Verizon S5 - how to block OTA update?

carbear02

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I see a bunch of updates here for S5 and it's only a matter of time before it gets to verizon. I want to block the update - any way to do it?

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Only way I know of is to root and flash a custom ROM. I do this and haven't received an OTA in a long time.

Sent from my EffortLess T-Mobile Note 3

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Only way I know of is to root and flash a custom ROM. I do this and haven't received an OTA in a long time.

Sent from my EffortLess T-Mobile Note 3

He is with Verizon, as I am.

There are no custom ROMs available.

Towelroot is not a true rooted phone, it just unlocks the boot loader.
Better than nothing, but the ROM is the same, it was not replaced.

Any deeper and this will have to go under the "rooted phone" arena.

dean290000

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
On rooted phone, disable SDM by going to /system/app then rename SDM.apk to SDM.apk.bak

There is nothing wrong with your method but if you have Titanium Backup, just Freeze SDM 1.0 or back it up and wipe it.

Titanium backup just makes it quicker and easier for me but renaming the apk would work just the same,

Dean

PS: I will NEVER EVER except another VZW update as S2/S3 and now S5 owner and even have my wife's S3 rooted just so I could disable SDB so she kept the best build for the S3.

hwjohn

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
There is nothing wrong with your method but if you have Titanium Backup, just Freeze SDM 1.0 or back it up and wipe it.

Titanium backup just makes it quicker and easier for me but renaming the apk would work just the same,

Super easy fix, thanks! Thought Verizon would succeed in cramming an OTA down my throat, but no more!

Chief G-Hawk

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Towelroot is not a true rooted phone, it just unlocks the boot loader.
Better than nothing, but the ROM is the same, it was not replaced.

This is incorrect. Towelroot is a method to root your phone. You got it reversed. It does NOT unlock your bootloader.

Posted via Android Central App

dean290000

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
This is incorrect. Towelroot is a method to root your phone. You got it reversed. It does NOT unlock your bootloader.

Towelroot does root the phone. It gives it superuser access. The whole ROMs and the Verizon KNOX is the reason you cant run custom ROMs on the S5. Verizon is trying to sell KNOX to the corporate world as being unbreakable. I don't run custom ROMs on Samsung's hardware but I hope someone does figure out a easy method to bypass KNOX. I personally think it should be illegal for companies to not honor the warranty just because the KNOX counter was tripped. It is not like you cant flash the phone back to exactly the same specs. Samsung and Verizon both are using a lousy superuser account as a reason to screw people out of legitimate hardware failures. I understand the jailbroken IOS a little more because they really takes away all security but a SU account is just giving admin rights like c:\windows\system\ or # (root) on Linux. It actually gives the users the ability to make their phone more secure if they so desire.

Does it not bother anyone else that all these companies including Google, Apple, Microsoft, Verizon, ATT, etc want to be able to monitor all your data at any time and at least in the United States turns any info over to the government upon request.

Smart Phones/Formerly PDA's have improved by leaps and bounds from a technology aspect but a simple flashlight app now wants a digital DNA including access to your phonebook, calendar, and gps. Sorry for getting off topic..

Chief G-Hawk

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Towelroot does root the phone. It gives it superuser access. The whole ROMs and the Verizon KNOX is the reason you cant run custom ROMs on the S5. Verizon is trying to sell KNOX to the corporate world as being unbreakable. I don't run custom ROMs on Samsung's hardware but I hope someone does figure out a easy method to bypass KNOX. I personally think it should be illegal for companies to not honor the warranty just because the KNOX counter was tripped. It is not like you cant flash the phone back to exactly the same specs. Samsung and Verizon both are using a lousy superuser account as a reason to screw people out of legitimate hardware failures. I understand the jailbroken IOS a little more because they really takes away all security but a SU account is just giving admin rights like c:\windows\system\ or # (root) on Linux. It actually gives the users the ability to make their phone more secure if they so desire.

Does it not bother anyone else that all these companies including Google, Apple, Microsoft, Verizon, ATT, etc want to be able to monitor all your data at any time and at least in the United States turns any info over to the government upon request.

Smart Phones/Formerly PDA's have improved by leaps and bounds from a technology aspect but a simple flashlight app now wants a digital DNA including access to your phonebook, calendar, and gps. Sorry for getting off topic..

I said towelroot roots your phone. Other poster got it wrong.

dean290000

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
also if you ignore the update forever, will that prevent it from being installed?

I am not sure if it gives you the option to delay it for a day and then forces it on you after some time. If memory serves, I believe they do force it on you sometime.

My advice is real easy. Run the Towelroot (Google it).
Install Titanium Backup from Google App Store
Install SuperSU from Google App Store
Run Titanium Backup
Wait for it to load things and grant it SuperUser rights when it prompts you.
Click on Backup option in the top middle of Titanium Backup
Filter to SDM and click on the SDM 1.0 which is listed and then choose freeze
After Titanium Backup tells you it is frozen, there is no more updates forced on you from VZW.

This is really pretty straightforward stuff. No Shell required and towelroot is the easiest Samsung root on a VZW phone ever created.

Dean

DeadMoneyDrew

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
I am not sure if it gives you the option to delay it for a day and then forces it on you after some time. If memory serves, I believe they do force it on you sometime.

This is my recollection as well. Unfortunately I was in brain autopilot mode when I got the update notice, and clicked on it without thinking. Bye bye root. :-(

carbear02

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I accidentally clicked "install now" but pulled the battery before it started. any way to save it? I am NOT rooted.

I also tried to boot into recovery mode but when I Hit volume up, home + power at the same time, it goes straight to "system update"

1Coopgt

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I accidentally clicked "install now" but pulled the battery before it started. any way to save it? I am NOT rooted.

I also tried to boot into recovery mode but when I Hit volume up, home + power at the same time, it goes straight to "system update"

If your not rooted why are you worried about taking the update ? It's doesn't hurt anything .

1Coopgt

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
You know you can turn the bloatware off right ? And I hate to tell ya this but the S5 will be obsolete in another month or two or with in a year of its release because something better and faster will come out. Obsolescence has nothing to do with bloatware . LOL

Last edited: