Trying to stop my screen from waking up when I receive a text

jsiddle2025

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
I have a S5 Active on ATT, and my buddy has a S5 on sprint...

I know he doesn't modify or root at all, just uses the basic stuff like I do, but when he gets a text, his screen stays off, yet mine turns on...

Should be same touchwiz and os...

Does anyone know if theres a setting to keep the screen from turning on when I receive a text?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I know on the Note 3 there are these options. Usually the message preview is what causes this to turn on.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Attachments

• 1405545562080.jpg
    1405545562080.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 50

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I would like the sound and the LED notification, just hate that the screen turns on, especially when its in my pocket

If you have those same options just turn on notifications but turn off the message preview.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

LarryBauer

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem on my Galaxy S5 Verizon. I want to hear and feel the notifications, but I don't want the screen to turn on. If my phone is locked, it is not a problem. It lights up the screen for 3 seconds, and goes back to dark. If it is unlocked and dark, and a notification comes in, it turns the screen on. If it is in my pocket, sometimes moving around activates different apps. Even getting it out of my pocket sometimes messes with the things. I have my screen set to one minute timeout, because of this problem, but it still happens a lot. This is a bad problem that should have a setting or app to stop it. I'm using the default message app, and have checked the notifications settings. Nothing is set to show the message on the screen. I believe this happens from other apps too, such as FaceBook, GMail, ect.

Jim Buono

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
I have the GS5 from ATT and I get very annoyed by the same issue. I hate it when driving with my phone in my pocket the screen lights and the next thing I know a song is playing or the phone is calling someone.

I called ATT customer service and asked how to change it as I couldn't find a menu option. The rep I spoke with told me he'd gotten many call about the issue and there was no way to make it stop.

I don't remember my GS3 having the problem, I think I would have noticed. Next time around I'll ask and if its still an issue I won't be getting a GS6.

Chris Hawk

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
I have a S5 Active on ATT, and my buddy has a S5 on sprint...

I know he doesn't modify or root at all, just uses the basic stuff like I do, but when he gets a text, his screen stays off, yet mine turns on...

Should be same touchwiz and os...

Does anyone know if theres a setting to keep the screen from turning on when I receive a text?

Samsung Messenger doesn't have a way to stop it. I would just download Google's messenger. it's what comes pre-installed on everything else.