (the gear icon) your new carrier should be able to tell you what to set them to. If they cant, (or WONT) I would look to another carrier for service, as many pull that "gee, we cant help you because we don't know" tactic to try to sell you a phone, when all they need to do is just look at the settings in one of the phones they are trying to sell you to get them, Ive been using a prepaid phone for over a decade, at10 cents a minute, paying 10 bucks a month and rolling air time over every month, as well as unused texts ( that's how little I use the cursed thing), I started out with cingulair before they were bought out by AT&T, broke(major brick job with bad files) my razor and replaced it with a 5 dollar Chinese phone at one point, GoPhone customer service sat on the phone with me reading the settings off, as I punched them in so that sms and mms functioned when I got the Chinese phone. Its all about Customer Service in the end... without customers they don't make profit.

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
Sorry Son The FCC has nothing to do with it. It is strictly a business concern to keep the phone under their control, were the FCC involved ALL phones would be unlocked which they obviously are not. Just for your education we fought for legislation to block the locking of cell phones in 2004, to force an even playing field, equal to that of landline based phones, Which would have based phone use on the person's name, not a hardware lock, This would have prevented the unlawful use of "burner phones" such as we saw at the 2014 Boston Marathon, and the abuse of people's rights, by the carriers, such as happens in the US, but not in Asia or Europe. However the cell phone Lobby has deep pockets and we didn't prevail... In the end it is YOU that is full of BS... Just because "You HAVE" does not mean "they are". Your comment just shouts out a complete lack of logic and intellect.

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
Technically if you have not paid off the phone that is also going to incur further charges with Verizon when you simply stop paying your bill. Also if it was a 2 year contract you will have to pay the contract buyout fee. You are potentially looking at quite a lot of money to get out of Verizon. If you are not on contract with them and simply making payments towards the phone using the edge up program then you can cancel your service and only continue making the payments towards the phone. That would be the best way to proceed saving you money and a credit score.

Also, Bo be warned that if you are still military Verizon is within their rights to contact your chain of command (judging from your profile picture this is probably public information) in order to collect the debt owed to them... Not something that looks too good on say an NCOER or 4856.

two points to expand on your statements... ANY debt owed by a member of the military is just a phone call away from guaranteed payment no matter if it leaves them without enough funds to feed their family or not. And this brings me to the second point, with the cost of todays cell phones you need to read the fine print of the contracts. Most contracts leave you with a buyout cost that is substantially greater than the full retail cost of the phone itself. So it may, depending on the contract, be very wise to insure the phone against loss or damage so you are not left paying for an "empty contract".

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Sorry Son The FCC has nothing to do with it. It is strictly a business concern to keep the phone under their control, were the FCC involved ALL phones would be unlocked which they obviously are not.

I'm not sure where you come from, but you're mistaken. Verizon LTE phones are SIM unlocked, and it has everything to do with the FCC. It's due to an agreement between Verizon and the FCC, related to the 700MHz spectrum which Verizon uses for their LTE. Another part of that agreement stipulates that Verizon cannot throttle their customers with unlimited data, at least data using LTE.

That said, it's only the GSM part of the phone that's unlocked. You still cannot use a Verizon phone with another CDMA carrier such as Sprint or US Cellular, but pop in a SIM from any GSM carrier, including AT&T and T-Mobile in the US, and you're good to go. Nothing more needs to be done, besides maybe adjusting the APN settings.

aokusman

May 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure where you come from, but you're mistaken. Verizon LTE phones are SIM unlocked, and it has everything to do with the FCC. It's due to an agreement between Verizon and the FCC, related to the 700MHz spectrum which Verizon uses for their LTE. Another part of that agreement stipulates that Verizon cannot throttle their customers with unlimited data, at least data using LTE.

That said, it's only the GSM part of the phone that's unlocked. You still cannot use a Verizon phone with another CDMA carrier such as Sprint or US Cellular, but pop in a SIM from any GSM carrier, including AT&T and T-Mobile in the US, and you're good to go. Nothing more needs to be done, besides maybe adjusting the APN settings.
This is fact.

jerzydevl 9

Apr 20, 2015
Visit site
Ok well I have an issue, I have a phone under my ex girlfriends name with Verizon, needless to say she won't add me to the acct as a primary person to change the contract so I'm stuck with a 2yr contact I can't afford so I got a straight talk pre paid card that I can't access cause it appears it's locked even though I called Verizon several times and they say it's not.. plz help

Posted via the Android Central App

Blake Fowler

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
Your post is BS because Verizon 4g phones are never locked due to an agreement with the FCC. I have a Verizon note 4 and I use it on T-Mobile. I also get the Sim card is not from Verizon message but the phone still works.

Your right I have Verizon galaxy s5 and I'm using t-Mobile but it says at the top non verizon sim all the time

MF ENTINC

Apr 19, 2016
Visit site
I have two verizon phones which are supposedly factory unlocked, im switching back to Sprint and LOW & BEHOLD its locked!!!! called verizon they said its supposed to be unlocked, but it wont accept any other sim. WHAT TO DO!!???

Taisha Rivera

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
are u able to send picture messages? i have a verizon s5 and i have my cricket sim card in it and the phone works fine but i cant send or receive pictures messages please help

six6blueeyez

Aug 14, 2016
Visit site
I have a verizon galaxy s5 sm-g900v that I have an AT&T sim in & it works fine. all you need to do is put in an AT&T APN IN.here is what I have in mine.
name - att
apn - pta
proxy - notset
port - not set
username - not set
password - not set
server - not set
mmsc - http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
multimedia message proxy - proxy.proxy.mobile.att.net
multimedia message port - 80
mcc - 310
mnc - 410