Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Anti Virus. Do I need it?

I currently have AVG.

I like the widget, the data tracker etc but do I really need to have it running all the time?

I read conflicting things on the Internet. Some say yes, some say no.

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: Anti Virus. Do I need it?

Lookout is what I use

No, you don't need it...it's a battery drain and causes lag. You don't need any of the things we put on our phones in the past, app killer, spam killer, anti virus, ram boosters etc

Oh Really good let me take this off then
    Jon Jackson likes this.

Nope.

Pro S5
    "I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie (THE NEWSROOM, HBO)

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Jackson View Post
    No, you don't need it...it's a battery drain and causes lag. You don't need any of the things we put on our phones in the past, app killer, spam killer, anti virus, ram boosters etc
    This it isn't the days of gingerbread anymore

Posted from my Nexus 7 2013 running Android L or Samsung galaxy S5
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Uninstalled. Thanks for your help.

Now I need a little widget that tells me my data usage!

Global Posts
    1,867 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 5.0 Lollipop

You are going to get all kinds of answers and this thread is going to get long.. lol. My answer is NO. There is no real threat of a virus for Android. So long as you only download apps from known and reputable sources like Google Play and Amazon you will be ok.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5
    If my post helped you out...PLEASE be kind and hit the THANKS button.

Global Posts
    473 Global Posts

I have Norton Mobile Security on my phone . I would rather be safe . And it doesn't lag the phone .

I run Eset on my home PC so I got it for the S5. I know it scans the downloads and updates I get. But that is not the only place for bad things. Many web site are mobil aware and a bad link from them could be a problem. I would also rather be safe than sorry.

Just like with computers, if you pay attention to what you're installing and web pages you're checking out, you don't at all need and Anti-Virus. If you question yourself install an AV, but set it to simple daily or semi-daily scans instead of active monitoring.
    Of course if you have kids or play games often, it's in your best interest to have an active monitoring AV installed.

But ultimately, and take no offense in this, Anti-Virus software is primarily for those who basically wildly click around online and go to questionable sites.

I use Lookout. It seems to do a good job and to be honest I'd rather be safe then sorry. Lookout take no real effort to use and doesn't seem to have any significant impact on the battery.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    733 Global Posts

I use Lookout not for the virus features but for the fact that if my phone gets stolen it will take a picture if the phone is shut off and will also send me the location. More to protect from magnet handed idiots than Internet threats.

Boom! From My S5
    Studies were done extensively, but have concluded that yes, the bird is the word.
    VDub2174 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by troshs View Post
    I use Lookout not for the virus features but for the fact that if my phone gets stolen it will take a picture if the phone is shut off and will also send me the location. More to protect from magnet handed idiots than Internet threats.

Boom! From My S5
    Same here.

Boom! From My S5
    If you already haven't, I HIGHLY recommend you give this a test just to make sure it's set up and works as it should. I can't tell you the number of times I hear people say "I installed [Location App Here] and when I lost my phone it didn't tell me its location like it was supposed to" and it's because the user didn't correctly configure AND test.

I personally test mine out every couple weeks. The only is when you simply remove the battery, the phone doesn't have a chance to toss up a "flare"

Global Posts
    733 Global Posts

It sent me an email when I pulled my battery the other day and every time I do, the location is dead on.
    Also sends me a picture of the last thing it saw.
    Studies were done extensively, but have concluded that yes, the bird is the word.

Boom! From My S5
    My Sprint S5 came preloaded with Lookout, I have mine hooked into my fingerprint scanner, so if I have issues scanning my finger 5 times, it e-mails a picture from the front camera and a GPS location. I get it about once a day from issues I have with how I scan my finger, however I leave it on for the pure safety of it in case someone does try unlocking my phone.

To answer the OP.

Do you like to click on links and random things no matter who sent it to you?

Are you the type of person to ignore the voice in the back of your head yelling at you to stop?

Do you look at Piracy websites?

Do you believe everything you read on the internet?

If you answer yes to any of these questions, I highly recommend you get an antivirus.

Global Posts
    733 Global Posts

^ this.

Boom! From My S5

There are some people who think Android is like the Wild West. They think the sheriff, Google, is out-of-town and everyone is free to do as they please. This is obviously not true. Google has advanced security tools with many layers of protection. The 0.001% of apps that do make it pass Google’s security have to make it through 7 layers of security. If the user doesn’t have unknown sources enabled, like most average users don’t, the app won’t even make it past the second level. Android is not the wild west, but it’s not Apple’s walled garden either. Google will let anyone upload an app to the Play Store, but that doesn’t mean they will let it infect your device. They have your back. All of this fear mongering around Android malware has created opportunities to make some easy money. A lot of people are more than willing to shell out a few bucks if they think it will protect them. There are some really nice security apps available, but most of the ones that cost money aren't worth it.
    Rugwed Soman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Jackson View Post
    There are some people who think Android is like the Wild West. They think the sheriff, Google, is out-of-town and everyone is free to do as they please. This is obviously not true. Google has advanced security tools with many layers of protection. The 0.001% of apps that do make it pass Google’s security have to make it through 7 layers of security. If the user doesn’t have unknown sources enabled, like most average users don’t, the app won’t even make it past the second level. Android is not the wild west, but it’s not Apple’s walled garden either. Google will let anyone upload an app to the Play Store, but that doesn’t mean they will let it infect your device. They have your back. All of this fear mongering around Android malware has created opportunities to make some easy money. A lot of people are more than willing to shell out a few bucks if they think it will protect them. There are some really nice security apps available, but most of the ones that cost money aren't worth it.
    You are looking at this too narrow.

What about a webpage that loads a malware through the back end and into your phone through the browser?

People emails get hacked and they send out malware.

On the app thing, there are some people who sideload apks.

Also you are discounting that people like to click on things.

Get antivirus program not because you have a distrust of Google, but because you have a distrust of the internet in general or even yourself.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Quote Originally Posted by Farish View Post
    To answer the OP.

Do you like to click on links and random things no matter who sent it to you?

Are you the type of person to ignore the voice in the back of your head yelling at you to stop?

Do you look at Piracy websites?

Do you believe everything you read on the internet?

If you answer yes to any of these questions, I highly recommend you get an antivirus.
    No, no, no and no

However from a business perspective the insurance company who insures you against lose due to theft and all doesn't look kindly on what they call unprotected devices. They show this in their pricing structure, giving a lower rate if you use the protection.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app

I use lookout and haven't had any issues

Unless you are a careless person and download everything you see, certainly not.

However, it might be wise to get a security app for the other features like Lost Phone Finder and Erase.

I recommend Lookout. Though it can sometimes be a CPU hog, the security suite works tremendously well for me. If you can get it, get Lookout Premium for extra features.

Android Lost is also a good alternative for locating and erasing, as well as controlling a lost or stolen device.
    Sent from my Lenovo IdeaPad Y410P/HTC One running InsertCoin 2.5 Sense 6.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast