Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By kcaitch
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default 2 S5s - Completely Different Phones

A couple weeks ago, I made the switch from iPhone to the Galaxy S5. I went into Sprint and got two new S5s for my wife and for myself. After a week or so of using the phones, we started noticing that our phones are pretty different and I can't figure out why. The most noticeable difference is the camera. I have been able to download the different camera modes and all that, but my wife's doesn't show up. I downloaded the modes for her, but her camera app doesn't show them on the screen like mine does. And she can't zoom in on her camera (while she is framing a shot as opposed to zooming on the picture after it is taken). Another difference I noticed is that she doesn't have the Kids Mode app (Samsung app I think). It came preloaded on my phone, but I can't seem to find it on hers, nor can I find it to download it for her.

Maybe this is one of those things that we will have to get used to; no two Android phones are the same. Any ideas on how I can fix these things before my wife accuses me of sabotaging her phone?

Thanks,
    Ken

Global Posts
    102 Global Posts

Default Re: 2 S5s - Completely Different Phones

This is not normal for android phones my friend... :-)

When her phone was turned on for the first time, do you recall going through an activation process? Maybe this was done in store and it was a returned phone or something?

You can try a factory reset to see what happens, but first check the software version and see if it needs an update.

R
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

If I do the reset, will she be able to bring all the apps back fairly easily? She is already frustrated with the phone and I don't want to add to it. I did check to make sure we were using the exact same version of software, which we are.

It should not be like that for sure. Same phones from the same carrier should be the "same". Your wife's phone is not set in Easy Mode is it? If not, I would go back to the Sprint store and get them to exchange her phone.

Quote Originally Posted by mhunter6378 View Post
    It should not be like that for sure. Same phones from the same carrier should be the "same". Your wife's phone is not set in Easy Mode is it? If not, I would go back to the Sprint store and get them to exchange her phone.
    Yep, I would check to make sure it is not on Easy Mode.

To find "Kid's mode", go to the applications folder and choose widgets. You have to set it up yourself.

Posted via Android Central App

Check wife's phone to see if Power Savings Mode is on. That could alter what she can do.

Quote Originally Posted by kcaitch View Post
    If I do the reset, will she be able to bring all the apps back fairly easily? She is already frustrated with the phone and I don't want to add to it. I did check to make sure we were using the exact same version of software, which we are.

Yes, all you need to do is load up the three tools and make a backup.

Kies will backup the phone,
    Smartswitcher will move stuff from one phone to another (if both are in your hands)
    SideSync will let you move stuff from the phone to your PC.

* 3 tools
    Verizon Galaxy S5 since Launch Day

Nova Prime, Textra, Blue Mail
    MacroDroid > Scrn off/Wifi Data OFF > Scrn on/WiFi Data ON
    Thanked by:
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Sorry for the long delay, but this was the issue (Easy Mode). No idea why she turned it on, but as soon as it was switched off, everything was good to go.

Huge thanks everyone! Off to explore some more!

Quote Originally Posted by mhunter6378 View Post
    ladyc0524 and MrJBot like this.