Anyone else experiencing freezing?

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I was getting the same problem on my S4 so I went ahead and got the S5 on Friday and it's doing the exact same thing. Sometimes under heavy use, the phone will just freeze up for like 20 seconds and I can't do anything. If I press the power button and then wake the phone again, it will bypass the lock screen and go right back to whatever frozen screen I was on. I did a factory reset on my S4 and it did nothing. I've cleared the Cache on this phone multiple times and it does nothing. I've tried different launchers, Nova and Apex and it does nothing. WTF is with this crap? I love this phone but a brand new phone freezing exactly the way my S4 did is complete crap. I've read thread after threads with tons of people having the black lock screen thing and various other problems. I'm thinking this is a Kitkat issue?

I'll take any suggestions on clearing this up but I've probably already tried them. I've gone through and done so many different things to try to prevent this and nothing works.

It's really bumming me out because I love everything about this phone but when it freezes up, it makes me want to throw it against the wall. I thought about bringing it back in since I just got in on Friday but I really don't think it's a hardware issue since I had the exact same problem on my S4. If the HTC1 M8 didn't have such a lousy camera, I'd think about switching to it.

jmagid51

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Two things I found and fixed.

1. Electronic gear does not respond well to static in the environment. For this a purchased a good case. OtterBox Defender.

2. I installed All-In-One Toolbox and used this app to clear junk on the device once a day.

The above eliminated the issue for me.

As an aside I tried the ART route and on my S5 it was horrid. Not rooted.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app

jmagid51

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Another thought comes to mind here. Check to see what processes are running in the background on your device. There maybe contention for memory.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Two things I found and fixed.

1. Electronic gear does not respond well to static in the environment. For this a purchased a good case. OtterBox Defender.

2. I installed All-In-One Toolbox and used this app to clear junk on the device once a day.

The above eliminated the issue for me.

As an aside I tried the ART route and on my S5 it was horrid. Not rooted.

1. I appreciate the suggestion on a case but I don't feel that that should have anything to do with it. I don't currently use a case on my phone and my S4 was fine for the longest time with no case up until I upgraded to Kitkat. Actually, it was even fine for a while after I upgraded to kitkat..

2. I had been using Master Cleaner to clean the Cache and clean up other apps but then I read a bunch of threads saying that those type apps slow down your phone and can actually cause the freezing. I've experienced this freezing problem both with and without master cleaner. I also used Clean master for a while. None of this made any difference.

It doesn't happen a lot, maybe 2 or 3 times a day but it's enough to piss me off. If it only happened once a week, I probably wouldn't complain but dealing with this multiple times a day is crap.

ART made my phone run badly as well. I ran it for like an hour and switched back to DALVIK.

PainFX

May 2, 2014
Visit site
I was getting the same problem on my S4 so I went ahead and got the S5 on Friday and it's doing the exact same thing. Sometimes under heavy use, the phone will just freeze up for like 20 seconds and I can't do anything. If I press the power button and then wake the phone again, it will bypass the lock screen and go right back to whatever frozen screen I was on. I did a factory reset on my S4 and it did nothing. I've cleared the Cache on this phone multiple times and it does nothing. I've tried different launchers, Nova and Apex and it does nothing. WTF is with this crap? I love this phone but a brand new phone freezing exactly the way my S4 did is complete crap. I've read thread after threads with tons of people having the black lock screen thing and various other problems. I'm thinking this is a Kitkat issue?

I'll take any suggestions on clearing this up but I've probably already tried them. I've gone through and done so many different things to try to prevent this and nothing works.

It's really bumming me out because I love everything about this phone but when it freezes up, it makes me want to throw it against the wall. I thought about bringing it back in since I just got in on Friday but I really don't think it's a hardware issue since I had the exact same problem on my S4. If the HTC1 M8 didn't have such a lousy camera, I'd think about switching to it.

Can you tell us what exactly are you doing for it to freeze and give us a picture of the memory usage?

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Can you tell us what exactly are you doing for it to freeze and give us a picture of the memory usage?
It happens randomly. I haven't noticed a pattern with it yet other than it seems to happen if I have more than one app running. I will try to get a screen shot but it's hard when the phone is frozen. I've looked after it happened and everything looked normal.

PainFX

May 2, 2014
Visit site
It happens randomly. I haven't noticed a pattern with it yet other than it seems to happen if I have more than one app running. I will try to get a screen shot but it's hard when the phone is frozen. I've looked after it happened and everything looked normal.

When the phone runs out of memory, it will freeze and try to refresh the memory. What apps are you running to make the phone freeze? Check in Application Manager and see which apps are eating up the memory of the phone..

jmagid51

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
If you are willing to try an experiment.

Install All-In-One Toolbox from the play store and under the tools section st the bottom of the screen run "One Key Clean" once a day for a few days and see what happens.

It's a memory issue ....

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
When the phone runs out of memory, it will freeze and try to refresh the memory. What apps are you running to make the phone freeze? Check in Application Manager and see which apps are eating up the memory of the phone..

It usually happens when I'm running Dolphin Browser and maybe have tapatalk running in the background. I've noticed when I stop watching a video, I'll try to open the task switcher and it will be frozen. I'm pretty OCD about not having too many apps running in the switcher so I can't imagine that a flagship phone can't handle what I'm throwing at it when I'm very anal about what programs I have open.

I have checked app manager right after it happens and don't notice anything that looks too out of the ordinary. Any suggestions on what I should be looking for? I haven't had this issue today so far. It happened twice yesterday and once I pulled the battery because it was frozen so badly. This just seems ridiculous that this is happening on this device, which is supposed to be a top of the line smartphone.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
If you are willing to try an experiment.

Install All-In-One Toolbox from the play store and under the tools section st the bottom of the screen run "One Key Clean" once a day for a few days and see what happens.

It's a memory issue ....

I'm absolutely willing to try an experiment. I've tried so many different things already so I'm happy to try this. Downloading now.

EDIT: I just installed and ran this and it cleaned a lot of stuff from the phone. Crossing my fingers that this fixes it. Thanks for the suggestion. It seemed to take longer and clean a lot more things than Clean Master or C Cleaner ever did.

jmagid51

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
If you can, please let us know what was cleaned and how much. Interested to see on a daily basis how much junk gets generated on the device. For me it is about 450 Mb per day.

Frozen Corpse

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
If like, check out Watchdog lite app. It'll let you know which apps are causing you problems.

I had the Note 3 and JUMPED to the S5 just to turn around and return the S5 after a few days of use due to the S5 having less ram than my last phone. The Note 3 having 3 gigs of ram and the bigger screen is the best part about this phone imo. The two things that I liked about the S5 is the TW improvements and the time it takes to restart the phone which is noticeably quicker than the Note 3.

Samsung Note 3
Posted via Android Central App

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
If like, check out Watchdog lite app. It'll let you know which apps are causing you problems.

I had the Note 3 and JUMPED to the S5 just to turn around and return the S5 after a few days of use due to the S5 having less ram than my last phone. The Note 3 having 3 gigs of ram and the bigger screen is the best part about this phone imo. The two things that I liked about the S5 is the TW improvements and the time it takes to restart the phone which is noticeably quicker than the Note 3.

Samsung Note 3
Posted via Android Central App
Cool, I'll check that out.
If you can, please let us know what was cleaned and how much. Interested to see on a daily basis how much junk gets generated on the device. For me it is about 450 Mb per day.

It was over 800 MB. I don't remember what was cleaned because I was at work and did it quickly.

jmagid51

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Ok, great. Let's see if that helps the situation at all. It would be nice to know what apps can leave that much junk behind and not clean up after themselves. Operating systems

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
This watchdog thing hasn't done any good so far. I had no programs other than wd running last night and plugged into the charger and it froze up for like 15 seconds. Wd didn't give any useful info. I have it set to aggressive as well.