Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    1,653 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.4.2

Default Apex vs Nova

I have been using Apex Launcher for 3 years now. I have been reading about how Nova is getting better and better. I'm thinking about switching. Would someone who has used both tell me if it's worth it?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5
    If my post helped you out...PLEASE be kind and hit the THANKS button.

Default Re: Apex vs Nova

Nova is getting better a few days ago they released another update four previews for android L.

I never tried it but read that Apex is similar and just looking the screen shots on the Play Store, Nova looks cleaner and polished.

Pro S5
    "I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie (THE NEWSROOM, HBO)
    Thanked by:
    Greg C 

I search launchers almost daily to find a better one but Nova launcher right now is a far more superior app. Its design was thoughtfully made for the user and it is able to launch shortcuts from macrodroid even from gestures, setting it far above any other app as far as ability and reach
    Thanked by:
    Greg C 

I just bought apex pro today to get the uncount reads on missed calls and texts.

So what exactly nova prime is better than apex pro?

Posted via Android Central App

Nova for me.

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by PainFX View Post
    I just bought apex pro today to get the uncount reads on missed calls and texts.

So what exactly nova prime is better than apex pro?

Nova Prime does counts for email, texts, Google Voice etc too. I tried Apex on my droid 4 back in February 2012 when I got it. It made my droid 4 stutter a bit occasionally. So I tried Nova and it was smooth as silk. I've been using it on all my devices ever since. It has had several updates that just keep making it better and better.

Posted via a beautiful Ebony backed Moto X on Verizon or the amazing Nexus 10 using the Android Central App
    Tim
    Droid 4
    Nexus 10
    Lapdock 500 Pro

I had APEX for a long time and switched to Nova Prime. Nova is simply noticeably faster than APEX and has more/better features, like the unread counts as mentioned.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    1,653 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.4.2

Thanks all for the input. I decided to switch to Nova Prime.

Try action launcher. I used nova forever till action and I have not turned back.

I bought Action Launcher Pro, technically I didn't know what to do with the $25 Samsung Note 3 Play Store credit and also Taylor Martin of pocketnow recommended it.

I thought it was alright didn't compare to Nova. I did install it on my Mother's S3 and she love's accessing the all the apps through side bar. LOL
    "I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie (THE NEWSROOM, HBO)

Quote Originally Posted by GuyWith4Kids View Post
    Try action launcher. I used nova forever till action and I have not turned back.

I have heard good things about action launcher but I don't think I don't want to leave Nova.

Apex pro has unread counts to thats why i downloaded it.

Do these launchers seem to drain the battery or help it out? I like the looks of Nova. Is it as simple as download from the play store and run the app to set up?

Quote Originally Posted by archer23 View Post
    Do these launchers seem to drain the battery or help it out? I like the looks of Nova. Is it as simple as download from the play store and run the app to set up?
    My battery runs 18 hours. Nova is great. Try it.

Global Posts
    114 Global Posts

I've been using Nova Prime and love it. The Android L options are ok. But in general the launcher is pretty legit. It has the unread counts on most applications but also has the status bar watcher that will help out.

Posted via Nokia 6230 (I play snake)

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

Nova prime here as well, no icon for settings and applications .. Use gestures for them. also hide my notification and dock with gestures as well (swipe up swipe down) it's pretty cool. I have not tried other launchers can't compare but from most people Nova seems favorite.

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

Also just downloaded the free SwiftKey. I love it, my other keyboard would bug and automatically capitalize the first letters in each word, this keyboard is clean and smooth nice to pair it with Nova not to mention choose the theme, got the white one running

Quote Originally Posted by psp1232171 View Post
    My battery runs 18 hours. Nova is great. Try it.

Just installed and set it up. I like it so far. Seems snappy and like the ability to add rows of icons to the home screens. Using the free version for now, not sure the pay version has any features worth paying for, but will definitely consider it later. Is there a tips and tricks to this thing some where? Just want to make sure I'm maximizing it.

Quote Originally Posted by PainFX View Post
    Apex pro has unread counts to thats why i downloaded it.
    Nova does too.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Global Posts
    1,653 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.4.2

I'm really happy with switching to Nova Prime. It really is a lot more polished and it seems snappier than Apex. There are many more customizations available with Nova than with Apex. $4.00 very well spent!

bIOforger likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    I'm really happy with switching to Nova Prime. It really is a lot more polished and it seems snappier than Apex. There are many more customizations available with Nova than with Apex. $4.00 very well spent!

Could you please describe some of the things Nova can do that Apex can't? Thanks.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Global Posts
    1,653 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.4.2

Quote Originally Posted by mrsmumbles View Post
    Could you please describe some of the things Nova can do that Apex can't? Thanks.
    To start with...one cool feature is that after downloading and installing Nova...you are able to bring all your settings from Apex to Nova. You don't have to start from scratch and arrange your apps on each page. There are a lot more customization options than with Apex. Nova is smoother than Apex. I know everything I stated is pretty broad, but download the free version and give it a try....I think you would definitely buy the Prime version. I used Apex for 3 years before switching to Nova last night.

Here is a link to check out:

http://www.androidcentral.com/nova-l...oid-app-review
    Thanked by:

Oh thanks! That was one reason I was hesitating trying it, the thought of setting everything up all over again.
    Very cool that they keep your settings!
    Greg C likes this.

One thing i believe APEX can't do is Nova can create shortcut actions on swiping any icon OR folder upwards. This is brilliant, for example my dialer icon if i tap it opens the dialer keypad as normal, if i swipe the same icon up i've got it setup to launch my contacts. I have a similar thing for email and SMS, tap them they open as normal, swipe them up they open up a new message. You can set it up to launch anything pretty much. A simple idea yet so convenient.

You can also backup the backup settings to Dropbox and a like so you can do versioning and then you can choose different layouts for different days
    Last edited by bIOforger; 07-15-2014 at 05:28 AM.
    Thanked by 2:
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

Global Posts
    1,653 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.4.2

Quote Originally Posted by mrsmumbles View Post
    Oh thanks! That was one reason I was hesitating trying it, the thought of setting everything up all over again.
    Very cool that they keep your settings!
    I was hesitant to switch because of the thought of having to go in and set everything up the way I wanted. Than after reading about Nova in other posts I decidedit wwould be worth it. I was very pleasantly surprised when I saw that I could port my settings over from Apex to Nova. I think you will be happy with Nova if you give it a try.
    Thanked by:
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast