when i take my unlocked (simm unlocked) galaxy s5 (was a tmobile now working on another carrier outside of the US) and setup hotspots I am able to see the hotspot on both my mac (mavericks) and windows (win 8) systems but I can not connect. Times out after I enter the password (which I know to be 100% correct). My carrier told me i should be able to use it without issue as they don't restrict any type of tethering. Only thing I can think to do is root the phone, any thoughts?
    07-06-2014 07:11 AM
    My S5 is also unlocked (SIM) and no issues, try restarting it and check both settings.

Pro S5
    07-06-2014 07:56 AM
    My S5 is also unlocked (SIM) and no issues, try restarting it and check both settings.

Pro S5
    Thanks, I tried that (even pulled the battery) and I also reset my keychain on my mac (but seeing same issue on both Mac and Windows I think it's a s5 issue). I get "xxx requires a WPA2 password" but this seems to be a message not related to the issue. Any other thoughts?
    07-06-2014 09:34 AM
    when i take my unlocked (simm unlocked) galaxy s5 (was a tmobile now working on another carrier outside of the US) and setup hotspots I am able to see the hotspot on both my mac (mavericks) and windows (win 8) systems but I can not connect. Times out after I enter the password (which I know to be 100% correct). My carrier told me i should be able to use it without issue as they don't restrict any type of tethering. Only thing I can think to do is root the phone, any thoughts?
    I got mine from verizon wireless also sim unlocked, using it whit another carrier abroad and i cannot use mobile hotspot either, in my case it doesn't even turn on.
    07-06-2014 10:29 AM
    Try using Fox Fi app found in the Play Store. It turns your phone into a hotspot. a one time charge of $8 NO charges from your carrier. I use it to Connect my wifi only Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition in the car when we are traveling.
    DLRDLR likes this.
    07-06-2014 12:58 PM
    Fox Fi worked like a charm! The free version worked so I moved to the paid version ($8) to have no usage limits. Not sure why this works and the built in HotSpots doesn't, but for $8 i'm a happy camper! Thanks again Monicakm!
    07-06-2014 02:26 PM
    You're SO welcome! Glad I could help
    07-07-2014 12:44 AM
    Hey guys,
    On the same topic. I read somewhere that Kit Kat was going to close the door on using apps like Fox Fi (in particular) to use your phone as a free hot spot (Verizon). I purposely rooted and shut off the phones ability to get the new update because of this. Is this not the case?
    11-06-2014 07:51 AM
    Foxfi works with KitKat on HTC and Samsung
    11-06-2014 08:26 PM