Can't delete folders on SD card with file manager

guitarfish

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
I've used ES File Explorer / Manager for years on my Androids. I've had the S5 for a few weeks, and I notice that I can't delete a folder on my SD card. I tried another File Manager from Cheetah, it can't do it either. I can create and delete folders on the phone storage. I can create folders on the SD card, but can't delete them.
For now, I have to connect a USB cable, and delete from my PC, which works fine.

Just wondering if anyone else has encountered this and has any ideas.

Mike Soucy

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

Brand new S5 user here and first smartphone (yes I am coming out of the dark ages finally) and I was starting to figure out how to set a small mp3 file for caller ringtones (a bit funky if you ask me but it works). I have X-Plore and ASTRO file installed atm. I will see if this occurs when I use either to create a folder.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to KitKat and it's VERY restricted use of the SD Card.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, if you're on the 'but this is more secure!' side), KitKat modified how apps can access the SD card, and now only system apps have more-or-less full access to it. If your phone has a stock File Manager, that should be able to delete the folder without issues.

bIOforger

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to KitKat and it's VERY restricted use of the SD Card.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, if you're on the 'but this is more secure!' side), KitKat modified how apps can access the SD card, and now only system apps have more-or-less full access to it. If your phone has a stock File Manager, that should be able to delete the folder without issues.

Correct you can only use the "My Files" application to do this as its a Samsung/system application. The other way around it is to root the phone and apply a SD Card "Fixer" which will re-enable the rights.

SpacemanSpifff

Jan 16, 2015
Visit site
I'm unable to delete files using My Files on my Samsung Galaxy S5 AT&T. I've tried ESFile Explorer, My Files, and Windows Explorer via USB. The only thing that works is taking the MicroSD card out and using Windows Explorer to delete the files. Any help?

edit: Samsung Kies works, but that's kind of annoying. Would love to be able to do everything via My Files app.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC