S5 Screen Issue

Coconutnut

Jul 19, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I'm from Australia and this is my first post here.

I am unfortunately now on my third Galaxy S5 all with screen defects.

The first two I returned amd exchanged with my provider since am given 28 days from purchase to exchange for 'early life failure'.

The problems I've had were; first phone having a brightness/colour disparity where the screen is slightly brighter at the bottom, darker at the top with colour differences apparent. The second phone I discovered a thin horizontal line of brightness across the screen, and the third has both. Whether the first phone had the 'line' or not I am now unsure, since upon finding the other problem I stopped use and returned it as soon as I was able to. Both issues can be seen in low brightness situations, at night or i doors in low to no light.

Now of course, being able to replicate the issue in store my phone was exchanged. But with the third phone, since it was found in store to have the 'line' it subsequently resulted the store employees and myself proceeding to test every s5 we could. All found to have the same line, as well as the Note 3 (I was told) and also possibly an M8. I did notice the brightness issue on other S5s, but the line was just easier to test in a bright environment.

Before returning my second phone, I contacted Samsung asking if they were aware of any issues and what they could do for me. Obviously they told me they weren't aware, and we agreed it best to deal with my service provider for the time being. I was not keen to go through boxes of brand new S5s and search for one without fault, nor were my provider of course lol. Logical really.

Has anyone noticed either of these issues at all?

The line: seen mainly in low brightness, flat colours such as grey, flat navy, greyish green, blue etc. Try the standard flat turquoise home wallpaper, email or play store grey backgrounds. A great way is to use a paint program, and fill the backround with one flat greyish colour.

The brightness/colour thing can be seen similarly, but perhaps even lower brightness. Another good test is Chrome, that blackish screen with all windows closed, but in extreme dark environment.

Any help or replies would be appreciated, thankyou :)

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I have a solid black wallpaper background, and I just turned the brightness down to minimum to look for what you describe.

I cannot detect anything abnormal on the display at all.

is the line you see "white" or "black" or in between?

PainFX

May 2, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I'm from Australia and this is my first post here.

I am unfortunately now on my third Galaxy S5 all with screen defects.

The first two I returned amd exchanged with my provider since am given 28 days from purchase to exchange for 'early life failure'.

The problems I've had were; first phone having a brightness/colour disparity where the screen is slightly brighter at the bottom, darker at the top with colour differences apparent. The second phone I discovered a thin horizontal line of brightness across the screen, and the third has both. Whether the first phone had the 'line' or not I am now unsure, since upon finding the other problem I stopped use and returned it as soon as I was able to. Both issues can be seen in low brightness situations, at night or i doors in low to no light.

Now of course, being able to replicate the issue in store my phone was exchanged. But with the third phone, since it was found in store to have the 'line' it subsequently resulted the store employees and myself proceeding to test every s5 we could. All found to have the same line, as well as the Note 3 (I was told) and also possibly an M8. I did notice the brightness issue on other S5s, but the line was just easier to test in a bright environment.

Before returning my second phone, I contacted Samsung asking if they were aware of any issues and what they could do for me. Obviously they told me they weren't aware, and we agreed it best to deal with my service provider for the time being. I was not keen to go through boxes of brand new S5s and search for one without fault, nor were my provider of course lol. Logical really.

Has anyone noticed either of these issues at all?

The line: seen mainly in low brightness, flat colours such as grey, flat navy, greyish green, blue etc. Try the standard flat turquoise home wallpaper, email or play store grey backgrounds. A great way is to use a paint program, and fill the backround with one flat greyish colour.

The brightness/colour thing can be seen similarly, but perhaps even lower brightness. Another good test is Chrome, that blackish screen with all windows closed, but in extreme dark environment.

Any help or replies would be appreciated, thankyou :)

Can you post a pic of what you are describing?

Coconutnut

Jul 19, 2014
Visit site
Hi, to answer the first question; the line is light or actually it's brightness, not a particular colour. Hopefully these pictures should clear that up.

Since the defects are seen mostly in low light and lower screen brightness I had to take the pictures that way. And of course that meant using a longer exposure, resulting in me being only able to take pics of particularly blunt colours. To the eye, the line is still visible in apps such as mail and browser grey backgrounds, but these were too bright capture well due to the lighter grey colour overexposing plus other brighter details on the screen, and I could only work within a small range without getting those screen refresh lines which severely hamper the details.

Nonetheless these pics show the line, while also exaggerating other imperfections on the screen, most noticeably four panels which can be seen by eye in very low light and seem to contribute to the brightness/colour unevenness which is seen in everyday low light use. Also, the colours that appear not to be solid are due to the disparity issue I mentioned in my inital post. If they seem unclear, or you think better pictures can be taken then I will try to do more tomorrow when I have more time. Pics taken with both phone and dslr camera in fixed positions, and again the screens with single colours are supposed to be solid colours.

Thanks again :)

Attachments

• IMG_3052ss.jpg
    IMG_3052ss.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_3056ss.jpg
    IMG_3056ss.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_3057ss.jpg
    IMG_3057ss.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_3061ss.jpg
    IMG_3061ss.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_3075ss.jpg
    IMG_3075ss.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_3081ss.jpg
    IMG_3081ss.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 140

SamsungAU

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Sorry to hear that you’ve been experiencing issues with your Galaxy S5, we’d like to follow it up for you & get it resolved, however we are unable to find your information in our system with limited details provided. Can you please get in touch with us either on Facebook or email your contact details r.misra@partner.samsung.com. Thanks Samsung Australia

Last edited by a moderator:

Coconutnut

Jul 19, 2014
Visit site
Sorry to hear that you’ve been experiencing issues with your Galaxy S5, we’d like to follow it up for you & get it resolved, however we are unable to find your information in our system with limited details provided. Can you please get in touch with us either on Facebook or email your contact details r.misra@partner.samsung.com. Thanks Samsung Australia

Hi, thanks for your reply. I'm also looking forward to a resolution as I just want to finally use my S5! Without having to keep chasing a decent screen. I'll send you an email to that adress.

bibbycu

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
Found the same issue with the brightness of the display in the bottom of it. I replaced my first s5 because the cover was not sealing 100%, now i'll have to check again with them for this issue :( damn it Samsung!

LE: well i just check and i ll get my s5 replaced again, hopefully now it will be ok. I ll reply with the results.

Last edited:

mwboost

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I have the same type of problem. On my THIRD S5. Aus too.
I'm guessing it's just the way they all are. And the way they light up.
I also notice the line which is about an inch from the bottom of the screen. And sometimes in the middle. I can see it on the facebook log in screen and also the greyish green colours. Also mainly in dark dim situations. Sometimes those colours look a little uneven too. In and outside.Does not cause any viewing problems with videos,games or pics though.

I almost bought a HTC butterfly 2 from overseas because i was sick of the screen never being 100% on the S5's.

Rony Vieira

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
I'm experiencing the same issue. But on mine the screen bottom is brighter than the top and it kinda blinks to the same brightness of the top. It's so annoying! Just notice reducing the brightness to use on a dark room.

Kahlia McClymont

Aug 23, 2015
Visit site
hi,

I am on my second Samsung galaxy s5 and it has the same issue as the first (also live in Australia) I went into my phone provider and they changed it over for me, but the longer I've had this phone the more I realize it has the same issue.
I am eligible to get a new phone in May of next year, but I want to know if anybody has found a solution for this problem yet as I would hate to have to go back into my provider again to get it replaced. Is this a common thing? an easy fix?
I have noticed that it's more intense since the update, and I've looked at two of my friends Samsung's and they don't seem to have an issue.

One very unhappy Samsung customer :(

Please help as I don't think this is healthy for a phone.

Alicia Erlich

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Hi. My friend here in the USA is having the same or similar screen issue. Screen went black but you can see fragments of the home screen. No water damage and this is the second S5 to have this problem. Tomorrow she will be getting another warranty replacement making it her third S5 in a year. I had the first replaced in May for a screen issue and now it's August. ATT said Samsung is not aware of any screen issues for this device. Hopefully her replacement will not have it.

Posted via Android Central App

BR34KF4ST

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
well same goes for me,bottom half is slightly brighter then the top half and it also flickers,this only happens when my brightness is minimal though,when i turn up the brightness its fine.Ive also tried clearing cache,safe mode, also a factory reset.

Keithy2345

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
I have the same thing I replaced it once and had the same thing with the second one I'm pretty sure it has to do with how the super amoled display works you most likely won't see that on lcd displays, I just learned to get over it as soon as I realized it was the way the display works. I hope I helped you out if you haven't resolved your problem yet. ☺

Posted via the Android Central App

Jmstockwellj

May 28, 2016
Visit site

Have the same issue here. (Ohio USA with S5). The brightness is different and the line is exactly where the keyboard pops up. So not quite the bottom half.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith