Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 8 of 8
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AZgl1500
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default high phone usage in battery but I made no calls

    I have not made any calls and my phone usage is higher than normal. This has been happening for a few days now. I re-started the phone and it didn't help.Any ideas? My battery is draining quicker because of this.
    high phone usage in battery but I made no calls-screenshot.jpg
  2. #2  

    Default Re: high phone usage in battery but I made no calls

    It most likely is due to some background apps running that want to contact a host for updates.

    Social networks are bad about that. Facebook Twitter, etc... turn them off

    Amazon Suites is horrible, turn OFF anything that has Amazon in the name.

    email apps that have notifications turned on and are constantly updating are also bad.

    I personally turn OFF all outside world contact when not using my phone.

    Data, WiFi, sync, are OFF.

    I also turn off Bluetooth when not using that. Why let it burn up battery if you don't use it?

    GPS... I have discovered that just leaving it ON in High Accuracy Mode is not a bad thing. The total effect is about 20-25 minutes difference in battery life between ON or OFF.

    Rotation? your choice, but I turn it off.

    for me, a control freak about this, I use Battery Doctor's Switch Widget.

    See screenshot. In this screen shot, everything is shown ON because the green color shows up better than the OFF color which is a faint grey.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails high phone usage in battery but I made no calls-battery-doctor-switcher-window.jpg  
    ____________________________________
    2 each, Verizon Galaxy S5, KK 4.4.4, ART
    MyPhoneExplorer allows file access if ur phone crashes.
    Nova Prime, Textra, Blue Mail, Qi wireless equipped
    MacroDroid extends your battery life.
    MacroDroid senses Screen off, turns Wifi & Data OFF
    OTA updates via WiFi only:
    my WiFi is permanently OFF until Verizon fixes 5.0

    Thanked by:
    debdroid1a likes this.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: high phone usage in battery but I made no calls

    Just turn the S5 completely off while your at it. LOL

    Seriously if you're going to shut down every feature why bother with a Super Phone. The only setting I changed are...

    > Display to 30 seconds, using Auto Brightness
    > Turned off the Touch Key Light

    I don't use facebook, twitter, etc. but everything is being pushed or used like my GPS.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: high phone usage in battery but I made no calls

    Use two fingers to swipe down from the top and then tap Ultra Power Savings Mode when not in use. All apps will be disabled but phone calls and messaging will still be available.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: high phone usage in battery but I made no calls

    Quote Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
    Use two fingers to swipe down from the top and then tap Ultra Power Savings Mode when not in use. All apps will be disabled but phone calls and messaging will still be available.
    I believe he is asking how to fix the usage on his phone app.... Your suggestion isn't bad but suggesting that blindly on any battery thread isn't helpful.

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Galaxy S6 (32 GB) using AC Forums.
  6. #6  
    Morq's Avatar

    Posts
    116 Posts
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts

    Default Re: high phone usage in battery but I made no calls

    For me it was GPS that caused a lot of battery drain - I just have it off most of the time and enjoy fantastic battery life.
    The drain showed on your screenshoot is something I only experience when I install / upgrade a lot of apps.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: high phone usage in battery but I made no calls

    Quote Originally Posted by Morq View Post
    For me it was GPS that caused a lot of battery drain - I just have it off most of the time and enjoy fantastic battery life.
    The drain showed on your screenshoot is something I only experience when I install / upgrade a lot of apps.
    This is a curious point.

    I too once kept the GPS turned off on my Galaxy S.

    The S5 though? I leave GPS on High Accuracy Mode all the time. Turning it off only makes about 20 minutes difference in battery life.

    it is not the GPS that is eating up your battery, it is an app that is constantly accessing it and then calling home to a host to exchange data about where you are. Coupon apps are horrible about this, Amazon Suites is the worst of the crop. If it has Amazon in the name, turn it OFF.

    Turn off the social apps and do not allow anything to track where you are going. Then your battery will give you good life.
    ____________________________________
    2 each, Verizon Galaxy S5, KK 4.4.4, ART
    MyPhoneExplorer allows file access if ur phone crashes.
    Nova Prime, Textra, Blue Mail, Qi wireless equipped
    MacroDroid extends your battery life.
    MacroDroid senses Screen off, turns Wifi & Data OFF
    OTA updates via WiFi only:
    my WiFi is permanently OFF until Verizon fixes 5.0

  8. #8  
    Morq's Avatar

    Posts
    116 Posts
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts

    Default Re: high phone usage in battery but I made no calls

    Quote Originally Posted by AZgl1500 View Post
    This is a curious point.

    I too once kept the GPS turned off on my Galaxy S.

    The S5 though? I leave GPS on High Accuracy Mode all the time. Turning it off only makes about 20 minutes difference in battery life.

    it is not the GPS that is eating up your battery, it is an app that is constantly accessing it and then calling home to a host to exchange data about where you are. Coupon apps are horrible about this, Amazon Suites is the worst of the crop. If it has Amazon in the name, turn it OFF.

    Turn off the social apps and do not allow anything to track where you are going. Then your battery will give you good life.
    Well at times my phone used less than 10% of battery over night, other time it was 20+, with no visible differences in running software. The 'drainage' never happened since I keep location off and only turn it on when needed.
    I know what you say is probably true - something must have abused the hell of the gps but I really have no clue what it could be. I only have facebook and fbook msgner as my social apps and google now.

Similar Threads

  1. Google Maps, My maps from android phone?
    By miyanc in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-03-2015, 10:13 AM
  2. I forgot my password of my android phone huawei ascend
    By AC Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-25-2014, 09:19 PM
  3. Wi-Fi calling issue
    By Smply_Rcklss in forum HTC One M8
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-02-2014, 03:58 PM
  4. Galaxy S3 music in my car
    By AC Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-02-2014, 03:05 PM
  5. Galaxy S4 Mini has no contacts available for wireless charger
    By MamaBear2014 in forum Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-02-2014, 01:14 PM

Posting Permissions