Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    445 Global Posts

Default file transfer help

I just got a S5, love it.

coming over from iphone.

I am trying to get my music and photos onto a sd card.

I tried plugging in the phone with the card inserted into the phone and I cannot get it pop up on my desktop

I have a Mac.

I installed android file transfer and followed all the prompts but it pops up saying it cant connect to the device.

I went into dev tools and turned on usb option ( which I cannot find now ugh )

how can I connect this phone to a mac and drag and drop files ?

thanks

Default Re: file transfer help

Go into settings, scroll down to developer options, turn USB debugging off - you don't need that turned on. Be sure to use the data cable that came with your phone, if you're using an off brand it may not connect. When you plug in to your Mac, with the phone on, android file transfer should start and connect to your S5. You will get a window much like a Finder winder where you can drag and drop files into. If it fails to connect, try restarting your Mac with the phone still connected, sometimes it takes a restart the first time you connect through android file transfer, I have had that issue in the past.

Hi,
    I also have a Mac, and all I can tell you is to just keep trying. It's very frustrating, but if you continue to unplug and replug, with luck, it'll work for you.
    The last time I did it it took almost forty minutes, and if I hadn't been able to succeed previously, I probably would have felt it was impossible.
    PS :I have USB debugger activated. Thanks to mhunter for the tip.
    Posted via Android Central App
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    445 Global Posts

DO I need to transfer via phone ? or can I just plug card direclty into mac ?

I tried and moved a few files but they dont populate on my phone under music or photos

Quote Originally Posted by cpc12 View Post
    DO I need to transfer via phone ? or can I just plug card direclty into mac ?

I tried and moved a few files but they dont populate on my phone under music or photos
    If you're connected through android file transfer, create folders on your sd card and drag your files there, music, pictures, video, etc. Or if you have an adapter for the micro sd card card just plug it directly into your Mac and do the same. Create folders for the different media that you want to transfer on the sd card and put you files in the folders. The apps on the S5 will find the media that they can read so you can name the folders whatever you like.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    445 Global Posts

so if I use my adapter and open the sd card on my mac. I just create a music and photo folder and dump the files in the folders.

If I then plug the card into the phone it will automatically see the files in the folders and assign homes to the files ? i dont have to import anything ?

I tried this already with a few photos and music file and when I plugged the card back into the phone I looked in photos and did not see the new pics. I also looked in the music folder and did not see the album I added to the sd card.

am I doing something wrong ? DO i need envoke the phone to read the card ?

thanks I appreciate anyones time helping me out
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    445 Global Posts

Somehow I know have a white dot pop up when I try to select anything

how do I make this go away ?
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    445 Global Posts

starting to loose my sh*&t here

now when I pop the sd card into my mac is says unreadable. I formatted the card using the phone. but I did this once before and the mac read the card fine.

someone please help a brother out
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    445 Global Posts

OK got rid of the white dot and got my card to be readable everywhere. 3 red bulls later Im ready to transfer mystuff

i was able to see my music automatically

Quote Originally Posted by cpc12 View Post
    OK got rid of the white dot and got my card to be readable everywhere. 3 red bulls later Im ready to transfer mystuff

i was able to see my music automatically
    Sorry, I had to catch a few hours of sleep, I didn't have any red bulls handy sounds like you got it sorted out though. And yes, to answer your early question, just create a music folder (likewise a pictures folder) and put your files in them directly onto the sd card. Your Mac should not have any problem reading the sd card once formatted by the phone.