high phone usage in battery but I made no calls

specs34

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
I have not made any calls and my phone usage is higher than normal. This has been happening for a few days now. I re-started the phone and it didn't help.Any ideas? My battery is draining quicker because of this.
Screenshot.jpg

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
It most likely is due to some background apps running that want to contact a host for updates.

Social networks are bad about that. Facebook Twitter, etc... turn them off

Amazon Suites is horrible, turn OFF anything that has Amazon in the name.

email apps that have notifications turned on and are constantly updating are also bad.

I personally turn OFF all outside world contact when not using my phone.

Data, WiFi, sync, are OFF.

I also turn off Bluetooth when not using that. Why let it burn up battery if you don't use it?

GPS... I have discovered that just leaving it ON in High Accuracy Mode is not a bad thing. The total effect is about 20-25 minutes difference in battery life between ON or OFF.

Rotation? your choice, but I turn it off.

for me, a control freak about this, I use Battery Doctor's Switch Widget.

See screenshot. In this screen shot, everything is shown ON because the green color shows up better than the OFF color which is a faint grey.

Attachments

• Battery Doctor Switcher window.jpg
    Battery Doctor Switcher window.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 18

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Just turn the S5 completely off while your at it. LOL

Seriously if you're going to shut down every feature why bother with a Super Phone. The only setting I changed are...

> Display to 30 seconds, using Auto Brightness
> Turned off the Touch Key Light

I don't use facebook, twitter, etc. but everything is being pushed or used like my GPS.

sirmaru

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Use two fingers to swipe down from the top and then tap Ultra Power Savings Mode when not in use. All apps will be disabled but phone calls and messaging will still be available.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Use two fingers to swipe down from the top and then tap Ultra Power Savings Mode when not in use. All apps will be disabled but phone calls and messaging will still be available.

I believe he is asking how to fix the usage on his phone app.... Your suggestion isn't bad but suggesting that blindly on any battery thread isn't helpful.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Morq

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
For me it was GPS that caused a lot of battery drain - I just have it off most of the time and enjoy fantastic battery life.
The drain showed on your screenshoot is something I only experience when I install / upgrade a lot of apps.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
For me it was GPS that caused a lot of battery drain - I just have it off most of the time and enjoy fantastic battery life.
The drain showed on your screenshoot is something I only experience when I install / upgrade a lot of apps.

This is a curious point.

I too once kept the GPS turned off on my Galaxy S.

The S5 though? I leave GPS on High Accuracy Mode all the time. Turning it off only makes about 20 minutes difference in battery life.

it is not the GPS that is eating up your battery, it is an app that is constantly accessing it and then calling home to a host to exchange data about where you are. Coupon apps are horrible about this, Amazon Suites is the worst of the crop. If it has Amazon in the name, turn it OFF.

Turn off the social apps and do not allow anything to track where you are going. Then your battery will give you good life.

Morq

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
This is a curious point.

I too once kept the GPS turned off on my Galaxy S.

The S5 though? I leave GPS on High Accuracy Mode all the time. Turning it off only makes about 20 minutes difference in battery life.

it is not the GPS that is eating up your battery, it is an app that is constantly accessing it and then calling home to a host to exchange data about where you are. Coupon apps are horrible about this, Amazon Suites is the worst of the crop. If it has Amazon in the name, turn it OFF.

Turn off the social apps and do not allow anything to track where you are going. Then your battery will give you good life.

Well at times my phone used less than 10% of battery over night, other time it was 20+, with no visible differences in running software. The 'drainage' never happened since I keep location off and only turn it on when needed.
I know what you say is probably true - something must have abused the hell of the gps but I really have no clue what it could be. I only have facebook and fbook msgner as my social apps and google now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech