Frustrated with new s5 !

Gunny Fitz

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
Greetings All-

First time posting and just got my new S5 2 days ago and have been spending that time trying to set it up like I had my S3 (impressed with the difference between them though!) and here is my biggest issue I am hoping someone can help me out with!

Can I remove Chrome as my default web browser and even just use regular Google - or any other type?

I have searched EVERYWHERE for this answer and to the best of my knowledge read that Chrome is now set as Samsung's default and there is no way it can be changed to anything else. PLEASE tell me this is not true folks? If so I guess I need to suck it up and learn how to use the nasty Chrome and its applications now eh? How I wish I could have all my old bookmarks back off the S3 and get to them all with one hand -hell even blindfolded ya know? Anxiously waiting on some replies and if its able to be changed, perhaps even the steps needed to do so?

**Not that this has much impact on this topic but I am a 90% Disabled Veteran with Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) severe Cervical Spine damage, and of course PTSD all sustained from one last IED blast while in Marines in Iraq. This makes issues more difficult for me to process from point of reading something to point of actually processing it inside my grey matter. Hence reason I requested someone be able to write the steps on how to change browser out for me. Things just take longer for me -for the rest of my life now which sucks! At least I do have a full time certified Black Lab Service Dog I need everyday- unfortunately he can't figure out the new S5 either though :)

Many Thanks!

Gunny

bbmjack

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
I didn't understand 100% but I can tell what you want
I am same as your situation Google Chrome I don't need it . Now it's pre-installed can't be unistalled which called bloat ware
Go to settings and go to application manager go to all then disable Chrome.

Posted via Android Central App

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for your service.

Which carrier is your S5 with? On my T-Mobile S5, it came installed with two browsers. One labeled "internet", which I assume is a generic browser samsung created and the other is chrome. On my T-Mobile S5, I am able to set Chrome as my default browser as currently the default browser is the nondescript samsung browser labeled as "internet". I am able to toggle between these two browsers as the default.

However, my Verizon S5 only came with Chrome, but if I were to download another browser from the Play Store, like Dolphin Browser, I could set it as the default when I launched it. To set an app as the default, usually there is a pop-up the first time you use it (like a browser) that asks you if you would like to set it as the default and it *should* be that easy.

Hopefully I helped you, feel free to reply back if you need more help. On your s3 did you use the built-in browser for your bookmarks? There may be a way to export them in settings?

Gunny Fitz

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
First off, MANY thanks for the kind words and I appreciate that a lot. :)
Secondly, carrier is VZW and it only came with the Chrome so I guess I need to download Dolphin or some other one to use. I disabled Chrome but until i download something else there is no other choice to use. Sucks!

On that initial setup pop up thing, I assume that if you choose what comes up there you cannot go back and deselect it afterward? Wish I didnt agree to it but if i didnt what other choose would i have then ya know? Needless to say its causing me PTSD frustration flare up on such a stupid little issue - but then again thats what PTSD does, makes anything seem worse than it really is! UGH.
Lemme try the Dolphin thing if you feel thats a good program and then will report back.

Thanks EVERYONE for your input - so far this seems like a great site!

Thank you for your service.

Which carrier is your S5 with? On my T-Mobile S5, it came installed with two browsers. One labeled "internet", which I assume is a generic browser samsung created and the other is chrome. On my T-Mobile S5, I am able to set Chrome as my default browser as currently the default browser is the nondescript samsung browser labeled as "internet". I am able to toggle between these two browsers as the default.

However, my Verizon S5 only came with Chrome, but if I were to download another browser from the Play Store, like Dolphin Browser, I could set it as the default when I launched it. To set an app as the default, usually there is a pop-up the first time you use it (like a browser) that asks you if you would like to set it as the default and it *should* be that easy.

Hopefully I helped you, feel free to reply back if you need more help. On your s3 did you use the built-in browser for your bookmarks? There may be a way to export them in settings?

thecomicbookandme

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
To remove any application as default application, go to settings- applications- default applications , and select clear.
Download the browser that you want (Firefox, Opera are two examples).
When going to the internet, you will be given a choice of all the browsers you've downloaded.
Select one as default.
Piece of cake. 🍰
PS : If you don't select a specific browser, (or camera app, video player, etc) you will be given a choice of all the applications you have for that particular function.
Posted via Android Central App

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
As explained, clear out the browser defaults.

I highly suggest that you download and give CM Browser a try.
* CM Browser - Fast & Secure - Android Apps on Google Play

Extremely fast, very flexible, and has the smooooooothest screen Pinch 'n Spread that I have ever experienced.

Once you get it installed, click on it and make it the default. Or, if reading an email and you click on a link that opens a browser, you will be asked to select one. Select your favorite and then click ALWAYS.

Once that is done, it won't happen again.

As for Chrome and getting rid of it? Easy as Pie

click on the App Drawer (why is it called that? stupid), the block of dots on the right side of the Command Bar.
Slide the screens across until you find Chrome.

Now Long Press Chrome and "Uninstall" will show up at the top, drag Chrome to Uninstall and release.
Poof! it is gone.

JakePleasants

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
I can't add any substance to the topic as it's already been answered, but I do want to sincerely thank you for your selfless service. It's very much appreciated and doesn't go unnoticed.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the site, Gunny!

I didn't like the option of only having Chrome as the browser but I have grown accustomed to it. I've tried a few other browsers but didn't really feel them.

Enjoy your S5!

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
As explained, clear out the browser defaults.

I highly suggest that you download and give CM Browser a try.
* CM Browser - Fast & Secure - Android Apps on Google Play
Tried the CM browser. As you say, it's quick and pinch and zoom are smooth as butter but I uninstalled it immediately as it doesn't do text reflow...an absolute deal breaker for me.

As to the OP I'd recommend Dolphin or Opera. Right now I'm using Dolphin as I find it does pinch and zoom much more smoothly than Opera. They both do a superb job with text reflow so either would be a great alternative to Chrome (which I hate). As others have said, thank you so much for your service and your sacrifices. I know your service dog will be your best pal now and forever.

Gunny Fitz

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
I also went with the advice here and have installed and am using Dolphin now.
Been playing with it daily and have yet to find the best way to get icons for my most visited sites on the front page instead of having to hit the little Dolphin at bottom and open bookmarks. Having all of my bookmarks readily visible when I open the browser is to me the best feature to have. As stated earlier in my thread I have issues fumbling thru 5-6 clicks to find the bookmarks I am seeking and somehow found a way to get them as icons on browser homepage, but forget how I did it! LOL.

Thanks again everyone and I will surely keep Dolphin over Chrome for the rest of my days with this device - unless something better comes out!

- - - Updated - - -

I also went with the advice here and have installed and am using Dolphin now.
Been playing with it daily and have yet to find the best way to get icons for my most visited sites on the front page instead of having to hit the little Dolphin at bottom and open bookmarks. Having all of my bookmarks readily visible when I open the browser is to me the best feature to have. As stated earlier in my thread I have issues fumbling thru 5-6 clicks to find the bookmarks I am seeking and somehow found a way to get them as icons on browser homepage, but forget how I did it! LOL.

Thanks again everyone and I will surely keep Dolphin over Chrome for the rest of my days with this device - unless something better comes out!

theonlybuster

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I know most everything has been covered, I just want to say most carriers give you about 2 weeks to a month to test out a new device. If things aren't going well, they'll often allow you to return the phone and swap for something else. As long as you stick with their service, they often do not have a problem with them.
Of course you have to return the device in basically pristine condition. Some stores such a Radioshack and BestBuy allows this same type return. I believe BestBuy is 28days and Radioshack is 30 days if memory serves me well.

JakePleasants

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
I know most everything has been covered, I just want to say most carriers give you about 2 weeks to a month to test out a new device. If things aren't going well, they'll often allow you to return the phone and swap for something else. As long as you stick with their service, they often do not have a problem with them.
Of course you have to return the device in basically pristine condition. Some stores such a Radioshack and BestBuy allows this same type return. I believe BestBuy is 28days and Radioshack is 30 days if memory serves me well.

Best Buy is now 14 days (possibly 15, but I think it's 14) as well, unfortunately. They informed me when I bought my S5 from them.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for everything you've done for America. Sounds like you've sacrificed much for a good portion of this community, so THANK YOU! I don't have anything else to add to this, as it sounds like everyone else has already given the same advice that I would have. If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

jmagid51

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Gunny, thanks for the service to our great country. Welcome to the forums. Enjoy the S5.!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app

Wm7Long

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
...best way to get icons for my most visited sites on the front page..

I join with the others in saluting you for serving. Just want'd to point out that Firefox for Android (by Mozilla) does exactly what you're asking for with respect to giving you one touch access to your most visited sites on the very first screen you see upon opening Firefox. I think they call it their 'Awesome' screen or something like that. It shows your 6 most visited pages in 3 rows, each row with 2 thumbnail-birdseye views of those 6. These are follow'd by a listing of your next most often visited pages. In other words, it keeps track of your visits and creates these links for you automatically. Oh, and it's smooth as silk, fast, and free:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...details?id=org.mozilla.firefox&token=h24bCCfa

ram1220

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Gunny try Mercury browser. It will show all of your bookmarks on the home page the way you want. At least the version I am using on my HTC One M7 does. Hope this helps.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I just wanted to add that you can also add the icons and web shortcuts to your home screens so you can open your favorite websites without even opening the browser first. Here's how:

1. Open up your browser.
2. Go to your favorite website.
3. Click the menu button.
4. Choose "add shortcut to home screen".
5. Repeat steps 2-4 until all of your favorite sites are located on your phone's home screen.

Now the above steps will make all of your favorite sites accessible from your phone's home screen. From here on out all you have to do is click the icon for the site and it will open up in whatever browser you choose. Hope this helps.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kinmo