Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By Rev2010
  • 1 Post By Golfdriver97
  • 2 Post By Greg C
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Samsung says that we shouldn’t “be satisfied with what you’re used to” from other displays, includin

Samsung inadvertently calls the Galaxy S5′s display obsolete

Samsung also says that the S5 LTE’s display “is known to be 187% clearer” than the display on the Galaxy S5, which really does sound impressive although it’s very strange to hear Samsung already essentially admit that a product it released earlier this year is obsolete.

Are our eyes even good enough to tell the difference?

Default Re: Samsung says that we shouldn’t “be satisfied with what you’re used to” from other displays, incl

I can't begin to tell you how much useless spec pushing bothers me. Why would one need a 2560 display on a 5-6 inch cellphone?? If your eyes simply cannot resolve that resolution on that size screen it's absolutely pointless - just like 4K TV's in the average home. From the distance one typically sits from their TV even my 52" science and biology say my eyes can't resolve anything past 1080p unless I sit closer. So why are we so intent on bloating bandwidths, processors, and memory with all this excess information that is simply not resolvable by human eyes at normal usage distances?? I read a tech report that said Japan is looking to move to 4K then only within 2 years I believe it was they plan to make the jump to 8K broadcasting. Why?? Wish they'd just stop already.

Rev.
    Galaxy S5
    Ubuntu Linux 12.04
    IT Tech
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
    Ry, Greg C and Jon Jackson like this.

Global Posts
    23,118 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimKat

Default Re: Samsung says that we shouldn’t “be satisfied with what you’re used to” from other displays, incl

You might be surprised. There is a noticeable difference between my Moto X (roughly the same display) and my N5 and M8.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here, Developer Rules, and Marketplace
    Jon Jackson likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev2010 View Post
    I can't begin to tell you how much useless spec pushing bothers me. Why would one need a 2560 display on a 5-6 inch cellphone??
    Meh. "Science" tells me I shouldn't notice a difference in the resolution on my old GS3 (at 306ppi) compared to the GS5 (at 432ppi) but I certainly can see pixel sharpness differences, even at more than a foot away from my face.

Is jumping up to 500+ppi going to be as big of a perceived improvement? Most likely not. But I won't just adamantly say there will be no improvement.

Regardless, if the phone makers can come out with displays that look better than the GS5 screen in day-to-day usage, I'm all for it.

-Suntan

Global Posts
    1,911 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 5.0 Lollipop

Quote Originally Posted by Rev2010 View Post
    I can't begin to tell you how much useless spec pushing bothers me. Why would one need a 2560 display on a 5-6 inch cellphone?? If your eyes simply cannot resolve that resolution on that size screen it's absolutely pointless - just like 4K TV's in the average home. From the distance one typically sits from their TV even my 52" science and biology say my eyes can't resolve anything past 1080p unless I sit closer. So why are we so intent on bloating bandwidths, processors, and memory with all this excess information that is simply not resolvable by human eyes at normal usage distances?? I read a tech report that said Japan is looking to move to 4K then only within 2 years I believe it was they plan to make the jump to 8K broadcasting. Why?? Wish they'd just stop already.

Rev.
    I agree with you. I think it's used as a selling point to someone who doesn't know better.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5
    If my post helped you out...PLEASE be kind and hit the ​THANKS button.

Current Devices: Nexus 6 & Nexus Player

Current Carrier: Sprint
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
    Rev2010 and Ry like this.