Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AZgl1500
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Help please

So I Got My S5 Last Week, I Used It For The First Two Days Flawlessly, Battery Life Amazing Impressive (More Than My Previous Droid Maxx) BUT Then I Got The T-Mobile Update That Enables Voice Over LTE, Which Ends In BNF6, And I Got It Over The Samsung Kies On My Laptop. After That Update My Battery Has Been Disappointing, It Take 3 minutes exactly for it to go from 100% to 99%, which before the update would take like 9 minutes, with screen brightness at 50%. I already factory reset it, I cleared the cache partition. I haven't seen NOBODY else have that issue in any forum so I'm deciding whether to get it replaced before the 14 days. Anybody else has had this problem???

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: Help please

Is the voice over lte running in the background that could be a cause, but hey you're in your 14 days you have that option.

3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by brothamoveson View Post
    Is the voice over lte running in the background that could be a cause, but hey you're in your 14 days you have that option.

I constantly monitor anything running on the background and no it's all clear. I believe I'll just get a new one

Unfortunately lithium batteries don't discharge in a linear fashion which is why you can't compare the time required to drop 1% from 100%. What you should do instead is compare total screen on time after a full discharge and compare those values, this is the only way to be accurate in your comparisons.

Sent from my MZ604 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus Delgadillo View Post
    So I Got My S5 Last Week, I Used It For The First Two Days Flawlessly, Battery Life Amazing Impressive (More Than My Previous Droid Maxx) BUT Then I Got The T-Mobile Update That Enables Voice Over LTE, Which Ends In BNF6, And I Got It Over The Samsung Kies On My Laptop.

After That Update My Battery Has Been Disappointing, It Take 3 minutes exactly for it to go from 100% to 99%, which before the update would take like 9 minutes, with screen brightness at 50%.

Whoa!!!

You are overly concerned about the first 1% of use.

That is NOT a good comparison, and you certainly won't be able to get it replaced if that is your only complaint.

If you want to see just how slow the battery can be made to go, use a switcher to turn OFF the internet.
    That is, turn off WiFi and Data.

I use Battery Doctor's Switcher Widget to turn off almost everything except for the GPS.
    ie, data, sync, wifi, bluetooth, rotation.

* Battery Doctor (Battery Saver) - Android Apps on Google Play

When the phone is idle under that condition , the battery will last you for days. I have proven that it will go 5 days like that. And yes, you can still talk on it, and you can send SMS text messages with all of the above turned off.

I do it everyday because I manually control when my phone talks to the internet. I have no need for social networks or notifications.

but that is a decision you have to make, YMMV on battery life, it totally depends on how many power hungry apps you allow to run.

Make sure that anything with Amazon in the name has been deleted off the phone. Make sure that all social apps are closed or not installed on the phone. Do not allow anything to sync or poll for Notifications.

When I want to access my email, I turn on DATA or WIFI, which ever is appropriate and it takes almost 3 seconds for my inbox to sync up with the email servers. 3 seconds is a very small price to pay for having a battery at nearly top condition all the time.

I have attached 3 screenshots for you to look at. Battery Doctor's switcher widget, one that shows the phone at 100% after a few hours ( I forgot to document this photo, I am not sure of its' validity, but it is typical of what I get daily ), and the last one is after the phone being fully charged and having finished up a very long phone conversation with a trucker friend.... we talk for hours and hours, 5 in this case.

I take my phone off the Qi wireless charger at 0500 every morning. It is usually idle until time for lunch. I unlock it and the battery is typically at 97% or 98% after 5 or 6 hours of idle time.

If your phone is using power faster than that, then you have apps running that need to be hunted down and stopped, deleted, or controlled. Your decision. Just showing what can be accomplished and I do it daily.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help please-battery-doctor-switcher-window.jpg   Help please-battery-100-2h-25m.jpg   Help please-5-hours-talking-andy.jpg  
    MacroDroid extends your battery life.
    MacroDroid senses Screen off, turns Wifi & Data OFF
    OTA updates via WiFi only:
    my WiFi is permanently OFF until Verizon fixes 5.0

Thanked by 2:
    younggreenanne likes this.

Have only had mine for two weeks, but coming from a S2, the battery life of the S5 so far is light years ahead.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by msavic6 View Post
    Unfortunately lithium batteries don't discharge in a linear fashion which is why you can't compare the time required to drop 1% from 100%. What you should do instead is compare total screen on time after a full discharge and compare those values, this is the only way to be accurate in your comparisons.

Sent from my MZ604 using Tapatalk
    I'll do that. What's your highest screen on time?

8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

My phone is very accurate when it drops percentages in battery life. I have checked it constantly and it takes about 4 minutes to drop 1%
    The reason why I'm asking this is because I have plenty friends with the same phone as mine and they get double the time of life than I do. And we all use it about the same time. They just don't have the update I have, they're in the previous one.

I'll do that. What's your highest screen on time?

This was one of my better charges, the last 15% could give me roughly an extra hour of screen on time. I don't regularly use my phone this much though, I tend to go to bed with 30-40% battery.

My phone is very accurate when it drops percentages in battery life. I have checked it constantly and it takes about 4 minutes to drop 1%
    The reason why I'm asking this is because I have plenty friends with the same phone as mine and they get double the time of life than I do. And we all use it about the same time. They just don't have the update I have, they're in the previous one.

In consistent usage with the screen on, 4 minutes of screen on time per percentage of battery is very good. If that usage remains consistent for the whole charge, you would end up with 6:40 of screen on time, that's a very good result.

If your friends are getting 8 minutes of screen on time per percentage battery, they aren't telling you the truth, the S5 can't achieve 12 hours of screen on time unless you are staring at a PDF with a black background.

I suggest downloading GSAM Battery Monitory and using your phone regularly for a full charge, you should then come back and post a screen shot of the main page from GSAM.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

I'll download it right now meanwhile this is what I got so far...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help please-screenshot_2014-07-07-21-56-58.jpg   Help please-screenshot_2014-07-07-21-57-03.jpg  

I'll download it right now meanwhile this is what I got so far...

Was this on LTE or WiFi? If it's on LTE that isn't a bad result considering that you streamed Pandora for a period of time.

12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by msavic6 View Post
    Was this on LTE or WiFi? If it's on LTE that isn't a bad result considering that you streamed Pandora for a period of time.

It was on LTE while driving. I talked on the phone at a work conference call for 2 hours and I used Pandora one hour. This was all over LTE, then I got home and got on wifi

13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

This was my final result
    4 hours of screen on time but my phone died in the process of screenshooting lol

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help please-screenshot_2014-07-08-00-25-05.jpg  
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

I was still able to pull it out. The stats froze when I plugged in the charger

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help please-screenshot_2014-07-08-01-32-11.jpg