Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default HTC m8 envy?

Anyone envious of HTC owners? or miss them if they came from the m8?

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: HTC m8 envy?

I had a hard time decided between the two at first, but the screen and camera of the S5 quickly won me over at first (in person) sight. It's been a few months since I got my S5 and I'm still very happy with my decision and definitely wouldn't change my mind if I had the option. Beyond the better general image quality, the extremely extensive thread about the M8's plastic lens cover gives me great pause. I also feel more secure knowing that I can use my phone in the pouring rain without a worry in the world.
    debdroid1a likes this.

Global Posts
    162 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crazyralph90 View Post

I don't have the M8 nor the S5, but if I had to choose, it would definitely be the M8.

The S5 would be a great device if it weren't for TouchWiz.

TouchWiz is reason enough for me to avoid the S5.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Quick answer, no. LOL

What's the point of having an amazing Hardware (M8) if the Software is weak and honestly aren't very useful. I love the M7 but thinking back last year's releases either felt short (G2) or a disaster (S4) so did hTc really deserved it. This is why I had second thoughts about the M8 and exchanged it for the S5.

I always said I hate that Samsung treated the S series like a beta for their true flagship, the Note series but they didn't know when to stop. I wished they stuck with 5.5" and just reduced the Bezels which would've been perfect.

I got taste of Wireless Charging with the nexus 5 and Waterproof with my first Sony XPERIA, the Z Ultra. I sold both because I got bored of them. I'm pointing these two out because now it's two features I love and now a must have, which is why I'm afraid the G3 will not last.

Combine all these with Samsung improving TouchWiz, increasing Battery Life and more importantly eliminating the Lag and you have a winner...Super Phone of 2014!

I have had the verizon s5 right after launch and hated the fact that m8 owners had root and I did not..... Now I have root and love my s5
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Thanks for the input everyone

Quote Originally Posted by frag06 View Post

The S5 would be a great device if it weren't for TouchWiz.

TouchWiz is reason enough for me to avoid the S5.
    There is nothing wrong with TouchWiz, it does a terrific job.
    debdroid1a and NoNexus like this.

Global Posts
    1,266 Global Posts

I looked at the m8 when I purchased my second galaxy s5 a few days ago and I just couldn't get into that operating system. I love the samsung touch wiz

Sent from my Galaxy S5
    debdroid1a and neiljay6 like this.

The thing I like about the m8 is that it is more faster at opening apps compared to my s5. It opens things quickly and doesn't seem to refresh too many if not all opened apps when going through the recent apps menu. The s5 seems to refresh when opening back to an app that has already been opened. But other than that, I prefer the s5 because of the camera and features.

Sent from my SM-G900V using AC Forums mobile app

No please. S5 suits my needs

On-screen buttons are a complete deal breaker for me. All of a sudden a 5" screen is effectively reduced to less than a 4.8" screen. Effective use of screen size is to primary task of any cell phone maker. To simply waste valuable screen real estate on idiotic on-screen buttons is beyond stupid. I bought a phone with a 5.1" screen and I want to be able to use every bit of it.

Global Posts
    162 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AZgl1500 View Post
    It really doesn't do a great job. It isn't optimized for it's full potential. It is a resource hog.

Sense 6.0 is much more optimized and it is noticeable. Put the M8 and S5 next to each other and the difference is even more noticeable.

Beyond optimization, it is personal preference. If Samsung would optimize TouchWiz to the likes of HTC's Sense, it would be great.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by AZgl1500 View Post
    This is my first S series device. After all the horror stories I've heard of touchwiz I thought I might hate it. But that hasn't been the case. I like it a lot. Easily the best phone I've ever laid my hands on. I wasn't impressed enough with my wife's M7 to try the M8.

A similar question was asked on another board. One answer with the 3 options the S5 has, won me over to the S5.

SD card
    Replaceable battery
    Headphone jack on top

Androidn00bie75 likes this.

The M8 has an sd card slot...

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app
    Lynx likes this.

I didn't see that it had an sdcard in the specs I saw. But the other two would still win me over.

Plus the touch wiz is not that bad. I had a Droid 4 and my dad's S3 looked better on screen. The D4 also had a physical keyboard which made it heavier and the update to Jellybean made it near impossible to use, so I just stopped and was glad that they haven't made a D5 because it would be temping.

Carrier
    MIJJzGoodnessFD02/ Rouge

Honestly, I've lost all envy of HTC devices after sense 4.0, I felt that every iteration of HTC Sense beyond 4.0 was just over bearing, it didn't even feel like an Android device to me. I can go into a store and pick up all the different devices and find the feature or app I'm looking for, except for HTC phones. I have to relearn the layout and functionality every time I pick one up. I'm envious of G3 owners, but not for long

I have absolutely no envy for the M8. It may look high end, but that's where it stops. I love the display on my S5. The display is just incredible. The camera on the S5 beats the M8's by a long stretch. HTC is just holding on, while Samsung is blowing the competition away.

If hTc keeps this build, increas3 the Camera, gives me MultiWindow and somehow give me Wireless Charging and/or Waterproof. I have no problems dropping Samsung.

Pro S5

Hmm apart from the camera and waterproofing the HTC destroys the s5 far quicker load speeds better build quality far better ui (touchwiz looks like it should be on a kids tablet) screen is better (unless you like everything looking like a cartoon that is) I mean there are very few people that are going to use a removable battery and the battery life can easily last all day with moderate usage oh and boom sound speakers..... Yes

frag06 and llfloyd79 like this.

None here. Went from HTC 4G LTE to S4, and now S5. I love the S5, it's stellar. Way better than the S4 IMO. I took a hard look at the HTC One but I'm glad I went with the S5.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyralph90 View Post

Nope don't like the M8, so I wouldn't be

Quote Originally Posted by bembol View Post
    If hTc keeps this build, increas3 the Camera, gives me MultiWindow and somehow give me Wireless Charging and/or Waterproof. I have no problems dropping Samsung.

Pro S5
    It won't have wireless charging until they ditch the metal back.

The only thing the HTC One has over the S5 is the speakers... Other than that I love this phone

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk
    debdroid1a and bembol like this.

I will admit I am a little envious of the M8, especially the speakers. If that camera was just a tiny bit better I would definitely go with it

And I know this is an unpopular opinion but I actually like TouchWiz and HTC Sense. It looks like Sense has gone a bit more minimalist but I like having a splash of color/features that are added to stock Android/Google. I know they also add bloatware but that's a relatively easy fix
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast