Proper way to clear cache?

theonlybuster

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Looking for some insight on this...
I know you should empty your cache out every few days or when it begins to slow down. I know you shouldn't make it a daily or hourly thing.
My issue is, what's the proper method of clearing cache?
I've been browsing the net and half the sources say just get an app and let the app take care of it, others say take about 30min or so and do it manually app by app.

Some sources say never let an app do it, but fail to mention why aside from the risk of your personal data being stolen, which if you ask me would be a risk we take with a decent number of apps out there, especially social networking apps. So why take extra care when it comes to your cache? I don't have banking apps or anything regarding account information on my phone.

It almost seems like everyone is just paranoid of the possibility of someone looking at their data, so opt to manually do it. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind manually doing it, but if I can manually remove 100% of the temp files and an app removes 95% -well I'm not gonna stress over a small 5% difference.

Give me some insight here, am I missing something?

S5_GJH

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Turn your phone off.

Hold down the volume up, home and power buttons. When the phones loads, use the volume button to choose 'clear cache partition' (or something like that).

When done, use the volume up button to choose reboot.

Done

Posted via Android Central App

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I don't think it's necessary to wipe the cache every few days. There a those that do it every week, every couple of weeks, once a month and some never. For me, I wipe the cache about once a month, or after receiving a lot of app updates, or after making a lot of changes like installing/uninstalling a lot of apps, or when things are buggy and usually after system updates. So it's not so much a routine on a schedule thing for me as much as it is when I feel it's a good time. I've never used an app to do this and don't go through individual apps doing it either, unless one particular app may need it. It only takes a couple of minutes to do the entire system through recovery so why spend a lot of time hitting one app a time? Anyway, here's an easy to follow way to perform the wipe for the S5;

To wipe the cache partition, follow these steps:

Turn off the device.
Press and hold the following three buttons at the same time:
Volume Up key
Home key
Power key
When the phone vibrates, let go of the Power key but continue to press and hold the Volume Up key and the Home key.
When the Android System Recovery screen appears, release the Volume Up and Home keys.
Press the Volume Down key to highlight 'wipe cache partition.'
Press the Power key to select.
When the wipe cache partition is complete, 'Reboot system now' is highlighted.
Press the Power key to restart the device.

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it's necessary to wipe the cache every few days. There a those that do it every week, every couple of weeks, once a month and some never. For me, I wipe the cache about once a month, or after receiving a lot of app updates, or after making a lot of changes like installing/uninstalling a lot of apps, or when things are buggy and usually after system updates. So it's not so much a routine on a schedule thing for me as much as it is when I feel it's a good time. I've never used an app to do this and don't go through individual apps doing it either, unless one particular app may need it. It only takes a couple of minutes to do the entire system through recovery so why spend a lot of time hitting one app a time? Anyway, here's an easy to follow way to perform the wipe for the S5;

Turn off the device.
Press and hold the following three buttons at the same time:
Volume Up key
Home key
Power key
When the phone vibrates, let go of the Power key but continue to press and hold the Volume Up key and the Home key.
When the Android System Recovery screen appears, release the Volume Up and Home keys.
Press the Volume Down key to highlight 'wipe cache partition.'
Press the Power key to select.
When the wipe cache partition is complete, 'Reboot system now' is highlighted.
Press the Power key to restart the device.

How can I do this on a Nexus 5? Same steps don't work.... Thx.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
How can I do this on a Nexus 5? Same steps don't work.... Thx.

You're in luck, I also have a Nexus 5 and just did this the other day. Here you go;

Turn off the device.
Press and hold the Volume Up and the Volume Down and Power keys at the same time for about 10 seconds.
An image of an Android lying on its back will appear.
Press the Volume Down key twice until "Recovery mode" appears on the screen.
Press the Power key to restart in "Recovery mode."
An image of an Android with a red triangle will appear.
While holding down the Power key, tap the Volume Up key.
The Android System Recovery screen will appear. Release all keys.
Use the Volume keys to scroll to wipe data cache partition and press the Power key to select.
The phone will restart.

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
You're in luck, I also have a Nexus 5 and just did this the other day. Here you go;

Turn off the device.
Press and hold the Volume Up and the Volume Down and Power keys at the same time for about 10 seconds.
An image of an Android lying on its back will appear.
Press the Volume Down key twice until "Recovery mode" appears on the screen.
Press the Power key to restart in "Recovery mode."
An image of an Android with a red triangle will appear.
While holding down the Power key, tap the Volume Up key.
The Android System Recovery screen will appear. Release all keys.
Use the Volume keys to scroll to wipe data cache partition and press the Power key to select.
The phone will restart.

Perfect. Thank you :)

jmagid51

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Would be nice to have an automated process to do this. Seems like the way described works but it also takes 3 hands and for those of us who are all thumbs an automated process would be nice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar