Quick to reset?

IBMJunkman

May 10, 2014
Visit site
I am new to the Android world. Got my S5 2 months ago. Been in PCs for decades and iOS for a few years. I am amazed at the number of times I see a reset as the 2nd solution to a phone problem. Using the factory reset CD on a Windows PC is the absolute last thing you want to do.

It took me a full weekend to get my phone set up. I don't want to lose all that work in an attempt to fix a problem. It was suggested to me to reset my phone when something happened with my pass code. Luckily, in that set up weekend, I had signed up to the Google and Samsung sites not knowing what they were for. I used one to unlock my phone.

Is a factory reset the norm in the Android/Samsung world?

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I wouldn't say it's the "norm" in the Android world. I would only suggest a factory reset after all other avenues were used but didn't work.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I agree it should be a last resort option. But I also look at it like a costs analysis, is it worth spending hours, days, weeks or months pursuing an elusive problem or take a couple of hours reseting my device. The first thing I do when I buy a new phone is check for OS updates then I do a factory data restore, it's just a practice I got into a long time ago. I also do one after every major OS update and I wipe the cache partition from time to time. With the way I set up my devices and the apps I use it really does not take me long and I've done it enough that it isn't really an issue for me. Having said all that though, for those that just bought a phone and have issues immediately, a reset is sometimes a good thing to do. I say that because you should not have issues right away and this may solve them. In the case of a newly obtained phone you probably won't have a lot of data on it or vast amounts of time invested in personalizing it. Secondly, if there is a problem with the phone and it's not a software issue that a reset corrects, finding it out early can save a lot of hassle dealing with a return or exchange. Just my two cents.