Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Verizon S5 - how to block OTA update?

I see a bunch of updates here for S5 and it's only a matter of time before it gets to verizon. I want to block the update - any way to do it?

Default Re: Verizon S5 - how to block OTA update?

Only way I know of is to root and flash a custom ROM. I do this and haven't received an OTA in a long time.

Sent from my EffortLess T-Mobile Note 3
    "The worst foe lies within the self....."
    Get yourself some storage with Dropbox: http://db.tt/hWGiTCa

Quote Originally Posted by VDub2174 View Post
    Only way I know of is to root and flash a custom ROM. I do this and haven't received an OTA in a long time.

Sent from my EffortLess T-Mobile Note 3
    He is with Verizon, as I am.

There are no custom ROMs available.

Towelroot is not a true rooted phone, it just unlocks the boot loader.
    Better than nothing, but the ROM is the same, it was not replaced.

Any deeper and this will have to go under the "rooted phone" arena.
    Verizon Galaxy S5

Quote Originally Posted by AZgl1500 View Post
    Towelroot is not a true rooted phone, it just unlocks the boot loader
    WOW really ? I seem to recall reading geohot's post stating that it roots your phone but does NOT unlock your bootloader..

On rooted phone, disable SDM by going to /system/app then rename SDM.apk to SDM.apk.bak

Quote Originally Posted by kenxu View Post
    On rooted phone, disable SDM by going to /system/app then rename SDM.apk to SDM.apk.bak
    There is nothing wrong with your method but if you have Titanium Backup, just Freeze SDM 1.0 or back it up and wipe it.

Titanium backup just makes it quicker and easier for me but renaming the apk would work just the same,

Dean

PS: I will NEVER EVER except another VZW update as S2/S3 and now S5 owner and even have my wife's S3 rooted just so I could disable SDB so she kept the best build for the S3.
    Thanked by:
    hwjohn 

Quote Originally Posted by dean290000 View Post
    There is nothing wrong with your method but if you have Titanium Backup, just Freeze SDM 1.0 or back it up and wipe it.

Titanium backup just makes it quicker and easier for me but renaming the apk would work just the same,
    Super easy fix, thanks! Thought Verizon would succeed in cramming an OTA down my throat, but no more!

Worked for me as well, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by AZgl1500 View Post

Towelroot is not a true rooted phone, it just unlocks the boot loader.
    Better than nothing, but the ROM is the same, it was not replaced.
    This is incorrect. Towelroot is a method to root your phone. You got it reversed. It does NOT unlock your bootloader.

Posted via Android Central App
    Samsung Galaxy S4 (Arctic Blue)
    Successfully ROOTED Samsung Galaxy S5 (Black) - AT&T

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteiPadMini View Post
    This is incorrect. Towelroot is a method to root your phone. You got it reversed. It does NOT unlock your bootloader.

Towelroot does root the phone. It gives it superuser access. The whole ROMs and the Verizon KNOX is the reason you cant run custom ROMs on the S5. Verizon is trying to sell KNOX to the corporate world as being unbreakable. I don't run custom ROMs on Samsung's hardware but I hope someone does figure out a easy method to bypass KNOX. I personally think it should be illegal for companies to not honor the warranty just because the KNOX counter was tripped. It is not like you cant flash the phone back to exactly the same specs. Samsung and Verizon both are using a lousy superuser account as a reason to screw people out of legitimate hardware failures. I understand the jailbroken IOS a little more because they really takes away all security but a SU account is just giving admin rights like c:\windows\system\ or # (root) on Linux. It actually gives the users the ability to make their phone more secure if they so desire.

Does it not bother anyone else that all these companies including Google, Apple, Microsoft, Verizon, ATT, etc want to be able to monitor all your data at any time and at least in the United States turns any info over to the government upon request.

Smart Phones/Formerly PDA's have improved by leaps and bounds from a technology aspect but a simple flashlight app now wants a digital DNA including access to your phonebook, calendar, and gps. Sorry for getting off topic..

Towelroot does root the phone. It gives it superuser access. The whole ROMs and the Verizon KNOX is the reason you cant run custom ROMs on the S5. Verizon is trying to sell KNOX to the corporate world as being unbreakable. I don't run custom ROMs on Samsung's hardware but I hope someone does figure out a easy method to bypass KNOX. I personally think it should be illegal for companies to not honor the warranty just because the KNOX counter was tripped. It is not like you cant flash the phone back to exactly the same specs. Samsung and Verizon both are using a lousy superuser account as a reason to screw people out of legitimate hardware failures. I understand the jailbroken IOS a little more because they really takes away all security but a SU account is just giving admin rights like c:\windows\system\ or # (root) on Linux. It actually gives the users the ability to make their phone more secure if they so desire.

Does it not bother anyone else that all these companies including Google, Apple, Microsoft, Verizon, ATT, etc want to be able to monitor all your data at any time and at least in the United States turns any info over to the government upon request.

Smart Phones/Formerly PDA's have improved by leaps and bounds from a technology aspect but a simple flashlight app now wants a digital DNA including access to your phonebook, calendar, and gps. Sorry for getting off topic..
    I said towelroot roots your phone. Other poster got it wrong.

Samsung Galaxy S4 (Arctic Blue)
    Successfully ROOTED Samsung Galaxy S5 (Black) - AT&T
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

can you share screenshots or a video please?
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

also if you ignore the update forever, will that prevent it from being installed?

Quote Originally Posted by carbear02 View Post
    also if you ignore the update forever, will that prevent it from being installed?
    I am not sure if it gives you the option to delay it for a day and then forces it on you after some time. If memory serves, I believe they do force it on you sometime.

My advice is real easy. Run the Towelroot (Google it).
    Install Titanium Backup from Google App Store
    Install SuperSU from Google App Store
    Run Titanium Backup
    Wait for it to load things and grant it SuperUser rights when it prompts you.
    Click on Backup option in the top middle of Titanium Backup
    Filter to SDM and click on the SDM 1.0 which is listed and then choose freeze
    After Titanium Backup tells you it is frozen, there is no more updates forced on you from VZW.

This is really pretty straightforward stuff. No Shell required and towelroot is the easiest Samsung root on a VZW phone ever created.

Dean

I am not sure if it gives you the option to delay it for a day and then forces it on you after some time. If memory serves, I believe they do force it on you sometime.
    This is my recollection as well. Unfortunately I was in brain autopilot mode when I got the update notice, and clicked on it without thinking. Bye bye root. :-(
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Yeah, I accidentally clicked "install now" but pulled the battery before it started. any way to save it? I am NOT rooted.

I also tried to boot into recovery mode but when I Hit volume up, home + power at the same time, it goes straight to "system update"

Global Posts
    256 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by carbear02 View Post
    Yeah, I accidentally clicked "install now" but pulled the battery before it started. any way to save it? I am NOT rooted.

I also tried to boot into recovery mode but when I Hit volume up, home + power at the same time, it goes straight to "system update"
    If your not rooted why are you worried about taking the update ? It's doesn't hurt anything .
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

because i think they add bloat wear to my phone rendering my phone obsolete before the 2 year contract is up

Global Posts
    256 Global Posts

You know you can turn the bloatware off right ? And I hate to tell ya this but the S5 will be obsolete in another month or two or with in a year of its release because something better and faster will come out. Obsolescence has nothing to do with bloatware . LOL
    Last edited by 1Coopgt; 08-15-2014 at 02:25 PM.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

how do you turn off the bloatware? whats the point to rooting if you can turn off the bloatware with no root?