Battery Life Samsung S5 - What finally worked!

Angelo D

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
After weeks of turning removing bloatware and trying multiple battery APPS/process cleanup apps, I was't really getting anywhere with getting acceptable battery performance. Unless I used Ultra Savings mode, I was getting about 4-5 hours after a full charge.

What significantly extended the battery life to an acceptable level were:

1) Turned on normal power saving mode (not Ultra)
2)removed my SD card. It was an old one with corruption
3) trimmed my contacts. I had piled up 1200 contacts and trimmed it down to 300.
4) Turned off background data. (this is a checkbox on the power saving mode setting)

Very satisfied. Been on the same charge now for 22 hours and battery still has 33%

Angelo D

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
I never played Snake, but all my apps work. Google Play would not download with background data off. So if you need Google Play, you can just turn background back on for the duration you need it.

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I'm guessing the corrupted SD card was the problem. What happens is when the phone mounts the SD card and scans the media, that process runs nonstop if there is corrupt data. This will kill your battery every time consistently.

Posted via Android Central App

PainFX

May 2, 2014
Visit site
I'm guessing the corrupted SD card was the problem. What happens is when the phone mounts the SD card and scans the media, that process runs nonstop if there is corrupt data. This will kill your battery every time consistently.

how can u tell if sd card is scanning constantly'?

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site

^^^ What he said.

S5_GJH

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
I believe a corruption on my SD card was what was draining my battery too.

I backed it up on my laptop, formatted it on the phone. Restored all the data using KIES, and put it back in the phone.

Has been perfect ever since.

I can now get through a 10 hour working day, and come home with 90% battery.

Made me fall back in love with my S5 haha.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Do apps still work with background data off?

Posted via Nokia 6230 (I play snake)

I have had Background Data turned off on my S5 since the first day I got it.

It is NOT necessary for anything, unless you want the phone to keep talking home to momma every 5 minutes and chewing up your battery. Social apps and background data will eat up the battery.

gottria

Trusted Member
Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Just followed your steps and we will see what happens. I do have an exchange setup with push enabled so we will see how this works. All in all, think I might just go back to my Note 3 and wait for the Note 4.

Angelo D

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
I agree. It was happening on my S3 and I wrote it off to an old phone and battery. Then transferred the SD to the new phone. Still can't believe the difference. I go two full days now on one charge with moderate use of phone, internet etc..

Angelo D

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
I haven't formatted yet. Want to take a shot at recovering some pictures before I do that. It's probably a one shot deal to try to recover.