Should We All Now Switch Over From DALVIC To ART???

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Or is this just something that will be done for us when our phones get upgraded to Android L?

Which would be after we're upgraded to 4.3.3, 4.4.4, etc...which, I'm thinking, could be the proverbial '12th of never.'

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Just understand that ART is currently functional but not quite refined enough to be the default runtime. I would say that waiting until google makes it the default runtime is the conservative approach. This will mean waiting for android "L" to come out.

On the other hand you risk nothing switching over to see if you like it.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Like I said I had no clue what it is but switched anyways.

No issues the difference is not that much.

Pro S5

AnnieVan

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
My husband and I both switched and have not have had any problems. The phone seems slightly faster and also a little smoother. Our daughter who has a Nexus 5 did have some compatability issues and had to switch back. Keep in mind it takes about 20 minutes for the phone to update.

Posted via Android Central App

troshs

Trusted Member
Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I switched once for a day and all of my apps crashed repeatedly until I switched back....I will wait until it's integrated into the new system because I would rather have it programmed around ART

Posted via Android Central App

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Or is this just something that will be done for us when our phones get upgraded to Android L?

Which would be after we're upgraded to 4.3.3, 4.4.4, etc...which, I'm thinking, could be the proverbial '12th of never.'

ART should provide better performance and power usage, at the expense of some delays when rebuilding the cache (which it does the first time it boots after switching to ART or if you clear the cache in recovery), and when you first install the app and higher storage usage. I guess the simplest way to look at it is that with Dalvik, the OS compiles some parts of the application every time it is launched. With ART, it pre-compiles some of the stuff when you install the app, keeping it around permanently (until you clear the cache or uninstall). ART will offer better performance and power consumption.

That being said..... I wouldn't worry about it... Not all applications are optimized to use the different runtime, and some, like Xposed, are totally incompatible at the moment. There's no compelling reason to switch at this point. When the next major version of Android is released, it'll handle all that for you.

Though, I pity anyone carrying a few hundred apps on their phone when the boot that first time. :)

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I tried it and it is not even remotely close to being ready....phone slowed down, error messages, crashes etc.
Works great for me. All my apps are updated for ART, which might not be the case for yours. Only thing that crashed is Hangouts, but that happens on Dalvik too

freakdaddydog

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
ART on my S5 Active is noticeably faster. The boot time on the initial reboot is lengthy, but you will notice a difference on app start and execution. I've been running ART for a year or so on my Samsung phones and tablets and prefer it. No problems so far.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar