Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Has anyone done any testing on the S5 using ART or Dalvik?

This has probably been discussed here but I can't find it. Has anyone done any testing on the S5 for either of these runtime systems. The stock S5 is running Dalvik but would like to know about the comparison with ART before a try it myself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app
  2. Best Answer

I converted to ART right after I got my S5, and while it felt a bit faster, I had several instances of the phone hanging and needing a reboot and two instances where it was so comatose that I needed to do a battery pull. I converted back to Dalvik after that.

Default re: Has anyone done any testing on the S5 using ART or Dalvik?

I converted to ART right after I got my S5, and while it felt a bit faster, I had several instances of the phone hanging and needing a reboot and two instances where it was so comatose that I needed to do a battery pull. I converted back to Dalvik after that.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I just ran a few tests after converting to ART. No way will I use it. Just like yourself, I had the same issues. Will stay with Dalvik for now. Even tried to run the An Tutu benchmark and could never get it to complete. I'll call it a learning experience.

I used ART for a few weeks. I had something within the camera app crash on me a few times and Polaris office crash on me and I switched back today. Its just not quite ready. Works pretty good but not well enough to rely on.

Posted via Android Central App

I changed to ART a few weeks ago. No complaint or issues and yes battery and performance improved a little.

I tried ART for a couple days. Did not notice any of the improvements in lag, stutter, or overall performance that some people have claimed. Did notice that apps opened slower.

That's not to say there isn't any benefit, it's just that if there is any, it wasn't much.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Wish I had a spare S5 to experiment with and give ART a better chance to prove itself. I use my current phone for work and play and cannot run what I needed using ART. Anyone have a spare S5 to lend me?

The version of ART on the S5 was put there so developers could start working with it.

Samsung states that it is a product in progress by Google, and Google says as much if you read their blog on it.

As such, it is a bit quirky but it does work, most of the time.

Faster? I didn't test it, did look at it, but didn't want to take the time to rebuild all my home screens and went back to stock.

I'm having nothing but success with art just switch to say ... everything a bit snappier less lag ... haven't experience an issue yet .... i must say I do really see a difference in everyday things I do on my phone

posted from the GALAXY S5 BEAST!
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

I must have done something wrong as all I had were issues and couldn't wait to switch back. One of the first apps I tried to run was the AnTuTu benchmark and it would not complete. Calls were left hanging so badly I needed to remove the battery to get the device to come back. I'm willing to try again but what should I do.?

I just turned it on I think the combo of my phone being rooted and art is a good combo ..

posted from the GALAXY S5 BEAST!

First app to fail/stop working.

Polaris Office 5. I couldn't open the receipt Apple Store sent me, it was pure jokes though we kept going back-and-forth. LOL I exchanged the iPad 4 I picked up for the Mini Retina and the sales said "I guess I should print the receipt this time, since your android can't open PDF files." LOL

I switched to ART and the phone told me that I was no longer allowed to update as I had voided the warranty. Luckily I have a replacement handset now for a different reason, but watch out for this guys as it might stop you getting updates

Quote Originally Posted by bembol View Post
    First app to fail/stop working.

Polaris Office 5.
    As I noted earlier in this thread, that was the stock app that I found didn't work.
    The other stock issue I experienced was a pop up in the camera app noting that dcim had crashed. Not exactly sure how it was worded but I remember dcim was in the wording and the camera appeared to be working anyways. Has anyone else had the same camera issue with ART?

Just so you know, you can just switch back to Dalvik to get updates. AC and these forums are pretty good about letting us know when there is an update coming from our carrier, so we can switch back then. (All that being said, certain apps, particularly Camera, are not working well for me on ART so I am on Dalvik full time now.)

Quote Originally Posted by tomothy94 View Post
    I switched to ART and the phone told me that I was no longer allowed to update as I had voided the warranty. Luckily I have a replacement handset now for a different reason, but watch out for this guys as it might stop you getting updates

I've been using ART for about a month on my rooted S5 Active. All my apps work fine including Polaris Office. No message about voiding the warranty. Since ART precompiles your applications, I have found that it launches everything faster. My battery life seems to have improved also. ART has been around for a while, and I used it on my S3 for the last year or so and never had any issues.YMMV.

Just tried ART on Samsung S5 (rooted).
    Much more sluggish, slower to open apps, etc. Reverted within the hour, nice and slick again!

Have no issues with ART but at the same time it doesn't feel any faster either

Posted via Android Central App

I had issues with ART on my phone
    I'm just going to wait till android L

Posted via Android Central App with my Samsung Galaxy S5