Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jmagid51
  • 1 Post By B. Diddy
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default s5 seems slightly slower now

The first two weeks with the phone were amazing. Everything was fast. Now 2 months in and it seems to have slowed some and has some lag. Nothing to serious. What is causing this? I haven't downloaded many apps since the start. Should I wipe the cache? How often should I do this? BTW I still love this phone!

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: s5 seems slightly slower now

Okay so this is the second thread on this if changing to ART is not the solution, clear the Cache?

I don't have that much apps and from time to time I clear the App Data which also clears the Cache.

No issues, lags or slow downs and I had the S5 since launch.

Pro S5

It won't hurt to wipe the system cache partition: Reset: Samsung Galaxy S 5 | T-Mobile Support

I still maintain that using an app like All-In-One ToolBox or the like, will help here and a side benefit of less "junk" is better battery performance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    140 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bembol View Post
    Okay so this is the second thread on this if changing to ART is not the solution, clear the Cache?

I don't have that much apps and from time to time I clear the App Data which also clears the Cache.

Pro S5
    Is there like a button that does all that in the phone? I have the apps that do it and I've read it does it on its own but of there is a setting to do that manually then I'd ditch the cleaner apps.

Posted via Nokia 6230 (I play snake)

For the tech savoy guys the method suggested by B. Diddy is the way to go. For the less tech savoy using the apps such as All-In-One ToolBox is the way to go ......

DacyJ, I found the button for you. I installed All-In-One Toolbox and they have a single button widget that does it all for those of us who don't have 3 hands

DacyJ likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bembol View Post

Pro S5
    Why do you think some people have good luck with ART and some people do not? I tried to use it and my phone reacted horribly, crashed, error messages, just horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Jackson View Post
    Why do you think some people have good luck with ART and some people do not? I tried to use it and my phone reacted horribly, crashed, error messages, just horrible.
    Most people who comment on ART on this forum have not had major problems on most phones (typically the Nexus devices). But some do have problems, like you. What phone do you have? ART seems to work best on Nexus devices, presumably because of the lack of manufacturer skin and bloatware.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Most people who comment on ART on this forum have not had major problems on most phones (typically the Nexus devices). But some do have problems, like you. What phone do you have? ART seems to work best on Nexus devices, presumably because of the lack of manufacturer skin and bloatware.
    The S5. Doesn't seem to like ART at all.

The S5. Doesn't seem to like ART at all.
    Regular S5, or Google Play Edition? If it's a regular one, I can't say I'm surprised, due to TouchWiz and all of those other Samsung goodies.

With the next major release of Android being based on ART as opposed to Dalvik should be interesting to see how the regular S5 plays.

Quote Originally Posted by jmagid51 View Post
    With the next major release of Android being based on ART as opposed to Dalvik should be interesting to see how the regular S5 plays.

If and when the Android L update for the S5 comes out, be prepared for glitchy Armageddon.

I'm guessing Carrier.

My S5 is from Bell, 900W8. It's not Rooter either (not into it).

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    It won't hurt to wipe the system cache partition: Reset: Samsung Galaxy S 5 | T-Mobile Support
    I understand that personal data isn't removed but does the phone settings revert back to factory? IOW will I have to rearrange my phone and settings? Thanks

Backup all personal data as the factory reset will remove it all. And yes all settings will revert to original from the factory.

Quote Originally Posted by monicakm View Post
    I understand that personal data isn't removed but does the phone settings revert back to factory? IOW will I have to rearrange my phone and settings? Thanks
    With a cache partition wipe, everything that you set up is left alone. What is wiped is the system's temporary data in the cache partition. This is not a factory reset.
    monicakm likes this.

Sorry, thought you were doing a factory rest.

I switched to Nova Launcher, does anyone think that would allow ART to run better?

I'm running Nova Prime. Try it.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

I will just wipe the cache partition. I did it a lot with my s3. Just wanted to see how often I should.

Posted via Android Central App