Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Google maps? Please read

I used Google maps to go from cumming, Georgia to orange beach Alabama, during my trip maps just stopped working 3 times. I missed 2 intersections on Hwy 85 and 65.the same happened on my way back. Did this happen to someone else? Is it my phone? Should I return it to tmobile, or could it be something else?
    Quick response would be appreciated

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    4,356 Global Posts
    ROM
    CandyKat 4.4.4

Default Re: Google maps? Please read

Quote Originally Posted by klauspabst View Post
    I used Google maps to go from cumming, Georgia to orange beach Alabama, during my trip maps just stopped working 3 times. I missed 2 intersections on Hwy 85 and 65.the same happened on my way back. Did this happen to someone else? Is it my phone? Should I return it to tmobile, or could it be something else?
    Quick response would be appreciated

Hello. There are multiple possibilities as to why this could have occurred.

One that comes to my mind is that you entered an area with weak signal.
    "The glow of one warm thought is to me worth more than money." - Thomas Jefferson

My One X has served its time...now it's the Note 4's turn

Is it possible you were in an area where your service dropped?

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts

Mine has done it, all of a sudden google maps isn't even open.

It's not your phone though, I also use waze and never had this happen, most likely a bug with Google maps.

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

My wife had YouTube videos on her phone with no problems, so I'm guessing that we had coverage!

Apps crash, freeze, and stop working for a number of reasons. This reason is why when I'm driving on the interstate, I take into account the number of miles I need to travel before my next exit, turn, or merge and make a mental note; "Next turn is in 22miles, so when my odometer reads 32,023 I need to be awaiting a chime/beep/tone/sound from my phone."
    I do this because my map app has failed on me a few times, but knowing ahead that I need to make an action around a certain mile marker, has mostly eliminated this.

Now I will say, when I have OTHER apps open, or my phone is syncing, I often run into issues. This is the problem with most Android phones I've used. That being said, it taught me a few things... The most important; don't rely on technology, it's a tool not a means to an end. Reboot the phone every so often, it actually helps. Clear the cache every so often, it also helps. Another important one, just because you can have 10 apps open at one time doesn't mean you should.

I know it's not the answer you're looking for, and honestly I doubt you're going to get the answer you're looking for without someone sitting right next to you to analyze the problem when and as it happens, but hopefully what I said will help you in the future.

I will attest, Waze, doesn't fail on me often. But when I do use Spotify and Waze together, I tend to have a couple of problems. BUT there are LOTS of other mapping and navigation apps out there, so feel free to explore and find the one you like the most.
    Moto Photon Q (work/power phone) / Sam S5 (new primary) / Sam Continuum (music)
    Thanked by:

Depending on your phone for cross country navigation is fraught for errors.
    Lost cell site coverage causes problems. Missed exits just like you detailed. Get into dense forests or low lying rural areas and your phone is out of business.

I have used a Garmin GPS for 20 years and no cellphone can come close to what it will do consistently.

Now, if you are trying to navigate around in a metro area, the Google maps is good, and quite often has better detail than the Garmin (others too) GPS units. Simply because it takes years to get GPS databases updated.

Google's maps seem to be better with updates than the GPS manufacturer's info.
    Verizon Galaxy S5 since Launch Day, using ART
    Box Stock, not rooted
    Nova Prime, Textra, Blue Mail
    MacroDroid senses Scrn off=Wifi & Data OFF,
    senses Scrn on=WiFi & Data ON

Global Posts
    473 Global Posts

How hot was the phone ? The phone will shut it's self down or close apps if it starts to over heat .

Happened to me this past weekend for the first time ever.

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts

Obviously a app issue, not a coverage issue.

As others have reported the app just closes itself.

Hey, I live in Cumming GA off exit 13

Are using a GPS service? Or just the cell-tower triangulation feature on your phone?

True GPS will always give you better accuracy.

Global Posts
    91 Global Posts

It is Google maps. Version 8.1.0 has had a number of reports of it "going away" - often after an hour or so. I've had it happen just a few times recently. Never before.

Check:
    https://productforums.google.com/for...c/rl0JXrbSkgMJ

Great link .... thanks. Full of great information.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app

Waze is so much better then Google maps for navigation.

Sorry to hear your troubles. Maps is one of my favorite apps. Just last weekend we traveled to Savannah, GA. While coming home, we encountered 2 wrecks, 1 on I-95, & the other on I-26. Both times traffic was a stalemate. Maps found alternate routes on country back roads that ended up saving us time. I hope this issue is something easily fixed, because I would go crazy if my Maps app didn't work properly.

Posted with my badass Galaxy S5