Galaxy S5 awful battery

duke4life

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
So I just got a brand new galaxy s5, and one of the reasons I got it was how great the battery was supposed to be. Well I get about 10 hours max on it with the screen time being just over an hour. Google play services takes up 63% of my battery. This can't be normal correct?

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
IDK what to make of this Google Play Services. I've seen it posted many times in battery threads.

I've had the S5 since launch, I only made minor changes in settings and except for the issue* I had a few days ago my battery life is amazing.

*I posted it in the battery thread, woke up with 96%, I was busy at work so didn't use it but after two hours I took out my S5 and the battery was down to 12%?!?

atishc

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Biggest culprits: leaving the GPS on (Location services should be turned to "Power saving") and Google services constantly syncing in the background (I turned off syncing of all the services I don't use under "Accounts" and inactivated Google+ on my phone.) I also am using the Qualcomm Battery Guru app, which I think is helping. This should improve things without impacting the normal functioning of your phone too much.

Also the phone gets very warm within 5 minutes of basic use

sirmaru

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Many apps go rogue after update. Use 2 fingers to down sweep and tap Ultra Power Saving Mode when the phone is not being used. Almost all apps are then disabled and the rogue ones get tamed.

thecomicbookandme

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
So I just got a brand new galaxy s5, and one of the reasons I got it was how great the battery was supposed to be. Well I get about 10 hours max on it with the screen time being just over an hour. Google play services takes up 63% of my battery. This can't be normal correct?

You are correct, this is not normal.
What I do when apps go "rogue" is uninstall and reinstall. You can't do that with Google play, but you can uninstall updates. I'd try that.

Posted via Android Central App

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-07-12-10-37-54.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-07-12-10-37-54.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 123

tomothy94

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Yeah you're right. It's your phone, not the phone. Get it swapped and make sure you aren't leaving any power hungry thing on for some reason

ItsMeMandi

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
I force close all apps and restart the phone and the battery level goes back to normal and that google play services goes away.

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I had the battery issue one time just like you described. I think a simple reboot was the fix. I also run in power saving mode nearly all the time. Without using power saving mode battery life is nothing to brag about. With it I have gone three days on a charge.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I just checked under Settings/Battery and Google Play Services isn't listed. Does this mean the "Sync" isn't running? My Google Calendar syncs across all my devices as well as Gmail. and Evernote. Maybe I don't quite understand how that works.
OP, that screen time/battery life and heat is unacceptable! I'd exchange it if you've determined there are no apps causing the problems.

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I swapped mine about 2 days after launch. Ever since then I have had solid battery all day till about 7pm until I need to recharge. I reboot mine every morning.

SAMmarked1

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Many people don't know but that Google services has to do with your Google account, they have like 20 things set to synch in their. Disable that and you will see major changes in battery power, I know I did.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
It is not the phone that is the issue, it is all of the accounts that are syncing up as just explained above my post.

Go to Google+ on the web and then Setup, turn off SYNC on everything that you can do with out.

I had it all turned off until today when I enabled Google Calendar sync. (a local snafu with missing my wife's doctor's appointment because her calendar, and my calendar, and my phone's calendar were not sync'd)

Those paper appointment slips they give you and go in your wallet? worthless if never looked at, and they surely don't give you notifications the day before :(

duke4life

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
So I turned off Google play services then turned it back on and it helped allot. I get about 20 hours pet charge with about 2 hours of screen time. Is that about right? Also phone gets very hot after about 5 minutes of constant use. Is that normal

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Many apps go rogue after update. Use 2 fingers to down sweep and tap Ultra Power Saving Mode when the phone is not being used. Almost all apps are then disabled and the rogue ones get tamed.

This doesn't fix his issue though when outside of that mode.

OP try Rebooting and see if it helps. If not try turning off the location services as others have mentioned.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Erich Feichtinger

May 2, 2014
Visit site
Biggest battery drain is GPS. Google play services uses gps for whatever reason make sure that is set to power saving. You'll get a notification through maps if and when you need to up the performance. Power saving mode is good but I hate limiting the performance of a phone I paid almost 700 dollars for, primarily for the performance :/. Other than that get a spare. Easy to swap and cheapies on Amazon (2 for 24 bucks with charger) will give you an additional 8-12 hours easy....

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
I've never done anything to address the battery and after 17-18 hours of using the phone I am still around 50%. You shouldn't have to disable anything, turn things off etc. You have a rouge app or you need to exchange your phone. Most people are going a day or two with their battery. And Ulta Power Savings Mode? Not needed for day to day life.

psp1232171

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm getting 24-25 hrs with 5 hrs screen time. I don't have any sprint apps, Samsung apps, gps, flip board, my magazine, picasa, Google+or smart stay running. And I do have the snapdragon battery guru. A little wifi and a little music streaming.

James Cathcart

Aug 2, 2014
Visit site
I mean no disrespect, and I hope that this will be taken in the humorous spirit with which it was intended, but I have to chuckle whenever I hear someone laud their battery life while describing how they have turned off nearly every feature on the phone.

It's like saying, "My BMW looks as new as the day I bought it! I drive it once a day for a couple of minutes and then park it back in the garage, protecting it under a tarp. I take off the tires every night before bed to reduce wear, and I never let anyone else sit in it. I've never used the Harmon Kardon 1000-watt stereo because I don't want to smudge the knobs, and I would never think of pushing the RPM's over 3000. It's an amazing car, I'm so glad I paid 45,000.00 for it!"

Folks, if you're turning almost everything off to eke out a few more amps a day, you are using the wrong phone. Get a free phone with an mp3 player and text messaging, and boom, Bob's your uncle. You shouldn't have to charge it more than twice a week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa