Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default S5 Screen Issue

    Hi, I'm from Australia and this is my first post here.

    I am unfortunately now on my third Galaxy S5 all with screen defects.

    The first two I returned amd exchanged with my provider since am given 28 days from purchase to exchange for 'early life failure'.

    The problems I've had were; first phone having a brightness/colour disparity where the screen is slightly brighter at the bottom, darker at the top with colour differences apparent. The second phone I discovered a thin horizontal line of brightness across the screen, and the third has both. Whether the first phone had the 'line' or not I am now unsure, since upon finding the other problem I stopped use and returned it as soon as I was able to. Both issues can be seen in low brightness situations, at night or i doors in low to no light.

    Now of course, being able to replicate the issue in store my phone was exchanged. But with the third phone, since it was found in store to have the 'line' it subsequently resulted the store employees and myself proceeding to test every s5 we could. All found to have the same line, as well as the Note 3 (I was told) and also possibly an M8. I did notice the brightness issue on other S5s, but the line was just easier to test in a bright environment.

    Before returning my second phone, I contacted Samsung asking if they were aware of any issues and what they could do for me. Obviously they told me they weren't aware, and we agreed it best to deal with my service provider for the time being. I was not keen to go through boxes of brand new S5s and search for one without fault, nor were my provider of course lol. Logical really.

    Has anyone noticed either of these issues at all?

    The line: seen mainly in low brightness, flat colours such as grey, flat navy, greyish green, blue etc. Try the standard flat turquoise home wallpaper, email or play store grey backgrounds. A great way is to use a paint program, and fill the backround with one flat greyish colour.

    The brightness/colour thing can be seen similarly, but perhaps even lower brightness. Another good test is Chrome, that blackish screen with all windows closed, but in extreme dark environment.

    Any help or replies would be appreciated, thankyou
  2. #2  

    Default Re: S5 Screen Issue

    I have a solid black wallpaper background, and I just turned the brightness down to minimum to look for what you describe.

    I cannot detect anything abnormal on the display at all.

    is the line you see "white" or "black" or in between?
  3. #3  

    Default Re: S5 Screen Issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Coconutnut View Post
    Hi, I'm from Australia and this is my first post here.

    I am unfortunately now on my third Galaxy S5 all with screen defects.

    The first two I returned amd exchanged with my provider since am given 28 days from purchase to exchange for 'early life failure'.

    The problems I've had were; first phone having a brightness/colour disparity where the screen is slightly brighter at the bottom, darker at the top with colour differences apparent. The second phone I discovered a thin horizontal line of brightness across the screen, and the third has both. Whether the first phone had the 'line' or not I am now unsure, since upon finding the other problem I stopped use and returned it as soon as I was able to. Both issues can be seen in low brightness situations, at night or i doors in low to no light.

    Now of course, being able to replicate the issue in store my phone was exchanged. But with the third phone, since it was found in store to have the 'line' it subsequently resulted the store employees and myself proceeding to test every s5 we could. All found to have the same line, as well as the Note 3 (I was told) and also possibly an M8. I did notice the brightness issue on other S5s, but the line was just easier to test in a bright environment.

    Before returning my second phone, I contacted Samsung asking if they were aware of any issues and what they could do for me. Obviously they told me they weren't aware, and we agreed it best to deal with my service provider for the time being. I was not keen to go through boxes of brand new S5s and search for one without fault, nor were my provider of course lol. Logical really.

    Has anyone noticed either of these issues at all?

    The line: seen mainly in low brightness, flat colours such as grey, flat navy, greyish green, blue etc. Try the standard flat turquoise home wallpaper, email or play store grey backgrounds. A great way is to use a paint program, and fill the backround with one flat greyish colour.

    The brightness/colour thing can be seen similarly, but perhaps even lower brightness. Another good test is Chrome, that blackish screen with all windows closed, but in extreme dark environment.

    Any help or replies would be appreciated, thankyou
    Can you post a pic of what you are describing?
  4. #4  

    Default Re: S5 Screen Issue

    Pics would definitely help.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: S5 Screen Issue

    Hi, to answer the first question; the line is light or actually it's brightness, not a particular colour. Hopefully these pictures should clear that up.

    Since the defects are seen mostly in low light and lower screen brightness I had to take the pictures that way. And of course that meant using a longer exposure, resulting in me being only able to take pics of particularly blunt colours. To the eye, the line is still visible in apps such as mail and browser grey backgrounds, but these were too bright capture well due to the lighter grey colour overexposing plus other brighter details on the screen, and I could only work within a small range without getting those screen refresh lines which severely hamper the details.

    Nonetheless these pics show the line, while also exaggerating other imperfections on the screen, most noticeably four panels which can be seen by eye in very low light and seem to contribute to the brightness/colour unevenness which is seen in everyday low light use. Also, the colours that appear not to be solid are due to the disparity issue I mentioned in my inital post. If they seem unclear, or you think better pictures can be taken then I will try to do more tomorrow when I have more time. Pics taken with both phone and dslr camera in fixed positions, and again the screens with single colours are supposed to be solid colours.

    Thanks again
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails S5 Screen Issue-img_3052ss.jpg   S5 Screen Issue-img_3056ss.jpg   S5 Screen Issue-img_3057ss.jpg   S5 Screen Issue-img_3061ss.jpg   S5 Screen Issue-img_3075ss.jpg  

    S5 Screen Issue-img_3081ss.jpg  
    bill_v likes this.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: S5 Screen Issue

    Sorry to hear that you’ve been experiencing issues with your Galaxy S5, we’d like to follow it up for you & get it resolved, however we are unable to find your information in our system with limited details provided. Can you please get in touch with us either on Facebook or email your contact details r.misra@partner.samsung.com. Thanks Samsung Australia
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: S5 Screen Issue

    Quote Originally Posted by SamsungAU View Post
    Sorry to hear that you’ve been experiencing issues with your Galaxy S5, we’d like to follow it up for you & get it resolved, however we are unable to find your information in our system with limited details provided. Can you please get in touch with us either on Facebook or email your contact details r.misra@partner.samsung.com. Thanks Samsung Australia
    Hi, thanks for your reply. I'm also looking forward to a resolution as I just want to finally use my S5! Without having to keep chasing a decent screen. I'll send you an email to that adress.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: S5 Screen Issue

    Hi,
    Found the same issue with the brightness of the display in the bottom of it. I replaced my first s5 because the cover was not sealing 100%, now i'll have to check again with them for this issue damn it Samsung!

    LE: well i just check and i ll get my s5 replaced again, hopefully now it will be ok. I ll reply with the results.
  9. #9  
    mwboost's Avatar

    Posts
    74 Posts
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts

    Default Re: S5 Screen Issue

    I have the same type of problem. On my THIRD S5. Aus too.
    I'm guessing it's just the way they all are. And the way they light up.
    I also notice the line which is about an inch from the bottom of the screen. And sometimes in the middle. I can see it on the facebook log in screen and also the greyish green colours. Also mainly in dark dim situations. Sometimes those colours look a little uneven too. In and outside.Does not cause any viewing problems with videos,games or pics though.

    I almost bought a HTC butterfly 2 from overseas because i was sick of the screen never being 100% on the S5's.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: S5 Screen Issue

    I'm experiencing the same issue. But on mine the screen bottom is brighter than the top and it kinda blinks to the same brightness of the top. It's so annoying! Just notice reducing the brightness to use on a dark room.
  11. #11  

    Angry Re: S5 Screen Issue

    hi,

    I am on my second Samsung galaxy s5 and it has the same issue as the first (also live in Australia) I went into my phone provider and they changed it over for me, but the longer I've had this phone the more I realize it has the same issue.
    I am eligible to get a new phone in May of next year, but I want to know if anybody has found a solution for this problem yet as I would hate to have to go back into my provider again to get it replaced. Is this a common thing? an easy fix?
    I have noticed that it's more intense since the update, and I've looked at two of my friends Samsung's and they don't seem to have an issue.

    One very unhappy Samsung customer

    Please help as I don't think this is healthy for a phone.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: S5 Screen Issue

    Hi. My friend here in the USA is having the same or similar screen issue. Screen went black but you can see fragments of the home screen. No water damage and this is the second S5 to have this problem. Tomorrow she will be getting another warranty replacement making it her third S5 in a year. I had the first replaced in May for a screen issue and now it's August. ATT said Samsung is not aware of any screen issues for this device. Hopefully her replacement will not have it.

    Posted via Android Central App
  13. #13  

    Default Re: S5 Screen Issue

    well same goes for me,bottom half is slightly brighter then the top half and it also flickers,this only happens when my brightness is minimal though,when i turn up the brightness its fine.Ive also tried clearing cache,safe mode, also a factory reset.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: S5 Screen Issue

    i also updated to lollipop just to see whether the issue was resolved,apprently not

    Posted via the Android Central App
  15. #15  

    Default Re: S5 Screen Issue

    Quote Originally Posted by BR34KF4ST View Post
    i also updated to lollipop just to see whether the issue was resolved,apprently not

    Posted via the Android Central App
    Because most chances its a hardware faulty. Not a software faulty.

    Posted with ❤Love❤
  16. #16  

    Default Re: S5 Screen Issue

    I have the same thing I replaced it once and had the same thing with the second one I'm pretty sure it has to do with how the super amoled display works you most likely won't see that on lcd displays, I just learned to get over it as soon as I realized it was the way the display works. I hope I helped you out if you haven't resolved your problem yet. ☺

    Posted via the Android Central App
  17. #17  

    Default Re: S5 Screen Issue

    Quote Originally Posted by SamsungAU View Post
    Sorry to hear that you’ve been experiencing issues with your Galaxy S5, we’d like to follow it up for you & get it resolved, however we are unable to find your information in our system with limited details provided. Can you please get in touch with us either on Facebook or email your contact details r.misra@partner.samsung.com. Thanks Samsung Australia
    Have the same issue here. (Ohio USA with S5). The brightness is different and the line is exactly where the keyboard pops up. So not quite the bottom half.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 39
    Last Post: 01-30-2015, 04:15 AM
  2. Hangouts Works w/ S5 but Not GN/2014
    By monicakm in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-25-2014, 09:42 AM
  3. Random Issue - Phone Turned Off
    By sticker12 in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-21-2014, 07:09 AM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-19-2014, 10:16 PM
  5. help! bluetooth issue
    By Courtenay Dawn in forum Samsung Galaxy S5
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-18-2014, 10:46 PM

Posting Permissions