AT&T Visual Voicemail keeps 4G active even on WiFi

GeekNews

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Working with a rather odd experience. Recently we've comes across an issue with the AT&T GS5 showing 4G activity even on WiFi. Doing some research I've seen several posts that have mentioned similar situation with VZW and the CallerID app. However, this being an AT&T phone that isn't the case. Doing some trial and error we think we've nailed it down to the Visual Voicemail app. Reviewers via Google Play have also confirmed similar issues with a recent update.

Anyone else on AT&T seeing this? Anyone know of a work around or possible solution? It seems like it is just the latest update, uninstalling just brings back the same version so that was a no go.

Any suggestions on possible replacement apps that would be compatible until AT&T does something to resolve the issue?

Txchas

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I have been having issues with 4G staying active and transferring data even when I'm connected to WiFi, but I didn't know what was causing it. I uninstalled Visual Voicemail and the 4G dropped immediately. Thanks!

Last edited:

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Doing some trial and error we think we've nailed it down to the Visual Voicemail app. Reviewers via Google Play have also confirmed similar issues with a recent update.

Any suggestions on possible replacement apps that would be compatible until AT&T does something to resolve the issue?

AT&T also offers another app, AT&T Messages. This app offers additional functionality by combining text, calls and voicemail into one inbox. I don't use this app because I do not like having the combined inbox so I don't know if it is experiencing the same issues as the Visual Voicemail app is after the latest update.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...att.android.mobile.attmessages&token=fqt1-TPq

Google offers an app called Google Voice that I have and do use regularly. This app will handle voicemail, works fine with AT&T mobile phones and offers a great degree of flexibility and features. You get the visual voicemail function and depending on your needs and setup can receive voicemail alerts via text message and email along with transcription if you like.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...android.apps.googlevoice&hl=en&token=3tzRgvY-

There are also other third party apps available in the Play Store, one of the more popular choices is YouMail. I have not personally used this app but have read of and heard of many that do.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...=com.youmail.android.vvm&hl=en&token=PCy2fNFL

Harry_Yambag

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
I just posted about this the other day. I couldn't figure out why I had 4G and wifi running, but once I turned off visual voicemail, 4G shut off.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It's normal for the 4g icon to stay on when on wifi.. The voicemail will use the 4g connection when needed.

Other than that wifi will be used for all data except MMS messages. It will activate mobile data to download the MMS then it should go dormant again.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

GeekNews

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Just in case anyone else saw this problem occurring - it was a bug in that particular version of Visual Voicemail and has addressed the issue and it should be working fine now.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaahza