Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By monicakm
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question do i need to root my galaxy s5 for hotspots to work?

when i take my unlocked (simm unlocked) galaxy s5 (was a tmobile now working on another carrier outside of the US) and setup hotspots I am able to see the hotspot on both my mac (mavericks) and windows (win 8) systems but I can not connect. Times out after I enter the password (which I know to be 100% correct). My carrier told me i should be able to use it without issue as they don't restrict any type of tethering. Only thing I can think to do is root the phone, any thoughts?

Default Re: do i need to root my galaxy s5 for hotspots to work?

My S5 is also unlocked (SIM) and no issues, try restarting it and check both settings.

Pro S5
    "I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie (THE NEWSROOM, HBO)
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by bembol View Post
    My S5 is also unlocked (SIM) and no issues, try restarting it and check both settings.

Pro S5
    Thanks, I tried that (even pulled the battery) and I also reset my keychain on my mac (but seeing same issue on both Mac and Windows I think it's a s5 issue). I get "xxx requires a WPA2 password" but this seems to be a message not related to the issue. Any other thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by DLRDLR View Post
    when i take my unlocked (simm unlocked) galaxy s5 (was a tmobile now working on another carrier outside of the US) and setup hotspots I am able to see the hotspot on both my mac (mavericks) and windows (win 8) systems but I can not connect. Times out after I enter the password (which I know to be 100% correct). My carrier told me i should be able to use it without issue as they don't restrict any type of tethering. Only thing I can think to do is root the phone, any thoughts?
    I got mine from verizon wireless also sim unlocked, using it whit another carrier abroad and i cannot use mobile hotspot either, in my case it doesn't even turn on.

Try using Fox Fi app found in the Play Store. It turns your phone into a hotspot. a one time charge of $8 NO charges from your carrier. I use it to Connect my wifi only Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition in the car when we are traveling.
    Thanked by:
    DLRDLR 
    DLRDLR likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Fox Fi worked like a charm! The free version worked so I moved to the paid version ($8) to have no usage limits. Not sure why this works and the built in HotSpots doesn't, but for $8 i'm a happy camper! Thanks again Monicakm!

You're SO welcome! Glad I could help